Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Micael Fatia

A Very Barrows New Year!

A Very Barrows New Year!

While we’re looking bleary eyed and shaggy after New Year, we can honestly say that the reworked Barrows and Barrows Brothers are faring much better! Head to southern Morytania, as the Barrows Brothers are waiting and they look nothing short of dazzling.
The first change you’ll notice is to the surface environment. Creeping mist encircles your feet, and the mounds genuinely look like a resting place for the damned, rather than a series of grassy hillocks. Next, take a deep breath and delve below the surface, where you’ll be thoroughly unsettled by the dank and imposing crypts.

barrowsinterior.gif

Are you brave enough to take the fatal step to wake a Barrows Brother? Pluck up the courage, and you’ll come face-to-face with metallic black and grey armour for these iconic enemies. While you might have had a soft spot for the pink and purple look, we think that their new get-up makes them more fearsome and better represents the gear they offer. What’s more, if you’ve claimed any of the Brothers’ armour or weapons for your own, the new look will be reflected in the worn gear as well.

To celebrate all of these improvements, we’ve given you a 1 in 10 chance of getting double drops on any runes, bolt racks and Barrows items you might receive. That also extends to a new draconic visage drop. These bonuses will only stay in game until the 11th of January, so get looting!

Have a Very Barrows New Year!

Mod Tim
RuneScape Content Developer

I think the new armours would look a lot better if the colours weren't all so similar, it makes it hard to differentiate between them, and you can't see the details from a normal view. Apart from this, they look good, except for ahrims hood, which seems to be plastered to your head now.

Has anyone else noticed that karils and veracs skirts are no longer skirts (except by name)?

Is anyone else unhappy about the way they placed that completely unnecessary deposit money button in the bank interface? I deposit my money instead of inventory every time and I never have to deposit money.

EDIT: Post some screenshots of the new appearance of the armor...

Edited by Roy

wow, vissy? srs?

well, sure, Idm doing barrows, 'specially with polypore out

Hi

Today we have taken the decision to reduce the requirement for this month’s Firemaker’s Curse quest. We are reducing the Firemaking level required to complete the quest to level 74 (from level 90).

We are also increasing the Firemaking requirement to access the associated pets and one of the unique skill rewards from level 90 to level 91.

The behind the scenes article has been changed accordingly.

Simply put, I want to make this excellent piece of content more accessible to a greater number of players, and I do not think it’s appropriate to ask a player interested in story content to have to get level 90 in Firemaking.

It’s always difficult to make changes to content at the last minute (especially for the developers and testers involved) and I should have identified this at a much earlier stage in the development of the quest. The high-level firemakers will still have access to unique content, so I hope those that already have achieved level 91 will feel that the unique rewards are a return for doing so.

Please remember that statements made in the BTS are often subject to change, although we do everything in our power to avoid it where possible.

Feel free to post your feedback here.

Cheers for reading

Mod Mark

Lead Designer – RuneScape

At least we still get rewards for having high firemaking.

I can't complain. It's a great compromise. Good work, Jagex!

OOh it all looks very snazzy! I do like the new armour!

Mahogany and teak logs now have a "Craft" option.

1234931504682.jpg

What about Eucalyptus?

Can eucalyptus logs be crafted? I wasn't aware there was a crafting use for them.

Mahogany and teak logs now have a "Craft" option.

1234931504682.jpg

What about Eucalyptus?

Jagex why you ruin my woodcutting....

Never before have the barrows armours looked so unified or indeed so cool. Some of them have indeed changed, with Ahrim's hood becoming more of a cowl and Karil's top losing those prisoner stripes, but on the whole they look like ancient cursed armour of incredible strength supplied by an incredibly powerful being. And they look similair to each other, and said armour looks excellent. For me, the only way this armour could be called rubbish is out of a sense of nostalgia or a sense of hate towards the 'slightly exaggerated fantasy' look jagex has been aiming for in the last few graphical updates.

I'm also glad to see the bonus drops aren't here for long. While an interesting case can be made for a visage from Sliske, it's clear that (a) his most powerful stuff is probably stored somewhere slightly less vulnerable, and (b) for the sake of cost and other factors visages are better left as a rare drop from the creations of the Dragonkin.

Can eucalyptus logs be crafted? I wasn't aware there was a crafting use for them.

Hopefully not. If there is a craft option for them, then my plans of getting 92 Firemaking are ruined.

Hopefully not. If there is a craft option for them, then my plans of getting 92 Firemaking are ruined.

I know they can't be fletched, so I'm not sure if there should be a secondary option implemented with them.

All I can say is I personally hate the way Barrows armor looks now.

Or just have a tinderbox in your inventory and do it the old way. :(

Or just have a tinderbox in your inventory and do it the old way. :(

I'd rather not train Firemaking than do that again. :D

By far one of Jagex's worst updates ever. The graphics designers should be shot and/or mutilated.

By far one of Jagex's worst updates ever. The graphics designers should be shot and/or mutilated.

That's a little extreme, don't you think?

visagefrombarrows2.png

visage lololol

Edited by Sub

Karils just looks gross, same with ahrims but the melee armours are decent, there wasn't a need for a change they all looked better before for sure.

It all looks like torva/gandoermic now

It's honestly not that bad, people just need to learn to accept change. I will admit, though, Ahrim's, and Guthan's look terrible. Karil's isn't the greatest, but nothing compared to the previously mentioned.

I think the new barrows designs are interesting. I have my own personal preferences for changes but overall I think the models are fairly nice even if some look a little too similar. My major complaint is in the coloration. That weird green-gray might make it suitable for the shades in the activity but it looks terrible next to all the other items in rs. I think the armor you get should have a different set of colors that make it look less like you're a dead corpse and more like you're wearing the badass armor of an ancient warrior.

Also does anyone else think the green skin of the brothers makes them look kind of orcish? Not the LOTR orcs but the warcraft/elderscrolls cartoony greenish type.