Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
thepope1322

Pvt Bradley Manning Nominated for Nobel Peace Prize

http://www.globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=29077

On one hand, he's a little dipshizzle who committed treason and deserves a bullet for it. On the other, however, it would be hilarious to have a Nobel Peace Prize winner who is being imprisoned by another Nobel Peace Prize winner.

Edited by theking1322

He's risked his life to expose horrfic war crimes, and he deserves a bullet? Wut?

The persons responsible for ordering the various crimes deserve the bullet.

He's risked his life to expose horrfic war crimes, and he deserves a bullet? Wut?

The persons responsible for ordering the various crimes deserve the bullet.

He never intended to expose any war crimes, he just had a hissy fit and decided to stick it to the Army by releasing all kids of classified information. He put our own people in danger. Edited by theking1322

Meh, either way i think he did the right thing. Whether he had the right intentions is a different matter.

Yes, you right. American lives are worth 100 times more then some towel heads in a desert. [/sarcasm]

He doesn't deserve this at all, I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that he said he did this partially because he was bored. Its nice that the documents showed true conditions overseas and such, I don't get why they are attributing to the documents as the reason why the troops are coming out of Iraq. That is just some campaign promise being fulfilled by Obama to make him look good for the upcoming election, there's no motivators behind it.

What he did was treasonous and he knows this, this is basically a case of "the end doesn't justify the means". He is supposed to act honorable as a soldier of the US and be trusted with information and he went against this.

Edited by Breeze

Meh, either way i think he did the right thing. Whether he had the right intentions is a different matter.

Yes, you right. American lives are worth 100 times more then some towel heads in a desert. [/sarcasm]

Revealing classified documents and committing treason doesn't bring back the dead Afghans and Iraqis.

Revealing classified documents and committing treason doesn't bring back the dead Afghans and Iraqis.

YES IT DOES BECAUSE I SAID IT DOES SO HA

What I don't get is how someone leaking the names of sensitive people is worth of nominating for a ‘Peace’ prize.

If you are risking the lives of innocent civilians doesn't that kind of exclude your work from being peaceful? I mean, you know.

So let me see if I got this right - the guy that leaked classified documents aka committed treason and put lives in danger has been nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize?

wat

Why don't we go ahead and give the wiki-leaks founder a nobel peace prize. To be honest, I don't think i've ever looked at anyone on that list and given them any extra merit.

If you couldn't already tell, I was being sarcastic. He shouldn't get a nobel peace prize. But in all honesty, I do think the prize is rather stupid anyway.

Edited by Fatalysm

Why don't we go ahead and give the wiki-leaks founder a nobel peace prize. To be honest, I don't think i've ever looked at anyone on that list and given them any extra merit.

If you couldn't already tell, I was being sarcastic. He shouldn't get a nobel peace prize. But in all honesty, I do think the prize is rather stupid anyway.

I agree, the Peace Prize has been a farce for a pretty long time.

Save Jews from the Nazis? No, Al Gore is more deserving olololol.

The IPCC and Al Gore would have deserved the prize if there had actually been any noticeable action taken to combat climate change as a result of their actions. tongue.png If it's going to be something like promoting peace by furthering public awareness of climate change, scientists in general have been pretty bad about doing that, and I wouldn't call the IPCC great at it. I guess there is the point that Gore made a documentary and presentation that reached a lot of people, but I just didn't see results from it, no matter how commendable the effort was.

So, the IPCC has done a good job summarizing a large body of scientific work and Al Gore made a fairly accurate documentary, but the Nobel Peace Prize doesn't seem to be the right fit. I would be fine with some sort of other award for the IPCC that actually was relevent, but I don't understand why they got the Peace Prize.

EDIT: As for Bradley Manning, it seems like a lot of good has come from his actions, and a lot of bad has too. I don't know how to weigh the two, but I feel like if innocent people are being directly threatened by what you've done, it would take some *very* commendable actions to make you deserving of the Peace Prize.

Edited by heb0

Firstly, no one has ever pointed to a life that had been put in danger, or lost because of the releases. People often mention how it exposes military tactics, but I feel that falls by the by.

