Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
felinoel

Turned off on its own, won't turn back on, red light was flashing earlier (UNSOLVED)

So I finally got the new part I needed and turned my computer on to find this issue, so I left it on so I could go right back to it once I found out whether or not I should continue with the driver installations.

When I get back home though the computer was off and won't turn back on... a light on the front was flashing red which I figured meant that the motherboard just needed its drivers installed... right? So I didn't worry about it, now all it does when I turn it on is have the power on light flash on then off... I guess I can take it back to the Geek Squad in the morning... any thoughts as to what is wrong with it?

Edited by felinoel

Why do I get the feeling that your PSU is causing problems and frying equipment? Mobos generally don't just fry on their own.

Why do I get the feeling that your PSU is causing problems and frying equipment? Mobos generally don't just fry on their own.

My old one was due to a power surge but I got a new one and this just came out of the box.

Also hey, do you know what happened to my post count? When did Sals get ANOTHER new message board?

Edited by felinoel

My old one was due to a power surge but I got a new one and this just came out of the box.

Also hey, do you know what happened to my post count? When did Sals get ANOTHER new message board?

If the mobo died from the power surge then perhaps the PSU was damaged too?

Forums were updated a couple months ago. Some people lost some post count for some reason that I don't know.

If the mobo died from the power surge then perhaps the PSU was damaged too?

Forums were updated a couple months ago. Some people lost some post count for some reason that I don't know.

Yes, that was why I replaced the PSU?

EDIT: Oh I see, you thought I meant I replaced just the mobo, no I replaced both... and the ram, and the processor, and the graphics card.

Aww, can I get it back? Why do they keep getting new ones?

Edited by felinoel

Okay I gotcha. Does anything power on? Maybe the CPU isn't properly seated, though if you're not even getting power to fans then I think it is more of a psu problem.

And nope. These new ones are better. :P

Okay I gotcha. Does anything power on? Maybe the CPU isn't properly seated, though if you're not even getting power to fans then I think it is more of a psu problem.

And nope. These new ones are better. :P

When I turn it on the power light flashes on then off, nothing else, the processor fan jiggles a bit though.

Everytime they switch to new message boards at least some people lose post counts, though if I recall the time before this everyone lose their post counts.

I removed the POS almost half a decade out of date video card and it is running again! But... with the red light again, though now it is more often solid than flashing... think it is the power supply maybe?

The video card and HDD are the only things I have never updated since I started the original computer build.

Edited by felinoel

Or could the red flashes be just from the drivers needing to be installed?

Edited by felinoel

Or should I run Microsoft Fix It?

Maybe it is a malware issue?

Look in the manual if there are any light codes for errors.

I've heard this but never understood it, guess I will check the manual then.

Edit:

Yea I'm looking through the manual and am still not finding anything on error lights...

Also I found an online version, am I just overlooking the section on this?

http://www.foxconnch...ual-En-V1.0.zip

Edited by felinoel

Everytime they switch to new message boards at least some people lose post counts, though if I recall the time before this everyone lose their post counts.

I'd just like to add that if you click on your profile, it shows you have 294 posts there, so it's all good ;)

Oh and don't worry, you're in good hands (redmonke) :)

Page 35. See which one is yours.

Internal Graphics Config

Internal Graphics Configuration

Internal Graphics Mode

UMA Frame Buffer Size

Primary Video Controller

Surround View

Help Item

Options

[Enabled]

[128MB]

[PCI-GFXO-IGFX] Disabled

[Disabled] Enabled

↑↓←→:Move Enter:Select

F1:General Help

+/-/:Value F10:Save

ESC:Exit

F9:Optimized Defaults

► Internal Graphics Mode

Enable/Disable the integrated UMA graphics controller.

► UMA Frame Buffer Size

Allocates system memory for use as video memory to ensure the most efficient use of

available resources for maximum 2D/3D graphics performance.

This is a memory allocation method addition to the Unified Memory Architecture (UMA)

concept, wherein a static amount of page-locked graphics memory is allocated during driver

initialization. This fixed amount of memory will provide the user with a guaranteed graphics

memory at all times, and will no longer be available to the OS.

► Primary Video Controller

This item is used to select which graphics controller is used as the primary boot device.

► Surround View

Surround View is the ATI technology that provides multi-graphics controller display capability

for both the ATI PCIe-based graphics card and the ATI integrated graphics processor (IGP).

Enabling SurroundView does not impact display modes (resolution and color depth) or perfor-

mance. The display mode of each output is controlled independently by the graphics controller

connected to it.

1. When using a non-ATI PCI Express (PCIe) graphics card, Surround View is not supported.

The integrated graphics processor (IGP) is automatically disabled, and the system memory

allocated to the IGP is freed for other use.

2. PCIe graphics card is the default first display device. Enabling SurroundView in the BIOS

enables the integrated UMA graphics controller, which in turn makes available up to two

additional graphics outputs. When enabling the integrated UMA graphics controller, system

memory will be reallocated.

Page 35? Are we looking at the same thing?

I'd just like to add that if you click on your profile, it shows you have 294 posts there, so it's all good ;)

Oh and don't worry, you're in good hands (redmonke) :)

294 posts certainly doesn't sound right..?

System Status

Power LED Status

Stop Blinking Condition

Normal Always On Always On

No Memory Continue blinking On (1sec.), Off (1sec.) Reboot & Memory OK

No Display Continue blinking On (2sec.), Off (2sec.) Reboot & Display OK

Post Error Message Quick blinking twice (1/3sec. On, 1/3sec. Off), Enter Setup or Skip

one long On (1sec.), continuously.

No CPU Fan Continue blinking On (1/2sec.), Off (1/2sec.) Reboot & Fan OK

I see, but is it the power LED that is blinking here? Wouldn't the power LED be the thing that is circling the power button?

If it is this, then I guess... maybe it is no memory? Or maybe post error message?

System Status

Power LED Status

Stop Blinking Condition

Post Error Message Quick blinking twice (1/3sec. On, 1/3sec. Off), Enter Setup or Skip

I see, but is it the power LED that is blinking here? Wouldn't the power LED be the thing that is circling the power button?

If it is this, then I guess... maybe it is no memory? Or maybe post error message?

No, the manual says it's the mother board's LED (just read that page :P). I don't know how fast it's blinking so I can't really say...

System Status

Power LED Status

Stop Blinking Condition

No, the manual says it's the mother board's LED (just read that page :P). I don't know how fast it's blinking so I can't really say...

Based on how fast it is blinking it could be either of those... but it seems more likely like it looks like a post error message, what does that mean?

A POST error message would show up on the screen if you had one.

Then it must be memory..?

Maybe, try using one stick in a certain slot and if it boots then you know which is toast.

But... it boots fine, it just randomly shut off for some reason