Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Star

Not everyone wants updates.

For those who want read it on RS itself, here is the link.

http://services.runescape.com/m=forum/g=runescape/forums.ws?15,16,20,63550663,goto,1

Text in spoiler.

i Persevere:

This may seem like a stupid statement, but hear me out. Also, this is my opinion, i am in no way claiming it to be a fact.

I have played this game since 2003, i have slaved over this game, i can remember coming home through all my elementary school days and playing this game for hours on end every day, playing with friends, having the time of my life. I LOVED this game. I remember sitting beside varrock bank for hours on end, simply trying to make 25k off merchanting a black skirt (g). For all of us "older" players, im sure we remember how this game used to be.

My true question is, why is there so much new content and things being put into this game, regardless of whether or not the community wants it? Do i think Jagex is completely wrong in doing so? No. I do however, think there is an increasingly larger number of players missing the "old" runescape, that Jagex has COMPLETELY failed to realize. I mean, why is it necessary to update the look of the barrows armour, or the rock climbing boots. Personally, i HATE them. I had no issues with the old armor. I see on so many other websites of how many people hate the new updates, and miss the old armour. I do not understand why they have failed to take advantage of this growing group of people.

A prime example, is a new version of the game coming on a different site. (I not mentioning it, and am in no way promoting this game/website). Basically, its an old version of the game, meant to be placed exactly how the game was in 2006. The game is not even in its beta testing, it IS'NT even PLAYABLE. Yet, this game has OVER 60,000 accounts registered. Granted, some people would create more than 1, but still, you see how it proves there IS an interest for a simplified, older game.

My main point in question, is why are all these updates being put out? It is clear there is a very large number of players that still want the old game. They dont like the look of the new one, the "god weapons", all the new skills and quests and features being pumped into the game without testing them or asking the community beforehand. Where is our say? I AM NOT saying that the game should have no new features, and be left completely. But, i think it is worth considering that not all players want the new updates, look at the numbers of players that are "currently playing", and how it has decreased dramatically over the years. Who truly enjoys the look of the new barrows armour, for example? I personally have heard more people dislike it than people like it, by a large margin. I agree that there needs to be changes and updates made in the game, but i dont think Jagex is taking the right direction.

In closing of this huge novel i have just written, i would just like to say that this is my opinion, and I completely understand that other people have different beliefs. I just think that Jagex should take more consideration into the content they are putting into their game.

In summary; Bigger is not always Better. I think that statement hold extremely true.

Imo he speaks words My mind wants me to shout out for quite a while..

Edited by Star

They should listen to players.

I don't like the new steel... everything looks like Torva.

Ahrims and barrows looks messed up.

I really don't like the new barrows and the new updates. Old was good. :D

I don't have time right now and I will type later.

I think all graphics updates are for the better. If you honestly think differently, you only think so because you're either nostalgic about 'old' runescape, or you hate change. Sure, the colours are all similar, but it looks better. And they can't release new content with awesome graphics without paying any attention to old graphics - it'd be like playing CoD1, Cod4 and Cod7 at the same time, eventually - we'd still have lumbridge looking as it did in RSC while some of the newer quest areas would look amazing.

You see, a game must advance. More quests are needed from time to time (we get what, 10/year? Not many really). Old content needs to be brought up to date with new content.

(I haven't been able to form a well thought out post at this time of night (or morning), so I apologise. I'm going to sleep now ;-;)

I've posted my thought, or comment (rants) about it on page 3. cbf typing any more at 4 in the mronign so yeah. goodnight for now.

Jagex is looking towards the future. All their content is designed to keep the current player base happy (and I mean really, players are nice doggy!ing all the time over it, but how many have actually quit? Everyone just gets over it within a week) and to keep the game up-to-date so that when new players join, they don't see an old game with outdated graphics and activities.

The game is not even in its beta testing, it IS'NT even PLAYABLE. Yet, this game has OVER 60,000 accounts registered. Granted, some people would create more than 1, but still, you see how it proves there IS an interest for a simplified, older game.

Cool bro, it has 60k accounts. How many does the current version of RuneScape have? There is interest in playing an older version of the game, but the amount of disinterest by the rest of the community to keep doing the same activities over and over would outweigh that by far.

The game is not even in its beta testing, it IS'NT even PLAYABLE. Yet, this game has OVER 60,000 accounts registered. Granted, some people would create more than 1, but still, you see how it proves there IS an interest for a simplified, older game.

