Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Merch Gwyar

Big 1337 question, I has one

What should I do?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What is the 1337 course of action here?

• Carry on as you have in the picture
    • Do a 1337 version, but don't use a translator, do 'normal' 1337
    • Don't do a 1337 version

I have a dilemma. The reason that you hardly see me these days is being I'm working every hour Guthix sends on trying to make a go of it as a freelance writer. I won't bore you with the utter mind-(whenMummyandDaddyLoveEachOtherVeryMuch) nature of all that.

But the salient point here is that i need to generate visitors/hits and, hopefully, commission sales. Today, I wrote an article about buying baby clothes for gamers. Well, those gamers with babies, or else that would be very weird. I then had the idea of reproducing the exact same article, but in L33t. It's gamers who are going to read it and all that.

My thoughts here is that the 1337 version is more likely to attract visitors, as a novelty thing. Then be tweeted, FB liked etc to all of their friends. Target audience well and truly targeted.

But would that just look crap? Let me show you:

Gift Ideas for a Gamer Baby <--- The Original and (underneath) how it would look in 1337

b54fd1dd9a28457306416c5ffa4243b5.png The picture disappeared. > : ( It's here; http://gyazo.com/b54fd1dd9a28457306416c5ffa4243b5

I used a Leet translator to do that, because frankly it would take forever to do the whole page otherwise. The feedback from people in Skype with me atm is that it's a good idea, but not using that L33t. I should use the variety more likely to be seen in Runescape.

What are your thoughts? I've added a poll, but also feel free to comment. Doing this is going to take time to do, whichever 1337 I use. I don't want to do that, if it's a crap idea.

Over to you, Sal's! And thanks in advance.

Edited by Merch Gwyar

Not fully l33t.

You should have a single version. In said version you should throw in the odd l33t word here and there. These words should be fairly obvious (trying to read that entire page was painful in l33t).

We're having this conversation in Skype as well. About halfway through the big paragraph, your brain kind of clicks and it becomes easier to read. But it's not what I'd call gamer l33t. If someone went off like this in RS, we'd all be calling them pretentious gits.

I'm currently searching the internetz for alternative translators, mainly because it would take too long to do it all myself. Laziness ftw!

Thanks for your input here. <3

I don't think the answer to profitable online writing lies in Wizzley. I read your article, then it struck me what your problem is -- I've NEVER had a Wizzley article show up in my search results from Google. To be perfectly honest, the possible existence of a l33t version of this article is not going to matter one whit in terms of profit. I would suggest re-purposing the time you'd spend translating to write another article or two, then get your own blog that's not tied to Sal's or Wizzley.

Not trying to be a downer, honest. I personally know exactly one person who's profited off what she's done online, and that's after ten years of bouncing around forums and becoming an expert in her field. To make any significant money, you'll pretty much need your own site. A blog-style site will probably serve you well until you find a niche - because let's face it, baby clothes for gamers isn't exactly in the interest sphere of 99% of the population.

I do wish you the best of luck, Merch! Your writing is clear and concise; now you need to find a way to get it out there. Hope my post didn't come across as too rude or discouraging.

Thanks for your input. These are all things that I've been contemplating for months. I've tried a couple of forums, plus a couple of my own blogs. Everything's going in the right direction, it's just a long haul thing.

Wizzley's a relatively new site, hence its comparative absence in the SERPs. But it is growing fast. There are already two people making full-time livings off that site alone, but they're both massive veterans at this. I'm in a learning curve, with no huge readership in my own name to follow me there. Just yesterday, someone posted on the forum that she'd made a huge commission there too. It's basically a case of building up my name here, then transferring to my own blog later.

I do know quite a few people now who have been able to give up the day job and do this full time (several of the writers on Wizzley for a start, but most of them also have years of presence on sites like Squidoo and Hubpages). Then again, I'm moving in those circles, so I'm being exposed to them.

Thanks for watching my back though. I'll need that luck! And no, you didn't come across as too rude or discouraging.

Its good but I do not want to read through all that. :D People will sure be interested!

I just lost my whole freaking post. /wrists

TL;DR version, a 1337 version doesn't cater for the right audience. It's not being harsh but the typical gamer is a teenage male. It's just a fact :P.

Since I just lost all of my post, I'll try and keep this as short but as sweet as I possibly can.

You need to try and find out how many of these products are being sold. If you can find out that, then at least you can find out your target audiences. That'll mean you wont be trying to figure out some scheme to get other audiences interested. I'd say your core gaming market isn't going to be interested and that the product is a little niche. It's almost casual-gamer, bored pregnant mother sort of thing. Point is, you're audience isn't going to be the mass so you'll need to appeal to the smaller audiences and really hit hard.

Find out what's been selling the most and highlight that product, perhaps you could bring in some advertising which does work but you'll have to consider how many of these will simply be clicks and how many purchases will be made. So okay, my uncle recently showed me some of his advertising through Google. He had 100,000 clicks and only one person bought something. They were a repeat customer and he did turn a profit just on that one bit of advertising, but you've really gotta think about that kind of thing.

