Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Clavius

Death penalty

...So the death penalty doesn't make sense? Tell me if I'm reading that wrong.

I don't think ANY employer would like to hire anyone who has committed a capital crime such as rape or murder, so what's the point of rehabilitation?

I don't see where employment becomes a requirement or a necessary goal in rehabilitation...

Well if the purpose of rehabilitation is to release the convicted back into the public, what's the point if they aren't going to get a job and just leech off the government?

You should value everyones life as much as you value your own.

Also, I've stated millions of times but I'll reiterate here because it's relevent: I'm not religious, I place my value in human life seperate from religion.

Life, in its essence, is void of meaning or intrinsic value. I do not value the life of a random stranger, however other people might. I care about those I care about, I don't care about all human life. I'm not Santa. And truly, valuing someone else's life as much as your own won't make you last longer than half a second in a survival setting.

This sums up my ideas about it perfectly:

franquin-idees-noires.jpg

For those who don't understand, it says something along the lines of: "The law is clear. Everyone who takes another person's life must be decapitated." The following few images should be clear. An "official" kills a criminal sentenced to death, and immediately after that he gets his own head chopped off, because the law is clear, and for everyone.

I don't think ANY employer would like to hire anyone who has committed a capital crime such as rape or murder, so what's the point of rehabilitation?

I don't see where employment becomes a requirement or a necessary goal in rehabilitation...

Well if the purpose of rehabilitation is to release the convicted back into the public, what's the point if they aren't going to get a job and just leech off the government?

Realizing that this is a topic about the death penalty, are you saying we should kill murderers/rapists/whatever because they wouldn't be able to get a job?

It's a whole seperate ballpark, and a whole seperate debate about whether or not employers should be able to make the decision to hire someone or not based off of past criminal history, but regardless (I'm guessing here, so if anyone has any stats to back me up that'd be great!) I have a feeling that if executing someone costs more than life in prison, it'd DEFINITELY cost more than them being on welfare.

Also, I've stated millions of times but I'll reiterate here because it's relevent: I'm not religious, I place my value in human life seperate from religion.

Life, in its essence, is void of meaning or intrinsic value. I do not value the life of a random stranger, however other people might. I care about those I care about, I don't care about all human life. I'm not Santa. And truly, valuing someone else's life as much as your own won't make you last longer than half a second in a survival setting.

I don't know if you deliberately missed my second post or if it was an accident, so here it is:

I value my life over others. Without my life, I cease to exist. Without someone elses life, I still exist.

Call me selfish or whatever, but that's the way I feel.

Oh I'm aware that everyone will, in their most primal form, disagree with me, and truthfully so would I in a situation whereby I had to choose between myself and another.

However it's an ideal to work towards, where you value other peoples' lives as much as you value your own. In a situation where your own life isn't in danger, it allows you to do things that are ultimately humane. Like banning the death penalty.

I think that, instead of executing murderers, we should send them to Guantanamo bay.

I think that, instead of executing murderers, we should send them to Guantanamo bay.

Impossible. Obama closed Guantanamo Bay. Didn't you hear his campaign speeches?

Realizing that this is a topic about the death penalty, are you saying we should kill murderers/rapists/whatever because they wouldn't be able to get a job?

It's a whole seperate ballpark, and a whole seperate debate about whether or not employers should be able to make the decision to hire someone or not based off of past criminal history, but regardless (I'm guessing here, so if anyone has any stats to back me up that'd be great!) I have a feeling that if executing someone costs more than life in prison, it'd DEFINITELY cost more than them being on welfare.

Not to execute them, no. Do you know how expensive professional therapists are? Not to mention the amount of convicts that would need them. Do you really think it's worth it to try and rehabilitate them, and if succeeded, release them only for the convict to leech off the government/tax payers money. Of course this only applies to criminals who have committed capital crimes, but that's still quite a number.

Life in prison w/o parole, w/o any sort of "rehabilitation". Let them rot in prison.

Not to execute them, no. Do you know how expensive professional therapists are? Not to mention the amount of convicts that would need them. Do you really think it's worth it to try and rehabilitate them, and if succeeded, release them only for the convict to leech off the government/tax payers money. Of course this only applies to criminals who have committed capital crimes, but that's still quite a number.

Life in prison w/o parole, w/o any sort of "rehabilitation". Let them rot in prison.

Yes. I do think it's worth it. I really, really do. Because no one deserves to be told that they will never be allowed to have a future, no matter how badly they want it.

Yes, let's give everyone who has commited a capital crime free shelter and food for the rest of their lives.

In cases where there is no doubt that the person is guilty I think death penalty should definitely be an option.

Yes, let's give everyone who has commited a capital crime free shelter and food for the rest of their lives.

In cases where there is no doubt that the person is guilty I think death penalty should definitely be an option.

I don't think you understand how unsavory being trapped in a small jail cell without control over your life actually is.