What game? I don't get it.

What game? I don't get it.

If it's an earlier version of RuneScape, it'd be breaking copyright laws as Jagex wouldn't be running it, so he's not specifying over it because he'll get muted.

Noone else has any thoughts about this topic?

I mean all what he writes is what I am thinking, I sort of thought this was ground breaking news.. That his message would start huge riots..

This is really silly. If Runescape sat idle and remained the same way it was back in 03-04, it would get old real fast. New content, updates, graphical changes, etc. keep the game fresh, and they are a part of the reason I still play.

I mean all what he writes is what I am thinking, I sort of thought this was ground breaking news.. That his message would start huge riots..

Why would it start riots? Who says a lot of people agree with it? Anyone with half a brain knows a game must advance and stay up to date. There are FEW exceptions to this, and RuneScape is certainly not one.

if RS didn't advance and constantly update it would have stopped like 5-10 years ago

and I would have stopped after a month or 2 like i do with every other "static" game

I have some thoughts. The guy there has a misguided opinion. I assume he hasnt got another account, so I love his 13m total xp and 8 years of playing and apparent 'slavery' to the game. Look at every game that doesnt get updated frequently. No one really plays it after 1 year after its been released, unless its got online multiplayer eg cod/aoe. RS does have online multiplayer but really, look at almost every place that doesnt get updated in the last 2 years, minigames for example.

Why would it start riots? Who says a lot of people agree with it? Anyone with half a brain knows a game must advance and stay up to date. There are FEW exceptions to this, and RuneScape is certainly not one.

if RS didn't advance and constantly update it would have stopped like 5-10 years ago

and I would have stopped after a month or 2 like i do with every other "static" game

I have some thoughts. The guy there has a misguided opinion. I assume he hasnt got another account, so I love his 13m total xp and 8 years of playing and apparent 'slavery' to the game. Look at every game that doesnt get updated frequently. No one really plays it after 1 year after its been released, unless its got online multiplayer eg cod/aoe. RS does have online multiplayer but really, look at almost every place that doesnt get updated in the last 2 years, minigames for example.

you all are blind. sleep.png

It is about the game being updated with useless things and unwated content/updates.

quoting myself now:

I rarely post, But this is worth posting in.

All the things you say are so true, I as personally playing since the rubber chicken feel so much pain with these updates. For better or for worse is not mine to decide, but there should be a line that is not to be crossed.

For the remarks on Tutorial Island; at first I thought it would have no impact untill I made myself an other account.

Do you guys (refering to jagex that is) know how frustrating those changes all were? First a Dragon had to be slain (which imo had no real contribution to the new players that get a wrong idea of this game), then you let us roam freely (yeah, what a great idea. That was like throwing a fish in a pool of mud.. Doomed) without "teaching them" (after all that's what you are supposed to do) how to do anything; let alone explain the skills or such? And now there is this new.. Thing.. Which has spread more hatred.

Oh and God it took me a whole year to find out how to put the help section, or what it may be called, off! Those updates, and hours slaved by Jmods, were in vain weren't they?

As secondly for the graphics;

As a game evolves (and ages) it needs make-up. But at times you make it look like a clown; as for example in the old days (aah memories) you could clearly see a difference between all the trees, which was wonderfull. Noone had problems and they were not extravagantly huge. Now they all look the same and the branches cover your whole screen which only angers the player viewing these leaves.

Then comes the armour (which was fine to begin with). Have you not noticed that the old barrow looks were rather popular? They were one of the nicest armour pieces to look at, and all had their own unique shapes.

I cannot understand why they were needed, as you (imo) ruined them completely. Even so by making them all look alike in your backpack.

*out of space -- need second post hold on!* starrphychat.png?cachebust=1328365128033

Oct 2011

04-Feb-2012 02:35:41 Last edited on 04-Feb-2012 02:51:33 by starrphy

Furthermore, you recently ruined (yet again, will talk about this later) level-up screens. As quite a few people (including me) take screenshots for their skill logs on other communities/fansites.

Sure if people like that sure, but most (and yes mostly veterans) dislikes these sort of things (a toggle option would fix that? But no). You have tried to do it in the past and if I recall correctly was reverted rather quickly due to the huuuge amount of rants.

