Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bob-sama

All Things Audio [56k? rofl!]

So welcome to All Things Audio--a brief compendium about audioholics on Sal's. We're the crazy SOBs that spend several times your week's allowance on crazy things like loudspeakers, headphones, amplifiers, and better sources. If your setup cost more than about $100 and doesn't include brands like Beats or Bose you might just have to wipe the drool from your chin. And please, whatever you do, don't examine the contents of your wallet or bank account. It's one of the first and least preventable signs of incurable audio addiction.

There are but two new rules in this thread.

1. No trash (like BOSE or Beats)!
  2. Your own pics, or it didn't happen!

So in the spirit of both those rules and to start this thread off right, I'll post my latest piece--fresh out of its box as of a few weeks ago. And as a follow-up, a picture of its home.

dscn0853l.jpgdscn0856m.jpg

Edited by Bob-sama

All I can say? You lucky love-child.

Mine (not my own images)

2008751533130.jpg

290811152151_sonstige_hd598-1.jpg

Portable:

unique-melody-merlin.jpg

Blech!!! Post your own pictures! It's so much better to see equipment in its natural habitat!

Here's something else that's temporarily in my possession:

20120317201225.jpg

20120318215452.jpg

Sorry for the poor image quality--that's what I get for using my new phone instead of my real camera.

Edited by Bob-sama

cba taking pics cause its too much effort this late :P

2psj9ea.jpg

vhym1i.jpg

its a good thing i don't have money to spend otherwise i'd probs be getting an amp and stuff

RH5MA_ProMonitorHeadphones-5f12d3a7513c2b8c4293dabd8ad74a58.jpg

I'd post pics but do you really want webcam quality :P?

Found these finally. I've been using ear buds for the past like six months so it's weird to be using overears now. I can't help but prefer the ear buds D=.

M50s :drool:. If only money grew on trees. I want them so. I wonder if there are any shops near me that would have a pair. I'd love to listen to them before I buy them.

Edited by Sax

I like to think of myself as an audiophile, but I'm very limited in the fact that I have absolutely no source of income. I have a pair of HD600s stored away in my closet because I fear I'll break them, but I bust them out every now and then.

I like to think of myself as an audiophile, but I'm very limited in the fact that I have absolutely no source of income. I have a pair of HD600s stored away in my closet because I fear I'll break them, but I bust them out every now and then.

Don't be so afraid; break em out and enjoy them day in and day out! I've had high-end cans for months and never got close to killing any. Short of sitting on them, you probably won't either. What good are luxuries locked in a closet?

Anyone got experience with tube rolling (pref LD mk III)? One of my todo things in a few months after my amp arrives.

after that, big amp and speakers :D

Edited by Drolleke

I've got these bad boys: s4i-white.jpg

And for my computer I just use 41RajgaA0dL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Question about tube amplifiers. I was reading a thing on reddit about them and people were talking about how tube amps generally have a warmer sound (I know it's that way for guitar amps so yea makes sense). People were saying that that's not always a good thing, since you want proper sound replication out of your sound equipment rather than any distortion.

Thoughts?

I've got these bad boys: <snip>

And for my computer I just use <snip>

Question about tube amplifiers. I was reading a thing on reddit about them and people were talking about how tube amps generally have a warmer sound (I know it's that way for guitar amps so yea makes sense). People were saying that that's not always a good thing, since you want proper sound replication out of your sound equipment rather than any distortion.

Thoughts?

They forget about feedback issues--which can be very pronounced with a poorly designed SS circuit. A properly designed SS circuit SHOULD trample a valve-based circuit but, even then, the methods used to accomplish common goals differ wildly. The vacuum tubes induce distortions on their own, but some tubes also eliminate undesirable high-order harmonics from circuit design issues. Science can explain what can be easily measured--but it's tougher to measure distortion since not all distortion is equal. In effect, more information is better--but vacuum tubes still aren't 100% solved or replaced. Just like vinyl, there's an ongoing resurgence in vacuum tubes. Old factories have been reopening and NOS is yet to run out--instead, new Russian and Chinese tubes are being produced. Some of them are as good or better than NOS tubes.

Oh, and post your own pictures of your equipment!

