Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Clavius

Marijuana and Alcohol

The more I look into both of these drugs (yes I said drugs) they seem very similar in effects of usage and damage to your body.

Here are two sites that describe the effects of alcohol and marijuana (I know wikipedia and webmd might not be the best sources but from what I have read everything is rather sound)

http://www.webmd.com...and-its-effects

http://en.wikipedia....ects_of_alcohol

The thing that does not really make sense in my opinion is why alcohol is legal and marijuana is illegal after reading both of these. I'm pretty sure any logical human outside of the US or countries with mirrored drug laws would say that alcohol and marijuana are both drugs, but in the US and related countries alcohol is a drink at parties while marijuana is a terrible drug. Obviously our cultures are to blame for this, as it encourages some drug use while strictly prohibiting other drugs.

If you pay attention to the short term effects of both, alcohol seems to be generally worse than marijuana. Marijuana's actually bad short time effects are only psychological, while alcohol has physical and psychological effects which are negative to your health. Judging from both of these substances' short term effects, I would say they are equal if not alcohol being overall slightly worse (I'm assuming that you are going to get drunk off of alcohol or high off of marijuana).

The reason why I am comparing marijuana to alcohol in a pro-marijuana argument is that it is the only way that this argument makes sense. Today we have a drug called alcohol which has been made illegal but legal again due to lots of problems, and a drug called marijuana that is still illegal even though there are lots of problems regarding its legality. Logically you would have to agree with me and say that both drugs while illegal will cause problems from this, and if you read any of the articles/what I said you would have to agree that marijuana and alcohol while different are pretty much the same in sum of effects.

With this, I'll get to my main point. I rationalize that while alcohol is legal marijuana should be legal and the opposite.

Most arguments against marijuana point towards either dumb reasons with alcohol being legal or reasons that only apply when marijuana is illegal.

The common argument is marijuana is a stepping stone drug. I believe the only reason why stepping stone drug is that it is illegal and it leads you to taking more illegal drugs. If marijuana is legalized, in order for it to be a stepping stone drug you would have to go from legal to illegal drugs, which would be a barrier for many people.

Another argument is that marijuana if legalized will cause accidents and be in the reach of children. Alcohol already causes both of these things, so I do not understand why if marijuana is legalized things will be any different. Marijuana sadly is again looked at a cultural taboo, and its usage seems to be very bad as a result of this even though it is very similar to alcohol.

A third argument is that legalization will lead to legalization of harder drugs. If you look at the effects of hard drugs in comparison to marijuana and alcohol, you would realize that they are never going to be legal. Hard drugs are very bad overall and I would never support usage of them. Legalization of hard drugs I look at it is the same as legalization of illegal usage of pharmaceutical drugs, both are very bad for your health and would never be rationalized.

The last common argument is that secondhand smoke will annoy bystanders and cause secondhand smoke issues. This is in my opinion the only rational argument, and can be solved by applying similar but more strict laws that are already in place with smoking. You cannot smoke inside public establishments, you have to smoke in designated areas, and so on. Anyways there aren't many people who will smoke marijuana in public like cigarettes are smoked in public, people are just making poor comparisons between these two things.

So I believe that marijuana should be legalized with all of this information. It would be legalized nationally in the US, as state legalization does not make much sense on the issue as this would still cause smuggling problems.

Marijuana being legalized would nearly eliminate drug trade other than hard drugs, and would cause many people to view drugs in a sounder image. Hard drugs would be taken less as a result of marijuana being legalized, as now legal marijuana users will most likely opt for a legal drug instead of an illegal drug. Arresting of people trafficking marijuana would no longer be done, and police would only now have to worry about illegal drugs which lets them be more freed up.

Marijuana's legalization would also let government regulate drugs and give taxes for the selling of marijuana, and in our current situation these taxes would be very helpful.

also if you "cool story bro" or "tl;dr" I'll kill you

Edited by Breeze

(I read your entire post)

I agree with this 100%

It never made sense to me why the gov't picks and chooses what should be legal and what shouldn't be. If you will legalize one thing, legalize the others, and vice versa.