He exposed, whether intentionally or not, the horrific war crimes the US had committed, and had covered up and lied about. It exposed and changed public opinion of the war, showing that it was not some moral crusade against Terrorism but had instead desended to the point where the US themselves were easily labelled terrorists (using terror to push or force political objectives).

I don't actually care for the Nobel Peace Prize, it is usually a sort of political point or a fall to popular opinion. However, this would probably make more people aware to the case.

(Even if you think he committed treason then you must disagree with his near indefinite detention in solitary confinement in embarrassing and degrading conditions. What is the point of a legal system when the government can decide just to hold someone without trial)

I by no means approve the 'war crimes' the US committed that you mention in your post but he did place his fellow soldiers' lives at risk.

And it's not like he leaked the documents because he felt it was the right thing to do, his goal was to harm the United States.

(Even if you think he committed treason then you must disagree with his near indefinite detention in solitary confinement in embarrassing and degrading conditions. What is the point of a legal system when the government can decide just to hold someone without trial)

I don't know much about the United States' laws regarding treason, but in Portugal at least I'm pretty sure high treason is punished by death. Personally I'm not a supporter of the death penalty, just saying he's probably lucky to be still alive.

History will judge Bradley Manning to be a hero IMHO. What he did was so ridiculously brave that I know I'd hesitate before doing it. He saw injustice, slaughter, cruelty and cover-ups. He exposed them and, in the eyes of the whole world, those hidden things had to be addressed.

The fact that he has been kept in solitary confinement without a trial (or, more recently, the promise kangaroo court of a military review) is more testimony of all he tried to reveal. What is being done to him is without irony a massive stain on his country's conscience. I hope that he gets the prize. I'm proud of the Welsh half of his nationality.

History will judge Bradley Manning to be a hero IMHO.

Of course they will, just like they said that FDR was a hero even though he pretty much flipped off the Japanese and then acted shocked when they bombed Pearl Harbor, and they judged Abraham Lincoln to be a hero when he screwed over everyone and signed the Emancipation Proclamation which wasn't even a legally binding document, or how everyone thinks Nixon was the worst President the 20th century purely on Watergate, or how people think that Johnson was a hero for passing the Civil Rights Act (he only did it because of Kennedy).

How history judges someone's actions are often very, very deceiving.

Five and a half hours ago, reading this thread prompted me to write my own article about it. I've just this second finished. It sets out precisely why I said what I said above (and thank you SatansFate for 'liking' it. I didn't even know Sal's forum had that now!).

History will judge Bradley Manning to be a hero IMHO.

Of course they will, just like they said that FDR was a hero even though he pretty much flipped off the Japanese and then acted shocked when they bombed Pearl Harbor, and they judged Abraham Lincoln to be a hero when he screwed over everyone and signed the Emancipation Proclamation which wasn't even a legally binding document, or how everyone thinks Nixon was the worst President the 20th century purely on Watergate, or how people think that Johnson was a hero for passing the Civil Rights Act (he only did it because of Kennedy).

How history judges someone's actions are often very, very deceiving.

I know precisely how history judges people. I'm an historian and I've written the books. But the objectivity of time also takes away the need for cover-ups and revenge. That's the job of the media today instead.

Guys you know that the nomination process is pretty much a mail in thing. Stalin and Mao have both been nominated so don't really put much thought into it.

Although if he won then a Peace Prize winner would be improsoned under the watch of another Peace Prize :suncloud:

Although if he won then a Peace Prize winner would be improsoned under the watch of another Peace Prize suncloud.gif

oh damn I hadn't even thought of that yet XD

pretty sure the nobel peace prize was established by the guy who invented dynamite, he was just sad that dynamite could kill people or something I believe

I don't know much about the United States' laws regarding treason, but in Portugal at least I'm pretty sure high treason is punished by death. Personally I'm not a supporter of the death penalty, just saying he's probably lucky to be still alive.

The difference is that Manning committed treason as a member of the US Armed Forces. He's being court-martialled, not tried by a jury of peers.