Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Merch Gwyar

Runescape News: Teenager Found Guilty of Virtual Theft

Real World Value and RS Things  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Do you think RS items should have an intrinsic value in the read world?

• Yes - value all the things!!
    • No - don't value all the things
    • Only teal hats from that shop in Canifis, otherwise no
    • I like cabbages

A twenty year old man has been ordered to perform 144 hours of community service for virtual theft.

The charges related to an incident which occurred five years ago, when the defendant was fifteen. As he was a minor at the time, his name has not been released by the Dutch Supreme Court, in the Netherlands....

The article then goes on to highlight what virtual theft, or more to the point, real world value on Runescape items might mean for Jagex.

Full story here.

What do you make of it all?

I imagine Jagex's answer to this would be that the items are owned by them, as are all the runescape accounts. While the boy was robbed of something that was valuable to him, strictly it wasn't his.

The terms of service probably cover this in more detail. All the same, I don't think runescape items should be valued as worth anything more than sentiment.

Yes, the terms and conditions specifically say that all characters and items in-game are owned by Jagex. It says it for the very reasons outlined in the virtual theft section.

Though I'd fight to the death* for my green, pointy hat!

* As long as I respawned straight afterwards again, obviously.

I've seen this in the news few years back, wondering if this is the same person..

Incase you don"t know.. RS is a very popular game in the dutch speaking countries. :) I can vouch for that!

The charges have validity in the sense of the real world assault, threats ( & kidnapping??), but as merch pointed out nothing in game "belongs" to anyone but Jagex (whether you read the TOS or not when you joined - you are bound by them).

Waiting for the next appeal on the virtual theft charge anyway, maybe the judge will read all the relevant documents next time.

Yes, considering you're spending time and money.

Anyway, they're getting community service, it's a better deal for everyone.

Although, considering they were doing said threatening with a knife, perhaps a larger sentence.

Also, they could have sold the mask (h'ween, most likely) for rwt, thus being a real, physical crime.

Yes they do.

Spending time getting my skills up and making money but then giving it all away to someone who threatened me. Wow. I'm sad for him. :(

If the items are owned by Jagex, then technically they took the items from Jagex with threatning force and without their consent as the boy is the middle man who is holding onto the items.

Making them guilty anyway.

Although I could be wrong

The worst part is that on many job apps they ask if you have a record. Imagine now for the rest of your life having to put down I stole stuff on runescape.

Heck stealing is stealing is stealing, I agree with the verdict.

Edited by Luftey