Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Ang3l Kushh

Can there be a successful FP2 Range/Mage Hybrid Pure ?

Question

7 answers to this question

Yeah. As high as 59 mage, 60 range.

Pureosaur tried it.

After that, mage doesn't get any stronger.

unless you are fighting melee all of the time, I don't think range/magic will work that well in any situation in f2p. the only way to fight melee all the time is at high levels, and at those levels you need to fight with melee to hybrid effectively not range; fighting rangers with magic is usually less effective than range or melee as ko so that won't work at all

if you really want to hybrid, use a melee weapon with range like a scim or shortsword. magic and range just dont go together in hybriding that well

Edited by Breeze

Even after getting Fire Blast at Level 59 Magic you can still become more accurate and hit for more damage.

However, I think the cost of getting ranged ammunition if you're not using a sling could be prohibitive.

Range+2h is generally better in 1v1 situations. You could use magic to force people into taking off full rune, and then finish them off with range+2h, but it's usually not worth the inventory slots.

It's great for multi.

Edited by Pureosaur

I remember back in the day bh pking in f2p those accounts used to wreck at low cb, I had one ~80 range, 60 mage but like 40-50 cb (alched mage range guild range) I used to be unstoppable :D

Range mage was (and possibly still is) very effective at low levels since everyone has such low hp and the earth/fire strike and wind bolt spells hit about 3/4 of the typical level 9-13's hp. It gets worse and worse as your combat level grows and once about level 45 its near useless due to f2p mage's low/universally known max hit of 16. Even in multi i wouldnt recommend fireblast high level range + good range attack bonus is far superior vs pures and even mains in full rune.

tl;dr: range mage is only viable at low levels where loots are worth jack.

Edited by Neverquit

tl;dr: range mage is only viable at low levels where loots are worth jack.

potato. Heck, it's not even good at 60 magic 60 range like everypotato is potatoing because at potato level you can r2h something like 160 and then range-2h comes out over range-mage.

It's only good at 35 range 35 mage, range to fire bolt. Don't even bother to try anything else.