Why should we waste taxpayer money killing them when it's cheaper to shelter and feed them for the rest of their lives? No need to punish us for their misdeeds any more than you have to. :P

It shouldn't be more expensive to kill them. If it's known 100% then let's take the easy and cheap route out.

If there was an option between death penalty and life in prison with no parole whatsoever, I would much rather take the death penalty. Not to mention that the death penalty costs more in court cases/appeals/lawyers etc.

It shouldn't be more expensive to kill them. If it's known 100% then let's take the easy and cheap route out.

But it's getting to that 100% that makes it so expensive. The easy and cheap route out is locking them away.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness" <--- lolol they were jk.

I don't think it's right for people to take lives of others. Even if someone commits a murder, that's no excuse to turn around and do the same thing to them. I also don't see where anyone really gets off deciding who gets to live and who gets to die. All though it would probably be almost impossible to live your life in a normal way if you got out of prison for something like that, so the only decent way to go would be life without parole, which is way more of a punishment anyways. When you die, you're gone. When you get for to sit around in prison, you're really gonna come to regret what you did.

Edited by Lily Nicole

When you die, you're gone. When you get for to sit around in prison, you're really gonna come to regret what you did.

If you've been to prison 10 times, how many more chances do you need?

Each time you get out, you murder 10 people... Why not save 100s of people by serving you a death penalty.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness" <--- lolol they were jk.

I don't think it's right for people to take lives of others. Even if someone commits a murder, that's no excuse to turn around and do the same thing to them. I also don't see where anyone really gets off deciding who gets to live and who gets to die. All though it would probably be almost impossible to live your life in a normal way if you got out of prison for something like that, so the only decent way to go would be life without parole, which is way more of a punishment anyways. When you die, you're gone. When you get for to sit around in prison, you're really gonna come to regret what you did.

I'm sorry but from an ethical standpoint I have a very hard time justifying rights for a murderer.

While I definitely believe proving the crime is important, if someone did commit the crime, he no longer deserves the rights most other human beings have. We're talking about people who have committed murder in cold blood without any forethought for a fellow human being, and frankly there's a point where we have to no longer bother about rights for people. Senselessly taking the life of another person is a pretty good point for drawing that line.

When you die, you're gone. When you get for to sit around in prison, you're really gonna come to regret what you did.

Each time you get out, you murder 10 people... Why not save 100s of people by serving you a death penalty.

Because they only lock up serial killers for like 30 minutes tops.

I'm sorry but from an ethical standpoint I have a very hard time justifying rights for a murderer.

While I definitely believe proving the crime is important, if someone did commit the crime, he no longer deserves the rights most other human beings have. We're talking about people who have committed murder in cold blood without any forethought for a fellow human being, and frankly there's a point where we have to no longer bother about rights for people. Senselessly taking the life of another person is a pretty good point for drawing that line.

So wait let me get this straight. One person takes other people's lives. They're a serial killer.

Judges rule in favor of people's lives being taken as punishment. They're not murderers.

Murder is still murder regardless of how you justify it, their lives are still being taken from them as well. I'm not saying they're good people, I'm just saying that whoever rules to take their life away from them (and orders it in a court of law) is guilty as murder themselves.

So wait let me get this straight. One person takes other people's lives. They're a serial killer.

Judges rule in favor of people's lives being taken as punishment. They're not murderers.

Murder is still murder regardless of how you justify it, their lives are still being taken from them as well. I'm not saying they're good people, I'm just saying that whoever rules to take their life away from them (and orders it in a court of law) is guilty as murder themselves.

Except killing doesn't always mean murder.

There are already too many people on the Earth. It's a privilege to first off even live, and second live in a society as great as America's. If you abuse your privileges I believe you should either lose the first or the second.

So I say we either kill them or put them all on an island to try and survive there.

I'm completely against the death penalty. It benefits nobody.

It's already been said that it's cheaper to keep prisoners in prison than to execute them and keeping them in prison allows for their sentence to be changed should any new evidence arise. You can release an innocent prisoner but you can't bring one back from the dead.

However one of my biggest problems with the capital punishment is the suffering it puts the criminals family through. Yes, the crime probably caused great distress to the victims family and you could argue that only death be fitting for the criminal, but why put another family through the trauma of losing a life? The only justification i can reason with for why people want the death penalty is to give the victims family closure, however there are hundreds of testimonies where the victims family said the execution of those responsible does not bring closure, the pain of losing somebody never truly goes away. Why would you wish that on another family.

if you murder 10 people then you'll be locked up for quite a while, js.

So you made up a scenario out of thin air to support your claim that the death penalty saves 100s of lives? :unsure:

Proof please? 30 mins for what?

Proof please? 30 mins for what?

It was sarcasm. I believe Kwinten was suggesting that it isn't possible to go prison that often for murder, considering how long you'll be in jail, or something to that effect.