Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Gnomercy

New computer

Also, nVidia pulled it off. They topped AMD's new HD 7970 by a healthy margin and looks like they'll drive new GPU prices down. Expect an official AMD price drop--a stab in the dark would say the HD 7950 will be $400 and the HD 7970 will be $500. Hopefully, AMD will cut those lower and shift everything else down with it. But for now, Newegg and others are cutting a few more dollars off the HD 7900's.

I'm now drooling over GTX 680's. :tongue:

I'm probably going to get myself a pair of 660s.

Not if I get myself a pair of 680's first!

Heh, I'd gladly get 680s but I don't want to spend $1k on videocards. My plan was to buy one 660 ASAP and a second one later when I've saved up for it.

Although dual 680s would be sweet. Of course then I might just have to spring for two more monitors... :P

Also, nVidia pulled it off. They topped AMD's new HD 7970 by a healthy margin and looks like they'll drive new GPU prices down. Expect an official AMD price drop--a stab in the dark would say the HD 7950 will be $400 and the HD 7970 will be $500. Hopefully, AMD will cut those lower and shift everything else down with it. But for now, Newegg and others are cutting a few more dollars off the HD 7900's.

I'm now drooling over GTX 680's. :tongue:

I'm probably going to get myself a pair of 660s.

Not if I get myself a pair of 680's first!

Heh, I'd gladly get 680s but I don't want to spend $1k on videocards. My plan was to buy one 660 ASAP and a second one later when I've saved up for it.

Although dual 680s would be sweet. Of course then I might just have to spring for two more monitors... :P

I've been drooling over Dell Ultrasharp U2212HM's and U2412HM's. The former is 1920x1080 and the latter is 1920x1200. TBH, I'd prefer a pair of HD7950's if AMD would just drop their official prices!

Yeah, although two 680s and three LED monitors would obliterate my budget - my Ivy Bridge rig is going to cost me $1700 if I get just one 680... with two 680s and three IPS screens I'm looking at $2500 lol.

Lol, the GTX680 is sold out everywhere already.

Also, it would appear that the GTX680's GK104 isn't even the "Big Kepler". Rumor has it that there's a GK110 which is the true high-end Kepler GPU. I can't even begin to imagine what the performance on that thing must be.

It's regrettable that Nvidia is selling us their midrange card for a high-end price.

Edited by theking1322

The GTX680 makes me want to get a job.

fudge I love nVIDIA :')

It's the first really good thing they've done since G92 launched.

The GTX680 makes me want to get a job.

fudge I love nVIDIA :')

It's the first really good thing they've done since G92 launched.

Omg I had a 9800GT up until a year ago and that was awesome :D

Sorry for a late bump guys, I just got my internet fixed for good.

Anyway, last time I posted in this, we were waiting for the release of something?

What should I be looking at now?

Sorry for a late bump guys, I just got my internet fixed for good.

Anyway, last time I posted in this, we were waiting for the release of something?

What should I be looking at now?

What are you needing now?

Current budget and purpose? Rereading just pg1, I saw I recommended a new CPU, motherboard, RAM, graphics card. In order of absolute importance, I'd probably go power supply (if necessary), graphics card, then CPU, motherboard, & RAM. Last, I'd say a drive upgrade (a 120/128/240/256GB SSD) and possibly a big storage drive (a 2TB+ hard drive).

Core i5-3570K & Z77 motherboard -- $328

G.Skill Value Series 2x4GB DDR3 1333 CL9 -- $40

Radeon HD 7770 GHz 1GB -- $125 - $15 MIR or Radeon HD 7850 2GB -- $235 - $20 MIR

Seasonic M12II 520W -- $60

Call it $650 for a new core setup.

The HD 7850 would certainly be the better graphics card. The 8800GTS-320 performs worse than an 8800GT-512.

