Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Merch Gwyar

Should Valentine's Day be Banned?

I can't help but think that the people who thought of this are depressed virgins who can't get laid.

Lol you can be getting laid and still hate valentine's day. It is pointless. All holidays are; they're arbitrary. Name one holiday that actually matters (not religious).

Well tbh, Easter and Christmas. They've turned into holidays where families gather and catch up, exchange gifts, and just have wonderful times together.

Yeah the original meaning has being lost, but it's transformed, being modernized into something great.

Did you just completely miss the part that said not religious, or did you only kind of miss it? cute.png not everyone celebrates those.

You could say that the un-religious Thanksgiving in America and possibly Canada (don't know much about Canadian Thanksgiving) also is a time for families to gather.

Can Valentine's Day also be thought of as homophobic? After all, the stores tend to advertise only heterosexual couples on this day.

>Advertise heterosexual couples because they are more common

>Homophobic

Yep, nothing wrong with that logic.

If people want to spend their money on useless shizzle every 14th of February because they think it'll get them laid, let 'em. I don't give a fudge and neither should you.

Edited by theking1322

I can't help but think that the people who thought of this are depressed virgins who can't get laid.

Lol you can be getting laid and still hate valentine's day. It is pointless. All holidays are; they're arbitrary. Name one holiday that actually matters (not religious).

I guess if you have something against setting aside days that give people a reason to be together and happy, then yeah, holidays are pretty damn pointless.

Should Valentines day be banned?

No, It should not be.

I don't really care either way. I personally have not commercialized my love for other people, and if other people want to do that then that's their judgment calls.

I think it's hilarious that the same people who say V-Day should be banned probably rap the likes of Rick Santorum over the head for “interfering in others' personal lives” for his desire to continue the US' ban on gay marriage.

Well tbh, Easter and Christmas. They've turned into holidays where families gather and catch up, exchange gifts, and just have wonderful times together.

Yeah the original meaning has being lost, but it's transformed, being modernized into something great.

Did you just completely miss the part that said not religious, or did you only kind of miss it? :( not everyone celebrates those.

Read the last part of my post. I don't think anyone really gives two shizzles about the original meanings anymore. Christmas is about christmas trees, turkeys, presents and families. No one talks about the birth of Christ (even though Christ wasn't even born on the 25th and doesn't exist anyway :D). The same with Easter, although that's a bit more religious than Christmas.

A lot of people aren't religious, yet still celebrate [christian] holidays. :P

Can Valentine's Day also be thought of as homophobic? After all, the stores tend to advertise only heterosexual couples on this day.

Valentines day is consumerism and with that in mind it has a target audience and a market to sell too. The reason that homosexual products don't exist is because the majority of people are hetrosexual. Its not an equality thing, or a discrimination against homosexuals. It's purely that homosexuals are a niche market to sell to and are not as profitable. The big corporate fat cats aren't worrying about what sexuality anyone is, they want to know whats making money at the end of the day.

Having said that, please don't boycott valentines day. I might become part of a florist and gift shop, making many bonuses over that week.

But by the same merit, everything in life is probably pointless. Even life itself, but we still do that. Edited by Fatalysm

Valentines day is consumerism and with that in mind it has a target audience and a market to sell too. The reason that homosexual products don't exist is because the majority of people are hetrosexual. Its not an equality thing, or a discrimination against homosexuals. It's purely that homosexuals are a niche market to sell to and are not as profitable. The big corporate fat cats aren't worrying about what sexuality anyone is, they want to know whats making money at the end of the day.

Having said that, please don't boycott valentines day. I might become part of a florist and gift shop, making many bonuses over that week.

Also because if there were gay couples shown on TV there would be an uproar and probably wouldn't even make it on air.

I guess if you have something against setting aside days that give people a reason to be together and happy, then yeah, holidays are pretty damn pointless.

No it's just dumb that people need to use holidays as excuses to get together. It's the same thing with Valentine's day. I know it's supposed to be a romantic holiday, but wouldn't most people prefer a romantic gesture towards them on a day that it wasn't quite expected? And if the people were really close they wouldn't need a day to use as an excuse to get together, they'd to it because they loved each other, not because it's christmas.

