Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gnomercy

New computer

So, some of you may remember I posted my poor computer specs up a few months ago. Last week I bought a new computer for gaming.

Specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit SP1

AMD Athlon 64 x2 Dual Core 4600+ Processor

4GB RAM Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 420MHz

320MB NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS

Thoughts?

is that ur new computer? How much does it cost? cos the specs arent that good

Exactly.

The specs are years out of date. Literally years out of date. That setup was probably built in mid-2007. It's a piece of crap, and if you paid any more than $300 for the box, you overpaid by a lot.

So, some of you may remember I posted my poor computer specs up a few months ago. Last week I bought a new computer for gaming.

Specs:

Thoughts?

>32 bit

May I ask why? lol. shizzle computer man, sorry. should've done a bit more research or saved up more money or something, cuz that won't run much.

Specs:

Thoughts?

>32 bit

May I ask why? lol. shizzle computer man, sorry. should've done a bit more research or saved up more money or something, cuz that won't run much.

I did do research and it seems to be running stuff fine?

I spent so much time looking for a good computer for you. :(

And in my opinion, I found a good one?

Exactly.

The specs are years out of date. Literally years out of date. That setup was probably built in mid-2007. It's a piece of crap, and if you paid any more than $300 for the box, you overpaid by a lot.

Don't you think "piece of crap" is a bit harsh? And no, I only paid about $200.

Well, it wasn't a pre-built. I got a friend of mine to build it for me.

For $200 it's not terrible, it's just five years out of date. You could perhaps upgrade the graphics if you wanted to, but eh it's already towards the end of its life.

Edited by redmonke

For $200 it's not terrible, it's just five years out of date. You could perhaps upgrade the graphics if you wanted to, but eh it's already towards the end of its life.

The parts are brand new, so I'd say it's far from the end of it's life. It was somewhere between $150-200. The RAM can be upgraded to 16GB and it can run a quad processor or something?

Any recommendations for a graphics card?

Where can you even buy these parts new? DDR2 prices have skyrocketed because nobody makes it, the 8800 GTS I can't find anywhere except used for like $50, same goes for the Athlon.

You can't upgrade your processor because the socket, AM2, has been dead for a while now. RAM upgrade will be tough and you're looking at well over $150 just to upgrade to 8GB. I don't even know the status on your PSU.

I haven't been keeping up with desktop graphics cards recently since I mostly deal with laptops and mobile computing, but I know the NVidia 560 Ti is a pretty nice powerhouse of a desktop card.

Where can you even buy these parts new? DDR2 prices have skyrocketed because nobody makes it, the 8800 GTS I can't find anywhere except used for like $50, same goes for the Athlon.

You can't upgrade your processor because the socket, AM2, has been dead for a while now. RAM upgrade will be tough and you're looking at well over $150 just to upgrade to 8GB. I don't even know the status on your PSU.

I haven't been keeping up with desktop graphics cards recently since I mostly deal with laptops and mobile computing, but I know the NVidia 560 Ti is a pretty nice powerhouse of a desktop card.

I already had a DDR2, but it hadn't been used!

So there's no way I can upgrade the processor to anything? Even an old one that's still newer than the Athlon?

My friend who built it said it can easily be upgraded to 16GB RAM and showed me how. What's the PSU?

So there's no way I can upgrade the processor to anything? Even an old one that's still newer than the Athlon?

My friend who built it said it can easily be upgraded to 16GB RAM and showed me how. What's the PSU?

I somehow doubt your friend's legitimacy. You need to know your mother board model number to know what the max amount is.

To see how much wattage your PSU is you need to open the case and look on the actual box (the box where the plug from the wall goes in).

I somehow doubt your friend's legitimacy. You need to know your mother board model number to know what the max amount is.

To see how much wattage your PSU is you need to open the case and look on the actual box (the box where the plug from the wall goes in).

Motherboard

ECS GF8100VM-M5 (CPU 1)

And I'm not sure I want to try to take it apart!

EDIT:

Manufacturer ECS

Model GF8100VM-M5 (CPU 1)

Version 1.0

Chipset Vendor NVIDIA

Chipset Model nForce 720a

Chipset Revision A2

Southbridge Vendor NVIDIA

Southbridge Model ID075C

Southbridge Revision A2

Edited by Gnomercy

Yea so your motherboard can support 16GB with two sticks, which you're not going to find. You could upgrade to 8GB but that's a waste of money.

Honestly, don't sink any money into this computer. If it works fine for you, that's alright, but use it for a bit and then just get a new computer when the time comes. No use spending money on this.

Yea so your motherboard can support 16GB with two sticks, which you're not going to find. You could upgrade to 8GB but that's a waste of money.

Honestly, don't sink any money into this computer. If it works fine for you, that's alright, but use it for a bit and then just get a new computer when the time comes. No use spending money on this.

But don't you think "crap" was a bit harsh? It's run TF2 and Quake without any lag whatsoever, on max settings, and it runs Crysis fine.

But don't you think "crap" was a bit harsh? It's run TF2 and Quake without any lag whatsoever, on max settings, and it runs Crysis fine.

It's better than my computer, then again mine is a laptop. It's just old.

Exactly.

No; I think it's accurate. It's a POS regardless of price, but paying $200 does make it more palatable.

Athlon 64 X2 --> Phenom --> Phenom II --> Bulldozer

G80 --> G92 --> GTX 200 --> GTX 400 --> GTX 500

It's been wholly replaced several times over. Your problem is going to be 320MB VRAM--I was wrong a few years ago--I didn't realize how fast high-res textures would pickup. Now then, I don't know what your budget was, but that was at best a temporary system. 2 years, tops, for gaming at low or medium settings.

Exactly.

No; I think it's accurate. It's a POS regardless of price, but paying $200 does make it more palatable.