(Yes, I'm 13. Weed is considered "adult", but whatever, this is just my opinion)

I don't personally drink or smoke weed, but I really don't care whether anyone else does. I think the Gov't should take a similar stance, and let people do whatever the hell they want to their own bodies.

Still make DUI very punishable, but let people do what they want to themselves in their own homes.

Not that it matters whether it's legal or not, which is a valid point. Don't deal, you'll be fine.

I don't personally drink or smoke weed, but I really don't care whether anyone else does. I think the Gov't should take a similar stance, and let people do whatever the hell they want to their own bodies.

Still make DUI very punishable, but let people do what they want to themselves in their own homes.

Not that it matters whether it's legal or not, which is a valid point. Don't deal, you'll be fine.

The point of society is to live together and make sure that its members are faring well, its rather narcissistic to say that you don't care about other people's problems when you are a part of a society. Societies cannot function without sound laws that protect its members from personal harm and harm to others, as the point of society is to live together in the best way possible. With this being said, I believe that there should be regulations on drugs for the good of society. We should care about what all of its members are doing, as our members make up the entirety of it.

These regulations should however be sound, and I feel that the most sound thing is to allow only alcohol and marijuana for recreational drug use. not allowing anything at all is not a good thing to do, the reason why I say this is that some people will use drugs so we should provide a legal way to do this, and that prohibition never works out well.

Edited by Breeze

The more I look into both of these drugs (yes I said drugs) they seem very similar in effects of usage and damage to your body.

Except not.

Alcohol is dead calories and are hard to get rid of, it kills your liver, and can directly kill you.

Marijuana creates cells that kill cancer cells, doesn't give you cancer, helps relieve pain and stress, and according to recent studies, people who smoke marijuana are less likely to be obese or overweight. Marijuana will not kill you. (There has been one recorded death, but the man swallowed 2 pounds or so, and swallowing marijuana isn't very smart or safe in itself either).

They really aren't the same at all, coming from a guy who's done both smoking and drinking a lot.

Legalizing marijuana would be beneficial to the government because they could tax it, use less money from the police force on enforcing the illegality of it, etc.

And say if parents were to smoke marijuana instead of drink, it could potentially lead to a lot less abuse and alcoholism problems at home.

And to the reach in children, I think the government would obviously make it 18+.

Anyways, all that to say, I agree.

Marijuana will not kill you. (There has been one recorded death, but the man swallowed 2 pounds or so, and swallowing marijuana isn't very smart or safe in itself either).

So Marijuana will kill you???

Marijuana will not kill you. (There has been one recorded death, but the man swallowed 2 pounds or so, and swallowing marijuana isn't very smart or safe in itself either).

only if youre an idiot

or if you OD on it which takes like 6000 joints in 10 minutes or something

edit: spelling

Edited by Kyo

The point of society is to live together and make sure that its members are faring well, its rather narcissistic to say that you don't care about other people's problems when you are a part of a society. Societies cannot function without sound laws that protect its members from personal harm and harm to others, as the point of society is to live together in the best way possible. With this being said, I believe that there should be regulations on drugs for the good of society. We should care about what all of its members are doing, as our members make up the entirety of it.

These regulations should however be sound, and I feel that the most sound thing is to allow only alcohol and marijuana for recreational drug use. not allowing anything at all is not a good thing to do, the reason why I say this is that some people will use drugs so we should provide a legal way to do this, and that prohibition never works out well.

YOU can do what YOU want, let ME do what I want, and let OTHERS do what THEY want.

I do care about other peoples well being, I just think their opinion of their well being matters a hell of a lot more than mine. If they want to do something to their body, they should be totally allowed to. It is there body, after all.

You have to be an idiot to eat pounds of marijuana, and let's be honest, most people can't even willingly do that because a pound is a lot of money. Either way, natural selection.

YOU can do what YOU want, let ME do what I want, and let OTHERS do what THEY want.

