Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
O hai im KAMIL

Prostitution

VOTE NARBS  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Should prostitution be legal or illegal?

This topic is in regards to prostitution, and whether it should be legal/illegal.

Also, feel free to talk about the morality of the act if you like smile.png

Oh and FLAME ON.

Edited by O hai im KAMIL

There's a yes and a no to everything...

it would reduce crime, improve public health, increase tax revenue, help people out of poverty, get prostitutes off the streets, and allow consenting adults to make their own choices. They contend that prostitution is a victimless crime

but

Prostitution would lead to increases in sexually transmitted diseases such as AIDS, global human trafficking, and violent crime including rape and homicide. They contend that prostitution is inherently immoral, commercially exploitative, empowers the criminal underworld, and promotes the repression of women by men.

Cons outweigh the Pro's.

ILLEGAL.

Properly regulation would remove many of the risks and problems, in which case it should be legal. While you may not want to be a prostitute doesn't mean they shouldn't be able to.

Prostitution would lead to increases in sexually transmitted diseases such as AIDS, global human trafficking, and violent crime including rape and homicide. They contend that prostitution is inherently immoral, commercially exploitative, empowers the criminal underworld, and promotes the repression of women by men.

Regulation and legislation gets rid of these problems.

Like any sector it would have to abide by health and safety laws, you can enforce regular STD checks and the use of condoms and these problem disappear. Similar rules could prevent the use of trafficked women. I am not here to argue the exact specifics but you could simply state that only citizens could work as prostitutes. If the criminal underground has no direct access to the controls of brothels, as they are all controlled by state regulations, then they wouldn't gain any significant power from this, and would most likely lose control by losing out on their pimping income.

Calling something immoral isn't an argument. Morality is not Universal, or black and white. It is commercially exploitive.... of the customer. The people being exploited are the clients, not the prostitutes. Sex is effectively a free commodity, it doesn't have to cost anything, and it isn't like you can monopolise on sex as people are free to do it between two or more consenting adults.

So yeah, prostitution should be legalised.

it would reduce crime, improve public health, increase tax revenue, help people out of poverty, get prostitutes off the streets, and allow consenting adults to make their own choices. They contend that prostitution is a victimless crime

but

Cons outweigh the Pro's.

ILLEGAL.

Sex crimes in many cases stem from high sexual tension. I would argue that prostitution being legalized would serve to reduce rape.

I have no idea whether to support it or oppose it. It doesn't help that we don't even know how a society would react to the introduction of it. There are so many variables and so many possibilities.

I suppose the minimums that would be needed for me to support it would be that women are in a safe work environment and by no means forced into this line of work, whether by human trafficking or economic necessity.

Sex crimes in many cases stem from high sexual tension. I would argue that prostitution being legalized would serve to reduce rape.

So can some lotion and tissues.

Edited by Sax

I think regulated, controlled, and voluntary prostitution would be ok, but women being sold or forced into it is a problem.

I would be inclined to say yes and no. Rape is generally about power, not necessarily sex. It's a way of showing your dominance over another person in a particular way.

Other than moral opposition, there isn't a real reason to ban prostitution. Regulation can and will reduce the risk of STDs (for example, requiring prostitutes to carry around a badge or ID that shows that they've passed an STD test recently, requiring vaccinations and condom use). Prostitution happens regardless and unregulated, underground prostitution is definitely worse.

Edited by theking1322

I don't think prostitution is right, but I think it should be legalised and regulated, because it really is unavoidable. So if we can't stop it, we may as well make sure that the girls/guys who work in the sector are treated well.

Edited by reepicheep

Prostitution would lead to increases in sexually transmitted diseases such as AIDS, global human trafficking, and violent crime including rape and homicide.

I disagree. Take the old Italian courtesans. They were a competitive business just like anything else and as a result, they had to have clean women who were skilled and polite.

The tax revenues alone make this an effort worth exploring. The tired of ideas of a tired old book should no longer decide what is 'moral' for our nation. An adult has the choice to have sex with whom they choose...why not make some money in the process? How is that any less moral than taking an attractive female on an expensive date? The only difference is, you are guaranteed to be satisfied and she won't call you in the morning. :)

What exactly is the difference between buying the services of a prostitute and hooking up with someone in the weekend? Oh yes, the prostitute would actually regularily check herself for STDs.

but

Cons outweigh the Pro's.

ILLEGAL.

Two things.

1. Have you ever heard of regulation?

2. Have you ever heard of gigolos?

Prostitution presents women as sex objects.. It should be illegal.

Prostitution presents prostitutes as sex objects.

Also women aren't the only gender allowed to be prostitutes (gosh I hate typing that word out, I always stuff it up >.<).

3665ql.jpg

I'm not sure I agree with that.

They are people offering a service. Whether or not you dehumanize them and treat them as objects instead of people is up to you.

The way many girls dress presents than as objects. People go "Oh wow, I see boobs hanging out of that tank top, I want to bang her". etc. this isn't any worse.

While I don't support the prositution lifestyle, you should be able to do with your body what you want to do. While I'm against gay marriage, the same arguement could be given to prostitution, why should we discrimainate doing what they want to do with their bodies.

I'm with lilshu on this one

Edited by Luftey

Prostitution swings both ways. Like lilshu said, they're only going to be presented as sex objects if you view them that way.

It's also one of the world's oldest professions, and is going to happen regardless of the law. I say let the women do what they want, and let whoever wants their services pay for it.

Prostitution swings both ways. Like lilshu said, they're only going to be presented as sex objects if you view them that way.

It's also one of the world's oldest professions, and is going to happen regardless of the law. I say let the women do what they want, and let whoever wants their services pay for it.

wat

wat

Poor wording. It's easy to forget that men can be prostitutes too because of the prevalence of female prostitutes in comparison. My bad.

Edited by Kemosabe

It should be legal. Thing is, like everyone is saying, the prostitutes would have to be checked out to make sure they are clean. There would be little to no prostitutes initially available, because I highly doubt there are many that are clean. So we'll have to wait a while for a new generation of girls/boys with daddy/mommy issues.

One current problem with prostitutes is that they aren't very attractive. At least many aren't. Maybe legalization will bring in a young attractive crowd. Who wants to pay to have sex with a gross, fat, old, ugly chick, that's had 12 different guys inside her that day. If shes young and attractive, that "12" wont seem so bad. Maybe... It would stop me at least.

Who wants to pay to have sex with a gross, fat, old, ugly chick, that's had 12 different guys inside her that day. If shes young and attractive, that "12" wont seem so bad. Maybe... It would stop me at least.

On the other end of the spectrum, what young attractive fe/males would desire to take in 12 gross fat old ugly wo/men on a daily basis?

Very desperate ones, perhaps, but if they are young and attractive they could probably find a partner willing to fill their sexual desires.

I was shocked at the amount of "Legal"'s

It's legal where I live. iirc there was a story on tv about women working at a very classy brothel who were making 100k+/year in Melbourne. But they're bout $350/hr. I'll have a look when I'm in Melbourne early next year and report back here.

On topic: Legalization and regulation would lead to increased tax revenue and will make it safer for both the providers and the buyers. I see nothing wrong with it.

Edited by Vlad

It's legal where I live. iirc there was a story on tv about women working at a very classy brothel who were making 100k+/year in Melbourne. But they're bout $350/hr. I'll have a look when I'm in Melbourne early next year and report back here.

On topic: Legalization and regulation would lead to increased tax revenue and will make it safer for both the providers and the buyers. I see nothing wrong with it.

plus, when you ship a sunday major, hookers and blow are much more convenient