Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Master Neverdead

Magic: The Gathering Trading and Playing

magic_the_gathering_dotp_2012_by_jenack-d3jcych.png

Sal's Official MTG Thread

"The world is already run by all manner of machines. One day, they'll remind us of that fact." - Sargis Haz, human artificer (As shown on the Steel Overseer (M11) Card)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome to the Magic thread!

For the moment, this thread is more like a test than anything else to see if there actually is an active Magic playing community here at Sal's. If so, I would be delighted to get to know you all and discuss this game. smile.png

Also, if you would like to know anything at all about the game, feel free to ask. I have been playing since I was a kid so I have the rules down as well as how to build decks, how to use them, and winning strategies. Pick me brain! smile.png

I would value any input anyone else has as well. This game is always in motion and is a constant learning experience, so I am sure there are some of you that I can learn from as well.

To see my collection, http://store.tcgplay...n.aspx?ID=18587 <----- Click!

At the same site, input your collection and we can begin trading right away!

Anyway, happy posting!

Edited by Master Neverdead

I will be watching this closely! I got roughly 300 Commons and Uncommons from a friend and have been meaning to sit down and try my hand at making some Pauper Decks, mostly because Im too poor to afford rares and such sad.png

Any advice on deck building/other noobie advice would be accepted :D

Edited by Sage

A new player! How exciting.

The first piece of advice is to choose what sort of player you are going to be. Tournament players are the most popular right now, only it is difficult to find a tournament (unless you live in a massive city) that will allow you to play with any cards that aren't part of either the current edition or one or more of its expansions. This gets quite expensive as you have to buy new cards several times a a year in order to stay current and competitive.

Which is why I am the second option, a "house" or "table" player. There are still many exciting game modes to play in but you can play with cards from any year or edition. This can be more difficult however, as most people that play this way have a lot of experience at crafting excellent decks.

Which brings us to deckbuilding.

The first thing I can say about deckbuilding is that it is similar to writing a story. Only, instead of working with prose you are designing a library of unique cards to work together like a symphony orchestra to gain victory over the other players. If you can't tell the story in one sentence, then your deck is not focused enough. Example: I have a vampire deck that I would describe like this, "My vampire deck is based on speed, control, and gaining life."

EVERY card in there is either cheap to play, can be used to control or destroy other creatures, or gains me life points to my player total. It is focused on those core concepts and only those.

The second most important thing about deckbuilding is balance. There must be a good balance of small, weak cards, middle of the pack cards, and large, powerful cards. You don't want more than 2-6 cards that cost 6 mana or more and you don't want 20+ cards of 3 mana or less, that sort of thing. In a standard (EVERY one of my 12 decks has exactly 60 cards) 60 card deck this becomes even more important.

The good news is, an epic deck doesn't take all that much cash. I will complete this post by showing images and prices of cards that can be made into a deck very easily. (Ebay is a great source for magic cards.)

I will demonstrate a good deck build as a model for you to use in building your own.

1 Victory's Herald (You can buy a set of four for $2.62 shipping included)

$(KGrHqF,!oME8VonTOQEBPSu3)e+kw~~60_12.JPG

2 Aegis Angels (You can buy a set of 4 for $3.19 shipping included)

$(KGrHqF,!h0E3OUWO(W!BOJhNP!Lcg~~0_12.JPG

4 Serra Angel (Negligible cost, less than above)

2 Angel of Mercy

2 Kabira Vindicator (same...in fact all remaining cards are either 99 cents for a lot of four or up to but not exceeding a dollar a piece, many of them you may have and many more can be found in booster packs which can be bought at 4 bucks or so)

4 Leonin Skyhunter

2 Gideon's Lawkeeper

1 Stonehorn Dignitary

2 Benalish Veteran

2 Kor Duelist

Equipment

2 Swiftfoot Boot

1 Pennant Blade

2 Greatsword

1 Loxodon Warhammer

Enchantments

2 Spirit Mantle

2 Arrest

2 Pacifism

Instants/Sorceries

2 Landbind Ritual

2 Angelic Blessing

2 Holy Day

20 Plains

All of that equals a 60 card custom White deck. Complete with damage prevention, blocker nullification, equipment, and of course angels. :P

Realistically, that exact deck won't set you back much at all. But more importantly, if you do some homework and research the cards (you really didn't think I would do ALL of the research did you? :P ) you can see how a decent deck is put together. Being honest, this deck is basic. It will certainly work well in a game but as you collect cards you may find some more that fit in there better or perhaps change some of the numbers of some of the cards. This is not a battletested deck, so you never know!