I do care about other peoples well being, I just think their opinion of their well being matters a hell of a lot more than mine. If they want to do something to their body, they should be totally allowed to. It is there body, after all.

you just completely ignored everything I said and restated your opinion. the fact is that our societies reflect the members of our societies, if there are no regulations whatsoever you would have to admit our society would be a lot more messed up in comparison to today's society. some things are simply good to have overall, some things are bad.

Edited by Breeze

you just completely ignored everything I said and restated your opinion. the fact is that our societies reflect the members of our societies, if there are no regulations whatsoever you would have to admit our society would be a lot more messed up in comparison to today's society. some things are simply good to have overall, some things are bad.

I just don't see why there should be regulations on what someone can do to themselves. Of course there should be regulations on what someone can do (or potentially do, in a dangerous situation) to others, but why the hell can't I smoke weed if I want to, or drink if I want to, when it's really only "hurting" myself. (Although a million die hard stoners will argue to the grave that it doesn't hurt at all. That's not relevant to my point.)

ALSO, Society will continue to go on if I kill myself drinking, I promise.

Edited by Eye

I just don't see why there should be regulations on what someone can do to themselves. Of course there should be regulations on what someone can do (or potentially do, in a dangerous situation) to others, but why the hell can't I smoke weed if I want to, or drink if I want to, when it's really only "hurting" myself. (Although a million die hard stoners will argue to the grave that it doesn't hurt at all. That's not relevant to my point.)

there should be regulations simply because it is a barrier between people creating bad lives and good lives. In a world without regulations, morals become transparent and your life will be effected directly. Creating no restrictions on what you can do to yourself in one area will lead people to question why some laws aren't so liberal in another area, which leads to these things that will affect your life. The closest thing I can say is that a somewhat level slippery slope will result from this, but not really a true slope as it will level out at some point but the result will not be good.

Except not.

Alcohol is dead calories and are hard to get rid of, it kills your liver, and can directly kill you.

Marijuana creates cells that kill cancer cells, doesn't give you cancer, helps relieve pain and stress, and according to recent studies, people who smoke marijuana are less likely to be obese or overweight. Marijuana will not kill you. (There has been one recorded death, but the man swallowed 2 pounds or so, and swallowing marijuana isn't very smart or safe in itself either).

They really aren't the same at all, coming from a guy who's done both smoking and drinking a lot.

Legalizing marijuana would be beneficial to the government because they could tax it, use less money from the police force on enforcing the illegality of it, etc.

And say if parents were to smoke marijuana instead of drink, it could potentially lead to a lot less abuse and alcoholism problems at home.

And to the reach in children, I think the government would obviously make it 18+.

Anyways, all that to say, I agree.

I realize alcohol is worse than marijuana as a whole, I just didn't want to come off as some kind of crazy supporter of legalizing marijuana by saying everything that is good about marijuana and bad about alcohol.

there should be regulations simply because it is a barrier between people creating bad lives and good lives. In a world without regulations, morals become transparent and your life will be effected directly. Creating no restrictions on what you can do to yourself in one area will lead people to question why some laws aren't so liberal in another area, which leads to these things that will affect your life. The closest thing I can say is that a somewhat level slippery slope will result from this, but not really a true slope as it will level out at some point but the result will not be good.

Can you provide some examples of limitations you would put on what individuals can do to themselves (NOT others) that will positively affect society as a whole?

Alcohol is engrained in society. Weed is not. Therefore it has no place, will never be legalised.

Simply as, besides, has any government ever admitted a mistake such as changing a strict policy on drug control? Never.

As soon as the current generation overtakes the baby boomers, weed'll get legalized. It's only a matter of time.

The argument that marijuana is less harmful than tobacco/alcohol is irrelevant. While it may be less harmful, it still does have health effects which cannot be denied. If marijuana were legalized, it would just be another one of those harmful yet tolerated substances out there. Taking away harmful things like cigarettes and/or alcohol will fail.

People will smoke weed whether it's legal or not. If they get caught, oh well. It's not like it's impossible to hide. You wanna do that stuff, take the risk and be responsible when you're on it. I don't see why it should be legalized, but if it is, whatever. I haven't done it in 2 years and it's not a big part of my life.