Athlon 64 X2 --> Phenom --> Phenom II --> Bulldozer

G80 --> G92 --> GTX 200 --> GTX 400 --> GTX 500

It's been wholly replaced several times over. Your problem is going to be 320MB VRAM--I was wrong a few years ago--I didn't realize how fast high-res textures would pickup. Now then, I don't know what your budget was, but that was at best a temporary system. 2 years, tops, for gaming at low or medium settings.

It's hardly a POS if it's been running games perfectly well. I thought I got a very good price for it at under $200. The best thing about it was that I got a sweet body kit with it, so I can easily change the computer inside and it'll still look sweet.

What would you suggest I do in regards to a processor, RAM and graphics then?

Edited by Gnomercy

That depends on the power supply. But giving you targets to aim for, a Radeon HD 6870 or GeForce GTX 560 (base model) would be a huge upgrade. 6GB or 8GB RAM, to me, is required for lasting power in gaming. For processor and motherboard, a Core i5-2500K (soon to be replaced by an i5-3570K) and a compatible motherboard (preferably Z75--though those boards are yet to be seen).

The CPU will probably run about the same as a 2500K--$220. A compatible motherboard (H67, P67, Z68, H77, Z75, Z77) could be $50-150, the RAM would be about $40, and the graphics card (HD6870) $160-180.

A better graphics card would always be, well, better. The reason I think it was a poor move (depending on your initial budget) is that you'll be able to run that system just fine in old games but, in new titles, it'll be lagging behind. When you upgrade, you're already out the $200 for the 2nd hand box unless you will use at least the chassis & power supply and preferably the hard drive and optical drive too. But being built around 2007, you may still have an IDE optical drive and hard drive--which is useless with 98% of new hardware.

That depends on the power supply. But giving you targets to aim for, a Radeon HD 6870 or GeForce GTX 560 (base model) would be a huge upgrade. 6GB or 8GB RAM, to me, is required for lasting power in gaming. For processor and motherboard, a Core i5-2500K (soon to be replaced by an i5-3570K) and a compatible motherboard (preferably Z75--though those boards are yet to be seen).

The CPU will probably run about the same as a 2500K--$220. A compatible motherboard (H67, P67, Z68, H77, Z75, Z77) could be $50-150, the RAM would be about $40, and the graphics card (HD6870) $160-180.

A better graphics card would always be, well, better. The reason I think it was a poor move (depending on your initial budget) is that you'll be able to run that system just fine in old games but, in new titles, it'll be lagging behind. When you upgrade, you're already out the $200 for the 2nd hand box unless you will use at least the chassis & power supply and preferably the hard drive and optical drive too. But being built around 2007, you may still have an IDE optical drive and hard drive--which is useless with 98% of new hardware.

OK thank you. So you're saying about ~$500? I didn't have very much money, and I love the body kit a lot and it's go plenty of space on the hard drive which was brand new, so I don't mind having paid $150 - 200 for that.

I'm not a heavy duty gamer, so I rarely get games when they first come out. I normally play them a year or two after, mostly because of price.

I computer was only built a few months ago, it must just be that the parts are old.

How can I check my optical drive?

And for the PSU where do I look when I look inside the computer?

You've said body kit a few times--you mean chassis, right? I don't know what your initial budget was but, whatever it could have been, is decreased by that $200. And yes, the parts are going on 5 years old. Also note that, even buying games a year after release, that it's still like playing on a 4-year-old system.

Edited by Bob-sama

You've said body kit a few times--you mean chassis, right? I don't know what your initial budget was but, whatever it could have been, is decreased by that $200. And yes, the parts are going on 5 years old. Also note that, even buying games a year after release, that it's still like playing on a 4-year-old system.

"How can I check my optical drive?

And for the PSU where do I look when I look inside the computer? " <- Do you know?

I think it it's chassis. I don't know the proper term. The box basically! Well I've got a decent hard drive in it and the chassis, so I don't mind having paid $200.

I know you recommended this: http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819115072

But what are your thoughts on these?

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103996

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16819103962

EDIT: And http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103727

Edited by Gnomercy

What kind of hard drive do you have? If it's an old computer it's very likely that you have a slow one.

Those AMD CPUs are decent but they get wrecked by Intel in every price bracket. And you won't be able to install them in your old motherboard if that's what you were getting at.

Core i5 2500k is the best gaming CPU you can buy right now. The more expensive i7s have additional features that games don't take advantage of anyway. In benchmark tests, the FPS difference between them is minuscule.

Edited by theking1322

AM3+ processors requires either an AM3 or AM3+ motherboard.

Those CPUs are capable enough when gaming, but the Core i5 is the clear leader. As I said, though, Intel's launching their next generation CPUs & matching chipsets shortly. A likely release date is April 8th. Benchmarks are already floating around for Ivy Bridge chips. There's also been a ton of teasers for Z77 motherboards and we know that most H67/P67/Z68 motherboards will support Ivy Bridge as a drop-in upgrade. The problem with that is the 70-series chipsets natively support 4 USB 3.0 ports and PCI Express 3.0--most 60-series chipsets use 3rd party USB 3.0 controllers and true PCI-E 3.0 compatibility is yet to be seen. I haven't seen new native USB 3.0 controller benchmarks; it's possible that they'll outperform most of today's solutions.

If you plan to upgrade again within 2 years, it's probably best to grab a K-edition CPU even if you don't plan to overclock (and it doesn't sound like you do). Reason being they should have better resale values when put on eBay. Pass on a K-edition if your budget is too tight or you never plan to upgrade the CPU.

The Phenom II X4 and FX-4100 are both lackluster compared to even Core i3's. The FX-6100 is a tad better but it's inferior to preceding Phenom II X6's.