AnandTech - Bench - GPU12 - 8800GT 512MB vs. HD 7770 1GB

AnandTech - Bench - GPU12 - 8800GT 512MB vs. HD 7850 2GB

AnandTech - Bench - GPU12 - HD 7770 1GB vs. HD 7850 2GB

Edited by Bob-sama

Current budget and purpose? Rereading just pg1, I saw I recommended a new CPU, motherboard, RAM, graphics card. In order of absolute importance, I'd probably go power supply (if necessary), graphics card, then CPU, motherboard, & RAM. Last, I'd say a drive upgrade (a 120/128/240/256GB SSD) and possibly a big storage drive (a 2TB+ hard drive).

Core i5-3570K & Z77 motherboard -- $328

G.Skill Value Series 2x4GB DDR3 1333 CL9 -- $40

Radeon HD 7770 GHz 1GB -- $125 - $15 MIR or Radeon HD 7850 2GB -- $235 - $20 MIR

Seasonic M12II 520W -- $60

Call it $650 for a new core setup.

The HD 7850 would certainly be the better graphics card. The 8800GTS-320 performs worse than an 8800GT-512.

AnandTech - Bench - GPU12 - 8800GT 512MB vs. HD 7770 1GB

AnandTech - Bench - GPU12 - 8800GT 512MB vs. HD 7850 2GB

AnandTech - Bench - GPU12 - HD 7770 1GB vs. HD 7850 2GB

Yes, I remember you telling me that I needed a new PSU. I also currently have a 1TB external HDD.

I remember that you were telling me to await the release of Ivy Bridge or something similar? Is that still relevant?

Yes: the Core i5-3570K is an Ivy Bridge CPU (most recent) and the Z77 chipset on the motherboard is Panther Point (also most recent). Once again, just to clarify, what power supply do you currently have in there? What chassis is in use?

Yes: the Core i5-3570K is an Ivy Bridge CPU (most recent) and the Z77 chipset on the motherboard is Panther Point (also most recent). Once again, just to clarify, what power supply do you currently have in there? What chassis is in use?

PSU:

XPower GTX Light 480

AC Input: 230Vac 50Hz 5A

DC Output: +3.3V +5V +12V1 +12V2 -12V +5Vsb

Max A: 25A 30A 20A 18A 0.8A 2.5A

Max Combined: 160W 300W 0.8A 2.5A

Total Max Output: 480W

But I remember you telling me I should upgrade this to a Corsair TX650 V2.

Chassis:

http://www.cjcompute...?recnumber=1218

777 T-Bird

This received fairly negative feedback from you guys, but I don't mind having it initially. It can be the last thing I upgrade, there's no rush for me.

http://www.cjcomputers.co.uk/products.asp?recnumber=1218

Yeah I see. Crappy case (too much plastic & phony chrome) IMO. Anyways, yeah, new PSU would be necessary. A decent power supply (Corsair TX650 V2, Antec EA-500D [or EA-650D], PCP&C Silencer II 750W or Silencer III 500W [Or III 600W], Seasonic M12II [or M12II] 520W [or 620W]).

http://www.cjcompute...?recnumber=1218

Yeah I see. Crappy case (too much plastic & phony chrome) IMO. Anyways, yeah, new PSU would be necessary. A decent power supply (Corsair TX650 V2, Antec EA-500D [or EA-650D], PCP&C Silencer II 750W or Silencer III 500W [Or III 600W], Seasonic M12II [or M12II] 520W [or 620W]).

Thanks! Can you please run me through the necessary order to purchase these in, so I can get started ASAP?

Any order works, actually. Power supply & graphics card are the biggest and most immediate improvements that you'd see. Order them first if you can't afford everything else. CPU, motherboard, & RAM are a bit more delayed in their effects: it'll be noticeable in gaming, but not as noticeable as the graphics card. Many games want or need better processors than the one you have.