So anyway back onto topic, you need a platform where you're target audience are going to see it. This is where I'm a little stuck though. Without splashing out on advertisement you're stuck with free options. You've got things like Youtube, word of mouth, Google, twitter, blogging. I think you're gonna really need to think about who would buy this baby gear and what they would be looking for on the internet.

TL;DR version, a 1337 version doesn't cater for the right audience. It's not being harsh but the typical gamer is a teenage male. It's just a fact :P.

I'm fairly sure that the average gamer is around 30 years old...

http://www.theesa.com/facts/index.asp

37 years old to be precise. And at that age most people have families so the target audience is perfect!

37 years old to be precise. And at that age most people have families so the target audience is perfect!

For some reason, regardless of the fact that it is I'm still having a hard time agreeing with it. That's the average in the US, in the UK it's 23+. But the scary part about those facts is that they give you no information about the people themselves. What defines a gamer to these people, out of how many people were surveyed? Catch my drift?

But also, I just want to point out to you 1337 speak is very much a younger audience thing. Using it on a 37 year old is going to be redundant for the most part. You can argue and argue but I just don't see any 37 year old look at 1337 speak and say "hmmm, i should most definitely read this".

I can give you these obviously, i'm not sure how factual they are but there is a niche market for you regardless.

• The average age of the UK female gamer is 30-35 years old.
  • 27.2% of all active gamers in the UK are women.
  • 51.2% of British men and 25.1% of British women aged 10-35 play games regularly.

Sorry that I didn't have my facts straight before. Now i'm looking to see who the average is in the hardcore gaming market. Also, i'd like to know who here has cool enough parents that they game? I don't know anyone in my family or simply anyone who games that is over 30.

I put my hands up and say I was wrong, but there is no way i'm pulling my point away :P.

These are some facts from the BBC in 2005, I don't want you to take them as relevant from now, but I would like to push certain things into your mind. http://open.bbc.co.u...search_2005.pdf

In this PDF it says this.

o7e8J.png

Now, compared to now that is very different and that is 7 years ago. So taking in that the older generation work and that the younger generation have more time for gaming, wouldn't it be feasible to say the least that the probable rise in markets for the older generation is the casual gaming market. Your games like angry birds for instance. With those particular stats it's very easy to see why I thought the way that I did. Granted there is still a hefty amount of gamer that are older.

So there you go...I went on my own little journey for you :P.

Edited by Fatalysm

For some reason, regardless of the fact that it is I'm still having a hard time agreeing with it. That's the average in the US, in the UK it's 23+. But the scary part about those facts is that they give you no information about the people themselves. What defines a gamer to these people, out of how many people were surveyed? Catch my drift?

But also, I just want to point out to you 1337 speak is very much a younger audience thing. Using it on a 37 year old is going to be redundant for the most part. You can argue and argue but I just don't see any 37 year old look at 1337 speak and say "hmmm, i should most definitely read this".

I can give you these obviously, i'm not sure how factual they are but there is a niche market for you regardless.

• The average age of the UK female gamer is 30-35 years old.
  • 27.2% of all active gamers in the UK are women.
  • 51.2% of British men and 25.1% of British women aged 10-35 play games regularly.

Sorry that I didn't have my facts straight before. Now i'm looking to see who the average is in the hardcore gaming market. Also, i'd like to know who here has cool enough parents that they game? I don't know anyone in my family or simply anyone who games that is over 30.

I put my hands up and say I was wrong, but there is no way i'm pulling my point away :P.

These are some facts from the BBC in 2005, I don't want you to take them as relevant from now, but I would like to push certain things into your mind. http://open.bbc.co.u...search_2005.pdf

In this PDF it says this.

o7e8J.png

Now, compared to now that is very different and that is 7 years ago. So taking in that the older generation work and that the younger generation have more time for gaming, wouldn't it be feasible to say the least that the probable rise in markets for the older generation is the casual gaming market. Your games like angry birds for instance. With those particular stats it's very easy to see why I thought the way that I did. Granted there is still a hefty amount of gamer that are older.

So there you go...I went on my own little journey for you :P.

Firstly, I just want to say my dad games. Not as "hardcore" as most teens, but he plays Call of Duty, Battlefield, Farcry etc. and he's 43. I actually think it makes more sense for older people to game, as they grew up with the first ever game systems, and have being hooked ever since.

Anyway, I understand what you're saying about the 1337 speak thing. I don't think anyone wants to read an article in 1337 speak, let alone an adult with a family. I just don't see it as a worthwhile decision and is a huge waste of time.

I'm absolutely fascinated by those statistics! thanks for finding them out. Incidentally, I'm female, I game (obviously) and I'm nearly 40. :P

But I take everyone's point about the 1337 version and I'll delete it from my 'to write' list forthwith. Thanks everyone for your input!

PS These stats prove that there are women on the internet. Just saying. :)

I'm absolutely fascinated by those statistics! thanks for finding them out. Incidentally, I'm female, I game (obviously) and I'm nearly 40. :P

But I take everyone's point about the 1337 version and I'll delete it from my 'to write' list forthwith. Thanks everyone for your input!

PS These stats prove that there are women on the internet. Just saying. :)

Obviously! Thanks to the invention of Wi-Fi, women can now go on the Internet in the kitchen!