Edited by Bob-sama

Here are some pics: http://imgur.com/a/sPhho

My Foobar2000 layout, dacmagic front and back, some DT 880 shots.

Really can't wait for my amp.

Also @ above, tubes are way more fun than ss :P

You're going to love your Little Dot MK III; if you don't, don't rush to return it. Try to figure out what you don't like and start rolling tubes. Driver tubes are the big thing--I'm personally thinking of getting a pair of Mullard CV401's to replace my 6H60Pi's.

The DacMagic Plus is definitely more DAC than amp. The DAC section is excellent but I'm not so hot about the headphone output. Not truly an afterthought, but it's under-representing the DAC's potential. I think I prefer the second filter--Minimum Phase sounds better to my ears than Linear Phase or Steep. I've not tried the USB input yet--I've been listening via Toslink & ASIO4All.

Anyways, here's my Foo2k:

77700978.png

The artist count is understated; I'm integrating a second library into my own. I don't like all their music and their folder structureis different from mine. Mine follows a basic system.

[Album Artist]\([Year]) [Album]\[CD#].[Tr##] [Title]

Edited by Bob-sama

The artist count is understated; I'm integrating a second library into my own. I don't like all their music and their folder structureis different from mine. Mine follows a basic system.

[Album Artist]\([Year]) [Album]\[CD#].[Tr##] [Title]

Mediamonkey gold can restructure the folders automatically. I used it to clean my /music/ folder to Artist/Album/(Disc)/Tnr.Title

I got the Dacmagic because it has so many input/output options, so I probably wont have to replace when/if I change my setup.

And its a good DAC ofcourse.

Edited by Drolleke

dbPowerAmp's CD ripper typically gets the extended date format. The batch converter can also organize file based on their tags. Foobar can tag stuff based on their folder structure. The problem is not everything is perfectly done; most of my early rips lack the full date while most of my conversions and 3rd party sources are inconsistent in tags or file structures.

Anyways, this DacMagic's relatively weak when driving the DT 880-600's. I'm up at max volume and bass is anemic for the entire range. The DacMagic does reasonably well, but it's quite power-limited. It's a good DAC but I'd prefer my own setup's separates. I sure won't miss the amp (at least with these Beyers), but I must revise my prior statement. It's not a $400 DAC and $200 amp--more like a $500 DAC and $100 amp. I also hate the volume control--there's no feedback and no indicator (except for the source light blinking at max and min). My only other complaint applies to many pieces of equipment (including my LD DAC_I & MK IV)--I hate the damn blue LEDs. They don't even use good LED diffusers. At least on the Little Dots, the only blue LEDs were power LEDs--but the DacMagic's LEDs signify the source, filter, and incoming sample rate.

So given a choice, I'd naturally combine this amp with my DAC (and see about putting engineer's tape covers over the LEDs). But as an all-in-one, it's not a great combination. As a DAC/Amp, it can make your ears bleed on a loud recording a good recording leaves it lacking. As a pure DAC, it's much better.

Just as a note, I haven't tried it in preamp mode. The manual makes it clear that this is a DAC first and foremost, as it should be. I do question why they even included the HP amp or pre-out option, instead of putting their money to an even better DAC.

Edited by Bob-sama

Aww yeaa, amp finally arrived :D

http://imgur.com/a/JlqqM

Sound is amazing, I wonder how it will sound fully burned in.

They gave me the wrong plug :P UK instead of standard EU. Good thing I have plenty spare.

We're an impressionable group. So far, what are yours?

Edited by Bob-sama

So far, good. Ofcourse much better than normal line out from my computer :P

So much more detail in the sound, I can hear tiny things in some tracks now, like a cough on the guitar track, revealing a loop etc :)

Soundstage is also incredible, as advertised.

A bit too much highs when I first got it, but its better now, not nearly as sharp.

The only thing potato is pototally potato me atm is how tight the headphpotatos are. I have to adjust them every now and then because it just get a bit uncomfortable. Hopefully they'll stretch over time.

I also notice some RF interference, from some unpotaton source, but its hardly noticeable with cookbook playing. I can also hear the occasional Cling sound if I'm nto playing anything, coming from the driver tubes when they expand/contract from the heat.