Can you provide some examples of limitations you would put on what individuals can do to themselves (NOT others) that will positively affect society as a whole?

Its possible to provide 1000 examples that stem from limiting individuals, the main point around most of these examples is that our actions affect others and how they live. Something that someone does which is morally wrong will influence others to do these wrong things which negatively effect society as morally wrong things usually hinder a society as a whole.

In our current time hard drugs are usually inaccessible to the majority of people unless they look for them, if they are made legal they will be in plain sight in certain places; hard drug users will definitely increase as the people who have been accessing these drugs illegally will still use them legally now and there will be people who will do hard drugs because they are now accessible and legal. As increased hard drug usage will obviously have a detrimental effect on society, society will be harmed with an increase in users.

The argument that marijuana is less harmful than tobacco/alcohol is irrelevant. While it may be less harmful, it still does have health effects which cannot be denied. If marijuana were legalized, it would just be another one of those harmful yet tolerated substances out there. Taking away harmful things like cigarettes and/or alcohol will fail.

People will smoke weed whether it's legal or not. If they get caught, oh well. It's not like it's impossible to hide. You wanna do that stuff, take the risk and be responsible when you're on it. I don't see why it should be legalized, but if it is, whatever. I haven't done it in 2 years and it's not a big part of my life.

I'm not saying marijuana should be made legal because alcohol is legal, Im saying they should both be either legal or illegal. Like I said I'm not saying marijuana is okay to take but alcohol is not okay either. I don't drink alcohol or do marijuana, it only makes logical sense that two drugs of the same nature should be treated the same. In an ideal world I would favor prohibition of alcohol and marijuana, but this will cause much more problems as the prohibition era shows (alcohol will be smuggled/sold illegally along with marijuana as it is today, more illegal activity).

Edited by Breeze

As increased hard drug usage will obviously have a detrimental effect on society

Would you care to expand on that? I've been toying around with that thought, and the only drugs detrimental to society I could think of were those know to induce psychosis or agitated states (methamphetamine, PCP, cocaine.) I couldn't come up with how, say Suboxone or oxycodone, would lead to any large scale issues.

What I mean is that it will in some way affect society not directly others (although it will probably affect others with things you said). Unemployment rates will rise, revenue by companies will lower as a result of thi . Someone might say this will be miniscule but it is still a negative and you can't assume it will be miniscule anyways; if the negatives outweigh the positives it is logical to go with status quo/inertia which in this case would be keeping drugs like these illegal.

I can't think of any true benefits to these drugs right now except taxation, which would most likely not be enough to re-compensate for people who are doing nothing as a result of being addicted to drugs.

Edited by Breeze

Alcohol's been around for thousands of years and is a part of society, The American Government illegalised it once and that didn't work out well :P It's a similar case with smoking cigarettes, they do more damage to the person than marajuana does, but they've been part of society for too long, even just banning smoking indoors was trouble.

tl;dr Marajuana has never been a major part of society and a ban is relatively easy to uphold.

Alcohol's been around for thousands of years and is a part of society, The American Government illegalised it once and that didn't work out well tongue.png It's a similar case with smoking cigarettes, they do more damage to the person than marajuana does, but they've been part of society for too long, even just banning smoking indoors was trouble.

tl;dr Marajuana has never been a major part of society and a ban is relatively easy to uphold.

that's just arguing for tradition or the authority of tradition, which will never work. tradition can anything from saying hello to a neighbor every morning to killing the first born of every family as a sacrifice, you can't logically say that tradition in all of its cases is correct.

It is easy to uphold because of our representatives/leaders in modern governments who want everything to stay the same and throw all of our problems in the closet.

Edited by Breeze

“If people let government decide what foods they eat and what medicines they take, their bodies will soon be in as sorry a state as are the souls of those who live under tyranny.” -Thomas Jefferson

"If we legalize heroin tomorrow, is everyone is going use heroin? How many people here would use heroin if it were legal?" -Ron Paul

"On the issue of drugs, we have spent nearly five hundred billion dollars on the War on Drugs, since the 1970s. Total failure. Some day, we have to admit it." -Ron Paul

Sums up my thoughts.