Anyway, I hope I was helpful!

Also, let me know some of the cards you already have and I can try to help you if you can't get any of the above or if you can't use the example above to build your own with the cards you have.

I play Magic fairly often with friends.

Currently running a Green/White Splicer deck.

Also use Black/Green Infect, Green/White Saprolings, and Black/Red Vampires.

Splicer, nice.

Never was a big fan of infect. After about a year of that the games would end to quickly. With New Phyrexia it became too easy to give out poison counters. My friends and I agreed to stop using it. Just no fun.

Ahh, I need to build a red/black vampire deck myself. Traded for two Stormkirk Captains the other day. They are a nice start.

Splicers are a bit mana intensive, but once you can get stuff out you build up a pretty large army of 4/4's in a few turns.

Too slow for any serious play, but good for friends.

I really enjoy mechanics like Splicers/Slivers.

Edited by Balmung

Green/White Saprolings

Lolololol I'll have to find my decklist for my green white saprolings token generator. Doubling Season is so fudgeing overpowered. If played right it's generating tokens on the order of thousands per turn.

My favorite trololol deck was most definitely my mill deck. People hate Blue/Mill/Lockdown.

Edited by Morte

Thanks for the advice Master! :) And I can confirm that I am one of those people that hate Lockdown decks, my friend has one that literally prevented me from doing anything at all after the 3rd turn or so, freaking annoying! :P

How do you guys find people to play with? I really only had one other friend that played, and he graduated in December >.<

Thanks for the advice Master! smile.png And I can confirm that I am one of those people that hate Lockdown decks, my friend has one that literally prevented me from doing anything at all after the 3rd turn or so, freaking annoying! tongue.png

How do you guys find people to play with? I really only had one other friend that played, and he graduated in December bleh.gif

I've not had time nor people to play with for about a year now, although there's several places around here that do friday night magic. It's just not as fun when it's no t with friends, plus some people stick WAY too much to the rules.

The rules are necessary Morte. My house games are to the letter, they just don't require anyone to have the latest cards. Bring whatever deck you like. tongue.png

Well, if anyone is close to Northeast Missouri or Northwest Illinois then you might be close enough to play with me. smile.png

Other than that, I've taught some of my friends in the area how to play and a couple of them have really taken off with it and have decks that rival my own now. So that is one way to do it. Also, if you go to TCGplayer.com you can talk with people as well as view their entire collection (something I'm currently trying to finish....I wish I'd found this site back when I only had a few cards).

But yes, my house is always open to gamers and friends. If you feel like making a road trip and hanging out for a couple days, let me know and we can work out the details. tongue.png

EDIT: To see my collection, http://store.tcgplayer.com/Collection.aspx?ID=18587 <----- Click!

I have entered all of my M12 core set cards, but it will take me time before I get the rest (hundreds) of my cards added. Nevertheless, anyone from here who wants to trade should make an account there as well. It is fast and easy to enter your cards and trading is safe there. After you've done so, just let me know if you want to trade and I can make any of my cards available (the ones I'm willing to give up anyway :P )

Hope to be trading soon!

Edited by Master Neverdead

How do you guys find people to play with? I really only had one other friend that played, and he graduated in December bleh.gif

I had stopped playing for quite a while after Ravnica came out, but recently found a group of people (about eight or so) to play with.

They're trying to get me into EDH, but after trying a few game it feels kind of meh.

Found my next project for a rainy day, putting my box of commons/uncommons on tcgplayer ;)

Kind of is a daunting task after all on TCGplayer. But, it is well worth it. I've never been able to count and sort all of my cards so having this is nice because I can search my collection online to see if I have anything. Very cool.

I had stopped playing for quite a while after Ravnica came out, but recently found a group of people (about eight or so) to play with.

They're trying to get me into EDH, but after trying a few game it feels kind of meh.

EDH is a nice alternative for when you get bored.

ohh a Magic Thread :D

I started playing Magic again a few weeks ago, found out my deck was too out-dated -.-.

Anyways, a friend of mine bought the new Ajani vs Nicol Bolas decks... If somehow that Nicol Bolas Planeswalker enters the battlefield, there's no change of winning >.< so overpowered. Any tips?

I'm planning on buying the Knights vs Dragons dual decks with another friend, I'm going to keep the Knights deck. Do you think I have any chance against the Nicol Bolas/Ajani decks?