Nother graphical point I would like to make is the changing with the icons (fullscreen) is that they do not resemble them at all! I as a fixed played am gratefull you kept your hands off it in that mode for that time being. I was hoping these kind of looks would stay out of it, but no. Once again a dissapointment for the one that liked it as it was. (refering to the new window boxes now if it is unclear)

As many have said, it does not fit runescape. The metalic colour and all of its entourage are absolutely out of this world, these are midevil-times after all no?

It sometimes breaks my heart to see those things happening while we want our game , not what we are given now.

i have so much more to say, but all by all not ALL was bad, else I wouldn't still be playing, but i crave for less of these..

in short: why fix when it's not broken.

Edited by Star

.....?

A game has to be updated to stay alive; these (pointless/ unmeaning-full) updates do actually count to keep the game "fresh", if you really are worried that this isn't the same as it was in 2006, it's probably because it isn't; if it was - as stated many times above Runescape would really be dead.

Tl:dr if you really want to stand there for hours looking at Dharoks go play RS 2006

Egghebrecht has expressed my views clearly, at this point ;-;

For fudges sake..

Benno, you only read the titel didn't you?

egg and hunt; i completely stand behind him about this.

Did the game atmosphere and the way of scaping not change? And not in the good way..

The game needs updates yes, but not the ones we are getting. sleep.png I.. Seriously feel like talking to a wall with a me gusta face painted on it since none understand it. He wants decent, wanted updates! Not stupid ones that make everyone rant.

In the past when an update came they all were like oh yeaah! now more and more I think 'oh god what did they fudge up now'.

example:

Trollwarzone.. Level up screens.. Barrows 'rework' (looks like shizzle).. Game icons changed to something that does not resemble them.. It is this that makes updates unwanted.

Edited by Star

The game needs updates yes, but not the ones we are getting. sleep.png I.. Seriously feel like talking to a wall with a me gusta face painted on it since none understand it. He wants decent, wanted updates! Not stupid ones that make everyone "me and 3 others" rant.

fixed

Edited by Egghebrecht

What are you talking about I like the new Barrows armour look, Trollwarzone and the skill icons and heck judging by this topic it seems I'm not the only one so how can you say 'everybody' hates the new updates? The people ranting are the same people that rant about every single update.

Benno, you only read the titel didn't you?

I read both of your quotes and everyone's opinion and made a decision???

I didn't read all the replies - just the post itself, so I'm posting this in no relation to what anyone else has posted in the topic.

The OP is hung up on nostalgia and personal preference, with no view of the bigger picture.

He talks of spending hours merchanting a skirt for 25k. How many of us have heard the traditional, "in my day...." talk from parents, grandparents etc?

How many of us go, gosh, let's go back to those times.

It's progression, whether you want it or not is irrelevant - because it is better. No, the barrows graphics for example didn't necessarily need updating for the sake of updating them; but there's a huge market for games and it's important to keep relevant and up to date in terms of things like graphics, which are such a huge deal these days. I mean, just take a look at how films, TVs, Games etc are marketed - HD, 3D etc etc.

And as for the rest, claiming there's updates "when a large amount of players don't want them" - is a non point. It's a stab in the dark backed up by nothing - "a large amount" could be 10, 20, 250 players. OP has no idea - he's speaking on behalf of himself and he knows it.

If RS stayed exactly how it was in 06, then why would anyone want to play members for crap graphics for about £35 a year, when they could buy Battlefield 3 for £40 which has amazing graphics.

Wanting Rs to be graphically old and crap is like saying I want to play Battlefield 3, but with graphics like battlefield 1942.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/23/manv.gif/

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/man2e.jpg/

Seriously if you saw these two as a 11 year old in 2012 you would say the rs model for a man looked crap and old, and the Battlefield model was better. Therefore meaning more people would choose to play other games than RS as they looked better at first glance. First impressions, are a lasting one.

I have friends, who when I mention RS, think it's crap because thats what they saw of RS 6 years ago, and even then it was outdated already graphics wise, as Xbox and ps3 got released.

In order for RS to survive, as the older players leave for whatever reason they need to be replaced, so Jagex can continue to recieve enough money to keep the game running. By keeping the game 'new' looking to attract younger people. Because I can almost guarantee most people started play RS in their teens or earlier.

However Jagex if they wanted to, they could release a 2006 version of the game at an extra cost for those who want to play it. But they won't do this as they ill make a loss just to keep something like 10,000 people happy. Which is not worth it when you can spend money on attracting younger people who you can milk money from, for years to come.

Edited by KSC

So basically you want the game to not advance at all and slowly become a static and boring game that nobody plays at all.

Because that makes sense.