Alcohol's been around for thousands of years and is a part of society, The American Government illegalised it once and that didn't work out well tongue.png It's a similar case with smoking cigarettes, they do more damage to the person than marajuana does, but they've been part of society for too long, even just banning smoking indoors was trouble.

Marijuana has been around for thousands of years and is a part of society. The American Government illegalised it once and it hasn't worked out well.

tl;dr Marijuana has been a major part of american society for at least half a century, with over 40% of Americans admitting to having used it at least once. The federal ban on it has proven to be incredibly hard to uphold, with billions upon billions of dollars spent, thousands of lives lost, and nothing but fuller prisons and increased usage rates to show for it.

Marijuana is NOT addictive, so as said in the two sources you posted.

Coming from personal experiences, I will tell you MY story. Please, actually read it. Sex, Drugs, Death, and bad choices.

When I was in 4th grade, I took the DARE program. "JUST SAY NO" was embedded into my mind. Drugs like Marijuana could kill me, or so I thought. I started smoking pot in 8th grade to relieve depression. "What depression, you were 15 then!" you may say. I had parental issues and low self esteem because of my lack of friends. Anyways, this is how I found a group for myself. Everyone liked me because I had the product, and knew where to get it. I started dealing mid way through my 8th grade year, and became quite popular with people. I was loving it. Pot was a relief, an escape that nothing else could ever give me. I made friends, went to parties, and was having fun for the first time in my life. It was at the end of the school year where I slipped up. I made an appointment to deal at school, which I rarely did. (But then again, the school was so low maintenance, I remembered carrying a joint in my hand in the hallway when leaving one day.) We were all set, I had the stuff, and he had the money. The exchange happened like usual, but there was a witness. He went out of his way, and went to the school officer and reported what he had seen. Soon, I was carted down to the office, and interrogated like I had killed someone. I asked for a lawyer if I were to be questioned, but because I was a minor, I was not permitted civil rights. (How flawed our system has become) Soon after, he stripped me of all my Rights, and made me confess to everything. I was expelled from middle school, and had to endure the wrath of my family. I was soon kicked out of the house. I went to stay at my old dealers house. I payed rent through dealing for him. This is where my life turned for the worse. I made all the bad decisions. While dealing for him, I was waiting at a park for the people to come pick up from me. By the time their car pulled up, they were 15 minutes late, and I was annoyed. There were two of them, one in a very heavy jacket, and the other in a basketball jersey. They approached me, and I walked forward. I had done this many times before, but I felt weird about this one. When dealing, there are untold rules. Money first, then product. Everyone follows this small, unheard code. But these two thought it be best for the product to come before the money. I disagreed, but in my determination to argue, I found a cold, metal object to my face. The one in the jacket, who had remained quite the whole time, had pulled a gun on me. I never felt so scared in my life, not even when I saw my dad enter the school when I got caught. He laughed and tormented me, clicking the safety, while the other grabbed my bag and took all my stuff. When they had what they wanted, they started to walk away, still with the gun pointed at me. When I got back to my dealer, he was furious. He made a phone call in which he spoke mad Russian. I am pretty sure he was ordering a killing. Three days later, I was still not to my normal self. It was a Friday now, we would always go to parties. He promised me that this one would be one I would remember; promised me it would cheer me up. When we got there, the music was blaring, and I smoked and drank till I felt better; back into a better mood. Then, awhile later, everyone started to get around the table. I joined in, wondering what was happening. Someone came over with a brown bag and spilled the contents; Syringes. My dealer positioned himself next to me and said "It'll be fun. A good load off your back." Another man brought a tinted bottle. I realized that it was heroine. I didn't know what to do, but with a squeeze on the arm from my dealer, I fell into suit. We all tied our arms, filled up the syringes, and injected. It hit me with the impact of a train; Pure pleasure. Nothing can describe the feeling. My body just rung out with the feeling of happiness. Better then sex, and everything else. But then, what might have been 2 minutes or 2 hours, my chest started to hurt. I don't remember how, but I ended up on the floor. I was cold, I was dissolving away, and the only