No it's just dumb that people need to use holidays as excuses to get together. It's the same thing with Valentine's day. I know it's supposed to be a romantic holiday, but wouldn't most people prefer a romantic gesture towards them on a day that it wasn't quite expected? And if the people were really close they wouldn't need a day to use as an excuse to get together, they'd to it because they loved each other, not because it's christmas.

But people do all of those things. It's more about how there's a positively different feeling in the air because everyone is experiencing it. I know I'm not being cynical enough for a college student, but I just can't find reasons to dislike holidays, least of all a minor one like Valentine's Day.

Also because if there were gay couples shown on TV there would be an uproar and probably wouldn't even make it on air.

Which says something horrific about the disgusting nature of society

I'm loving the debate back and forth. I'm still leaning towards Valentine's Day being over-commercial, but mostly it doesn't even factor on my radar. Some good points either side though.

May I also say that Valentine's Day is also known as the Feast of St. Valentine? It is celebrated with a commenoration of Mass by Catholics. Not exactly a religious day as Christmas and Easter, but rather a day of importance to a religion.

Additionally, I think of my friend's birthday on Febuary 14th. We all have different views on its importance to us.

May I also say that Valentine's Day is also known as the Feast of St. Valentine? It is celebrated with a commenoration of Mass by Catholics. Not exactly a religious day as Christmas and Easter, but rather a day of importance to a religion.

Additionally, I think of my friend's birthday on Febuary 14th. We all have different views on its importance to us.

I didn't realize Catholics still celebrated that feast.

While the Occupy movement continues to take over the world (hurrah!), one Tumblr community is looking to start discussion about a holiday.

Occupy Valentine's Day is all about taking the consumerism out of love; expanding the definition of the day to include other kinds of love (family, friends, pets); and changing the current view of romance, which is too restrictive. The only real winners on February 14th are those in the romance industry, selling their flowers, chocolates, love tokens and cards.

For the rest of humanity, the holiday can be downright depressing and is that fair?

What do you think?

Does love require trinkets of devotion to be successful? Or is it just enough for two people to get along?

Honestly, Valentines day is nice, with or without gifts. If people want to celebrate it, I don't really see a reason for people to not be allowed to (I mean, who is it harming?). If people don't, then don't. It's like any other holiday, if you agree with it, then celebrate it and enjoy it. If you don't, then don't. Either way, I think people should respect the decisions of others to celebrate it or not, and not encourage the reverse.

~John

This is the most depressing/stupid debate ever.

Allow me to break down what Valentine's Day is, for each demographic:

Girls in a Relationship: FREE ****!!!!!

Guys in a Relationship: Lose money, hopefully get laid.

Single Girls: Excuse to get drunk and lower inhibitions.

Single Guys: Get drunk and capitalize on lowered inhibitions.

And if you don't like the holiday, just ignore it if you're single. And do what you usually do. Like get drunk and capitalize on lowered inhibitions.

I didn't realize Catholics still celebrated that feast.

We don't. My parents are, in fact, pretty devout and they do not.

I've never watched the show, but isn't there a gay couple on Modern Family?

Touché, although I was more talking about TV advertisements, especially valentines day ads.

Touché, although I was more talking about TV advertisements, especially valentines day ads.

I think you may be missing the point, there isn't a huge market there. Besides the fact that valentines day adverts are pointless, it still doesn't appeal to the mass market. They all do it, nobody has a thin slice of the pie.

I think you may be missing the point, there isn't a huge market there. Besides the fact that valentines day adverts are pointless, it still doesn't appeal to the mass market. They all do it, nobody has a thin slice of the pie.

I know that, just pointing out how (like Doddsy said) disgusting our current society is.

I was buying a Valentine's Card for my girlfriend today, and in the section for girlfriends I saw a couple of lesbian Valentine's Cards, so it can't really be thought of as homophobic. :P

As a Tumblr user, I can confirm that most Tumblr users are single and reblog romantic pictures asking "WHY CAN'T THIS BE ME!?"

So I had to stop reading after I read that it was a Tumblr community.