Any order works, actually. Power supply & graphics card are the biggest and most immediate improvements that you'd see. Order them first if you can't afford everything else. CPU, motherboard, & RAM are a bit more delayed in their effects: it'll be noticeable in gaming, but not as noticeable as the graphics card. Many games want or need better processors than the one you have.

I know, I'm going to upgrade the processor eventually as well.

So PSU first then?

PSU first.

Graphics card second.

CPU, motherboard, & RAM third.

More or faster storage fourth.

PSU first.

Graphics card second.

CPU, motherboard, & RAM third.

More or faster storage fourth.

Alright thanks. However, I'm currently struggling with an overheating problem. Will the new PSU fix this?

No.

You need to reseat the CPU + Apply new thermal paste and/or clean out the dust in your desktop.

No.

You need to reseat the CPU + Apply new thermal paste and/or clean out the dust in your desktop.

I don't know how to reseat the CPU.

And you put thermal paste under the heatsink, don't you?

Also, I've cleaned out all the dust from the desktop (including all the fans) but it's still overheating.

I think it's my heatsink is the problem. (Spire 12V)

Also meant to say, I'm looking for a new heatsink (or Liquid CPU Cooler)

Any recommendations on the best option at an reasonably low price?

Preferably something that would work with my current processor/ motherboard, as well as my new one when I upgrade.

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835103099

Just make sure your case has enough room to fit the heatsink in.

A little higher priced, http://www.newegg.co...N82E16835181018

Will both of these work with my current CPU and this one?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.985159

And also Bob, is this the CPU I should upgrade to, and not i7?

The H40 will work with AM2/AM3 boards as well as LGA775, LGA1366, LGA1156, & LGA1155. So yes, it will. The only modern desktop socket it doesn't support is LGA2011--which is far more expensive and the quoted Corsair Hydro H40 would be insufficient for any more than a mild overclock.

Now then, the argument against a Core i7-3770K is usually referring to the fact that it's a $350 CPU, compared to the Core i5-3570K which is "only" $230. Looking at stock performance only, the i7 is faster than the i5 in every situation--but not by very much. It's basically the 100MHz difference between the two--so a roughly 3% difference. Overclocked, both CPUs have very similar potentials (a 3770K is a higher bin than the 3570K, so it's more likely to be a "golden chip"). The difference lies in HyperThreading. Applications that can heavily stress 6 or 8 threads will perform much better on a Core i7. An application that can use all 8 threads can see 30-35% performance gains from Hyperthreading.

Then there's a balance of costs. Looking at CPUs alone, a 3770K costs $120 more--52% more while providing (typically) 3% to (occasionally) 30% performance increases. Considering that Asrock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard, it costs $348 with the i5-3570K and $470 with the i7-3770K. There it's a 35% price increase for the same 3% to 30% gains. Toss in $100 worth of RAM and cooling (say, an 8GB kit and the Corsair Hydro H40) and the difference amounts to a 27% increase in price. Include a graphics card (say, a Radeon HD 7850) and good power supply (say, a Seasonic M12II 520 Bronze) for another $300. Now it's the i5-3570K system costs $748 and the i7-3770K system costs $870. The Core i7 is now 16% more. Toss in $250 worth of storage drives (a pair of 128GB solid-state drives or a single 128GB drive and a 2TB hard drive) and a $50 chassis and a $100 OS license for a final $400 to complete a brand new system. Now the Core i7 is 11% more expensive and still provides 3% to 30% gains.

The Core i7-3770K will still cost $120 more than the i5-3570K, but the impact of that $120 shrinks when you consider the cost of the entire upgrade instead of just the cost of the individual part.

If you run anything that can really utilize >4 threads, grab the Core i7. If you can easily save up another $120 (like saving more of your next paycheck), grab the Core i7. If your budget is the most important thing or you really don't run anything that could benefit from Hyperthreading, don't bother--grab the Core i5 instead since it's doubtful you'll use utilize its main purpose. Just gaming, the Core i7 rarely shows its real benefits.

Edited by Bob-sama