feeling that existed was the pain in my chest, and the purest of pleasures seeping around me; It was a pleasurable death. I passed out, embracing death as I did. I woke up to find myself in a hospital bed. I was numb, I felt terrible. Worse then the worst hangover. I took a look around me, noticing a large amount of bandages on my wrist where the syringe went in. Apparently, Someone ripped it out off my arm. Another look found my brother, who was sitting in a chair, and my mother next to him. I went back under. Those weeks went by quick. My parents paid for rehabilitation, and a therapist. The days turned to months, and it was finally school time. I had to take online course because the expulsion from the middle school carried on to the first semester of high school. (I would get back in January) Skip ahead to January. I get into school finally, and tried to stay away from drugs. But it follows you everywhere, like a mosquito. I end up back with the group. We started doing Acid. My 4th or 5th time doing it, it lasted two days. My parents had taken me to the hospital, and I came back with feeding tubes in my arms. They thought I hit my head and fell into a deep sleep, never suspected acid. It was around a month time at school where it happened again. I set up a deal at the school. Acid this time. Everything went good, but halfway through the day, the girl I sold it to started bragging about it to kids all around the school. I got a tip off that the security guard would be coming for me so, I excused myself from class, ran to a bathroom, smashed my phone, and flushed the supplies. When I was walking back to class, the security guard was waiting for me. He escorted me to the office where I was searched. They found a piece of plastic, and sold it as a look alike substance. I got expelled again and sent to a Juvenal school for troubled youth. This was a school filled with people with paranoia, learning disabilities, drug problems, or sex addicts. I became close friends with a girl who I later discovered was a sex addict. I stayed the night at her house, and the next thing I knew, I had contracted gonorrhea. Had it treated with antibiotics, but scared the living shizzle out of me. Finally, summer came and with it came parties. The first two weeks of partying, I had a lot of drunken sex. Soon, I had contracted Syphilis too. More antibiotics, more worry. I needed an escape from this. It was around July that I had started to deal again with the old dealer. He was the one who called 911 when I didn't respond after being injected with heroine. Saved my life, if only he wasn't the one to threaten it in the first place. We were driving around with one of my friends to go drop off some pot when we got pulled over. He was so scared, his voice kept cracking, and soon, on reasonable suspicion, the police searched his car, finding paraphernalia, and product. Me and my friend lied and said we had no idea about the drugs. The cop drove us to my friends house where we got high to calm down. Many more nights of partying and finally it was school. I was starting back up again. Smoking and drinking. I started to write music. Christmas time, everything seemed normal. I was close with my family again (sorta), and I was smoking with my old friends. But around February, I got a phone call. I dropped my phone in shock. One of my old friends, one who stood up for me when people passed hurtful rumors, one who hooked me up with a good girlfriend, and helped me through a rough time in my life; she had overdosed on heroine and died. She was one of the nicest, sweetest girls anyone could know. She was only 15. We would tell each other "Live fast, die young", but she died way to young. This is where I stopped all usage. It was a rude awakening. It could have been me who died. It could have been me.

Well, since then, I have on and off smoked pot. Not as much as before, once every other month. I have stopped going to as many parties, and stopped having as much sex. I am known as a druggy, and a whore at my school. It is very hard for me to make friends without being judged for my past actions. People know my name before they even talk to me because of all the rumors. If not for the illegal status of pot, much of this might not have happened. Or maybe it was just my stupid choices. Right now, 80% of all arrests are those relating to marijuana. Marijuana has never taken the life of anyone. Alcohol has. Why is it illegal? A campaign made by a politician to keep the lumber industries afloat caused fake propaganda against hemp resulting in illegalization. The class 1 classification was put into effect on Reagan's war against drugs. Just something to think about. I share this as maybe a warning. Pot is okay. The only reason why it is bad is it's class 1 classification. If it was legal, much of this may have been avoided. Alcohol disrupted my thinking choices, resulting in STD's. Heroine almost killed me, and took the life of one of my friends. Pot just calmed me down, and relieved my depression. Marijuana > Alcohol

Edited by OfMoonsBirdsMonsters