Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Bob-sama

If I Had $640M (Before Taxes), I Would...

So MegaMillions has their biggest jackpot ever. If you and you alone won that jackpot, how would you spend it? Why would you buy what you did? No need to spend every penny of it.

First things first, I'd buy myself a new car. Nothing flashy--just a Ford Focus Titanium. The key is to be low-key--to prevent neighbors from thinking I've suddenly became an extravagant spender.

Second, I'd buy an extravagant Manhattan penthouse. A helipad is a must and a rooftop pool would be a big plus. I'd forgo the professional designers and instead have bespoke furniture made to my specifications.

Third, I'd buy a hundred or more acres of undeveloped land somewhere within 100 miles of my new penthouse. I'd first build a private helipad, runway & hanger (the hanger with enough space for about 6 airplanes or helicopters). Then I'd build myself a unique house--not just another McMansion. For that, I'd get professional advice.

Next, I'd buy a few more cars and a small airplane. The point would be to learn how to fly and achieve various certifications, including for IFR, multiple engines, small jets, and helicopters. After achieving each major certification, I'd look to buy such a craft for my own use. I'd want a small bush plane (Zenith STOL CH 801), a twin-engine prop (Piper Seneca V), a small jet (Cessna CitationJet), and helicopter (Bell 407).

Fifth and finally, I'd buy a Miami penthouse. The rest would be invested in real estate and corporate securities. I'd consider opening my own mutual fund and hiring analysts and accountants--taking 1% of the fund's value until I retire. I'd of course invest a large portion (10-20%) of my estate in that fund--the rest would be professionally managed in REITs, other funds, indexed to DOW/NASDAQ, and indexed to various commodities.

First things first, I'd buy myself a new car. Nothing flashy--just a Ford Focus Titanium. The key is to be low-key--to prevent neighbors from thinking I've suddenly became an extravagant spender.
I'd buy myself a new place where I wouldn't have to deal with neighbors and I've already got a strong enough opinion that I don't give a fudge what my neighbors think about me so money is just going to make me more of a love-child.

I'd buy a nice house and keep the rest in interest. With the kind of interest you'd make from that amount of money, you'd have an extravagant amount of money to spend every month just on interest. That's money that you aren't losing, you wont spend it all and go mental if you've already got a steady amount of money.

I'd make my life boring, it would be that good.

First, I would call all the schools I'm applying to and tell them they can suck my left nut.

Afterwards, I would buy a large house for my parents to live in. Nothing decadent as they hate that, but a decent piece of property with everything they need. Since I'm a minor I wouldn't buy a house for myself as I don't need it yet. I'd also buy cars for them and leave them with enough money to never have to work again for the rest of their lives.

For myself, I'd buy a nice sports car that I could drive every day, not a supercar as driving such a thing just around town is a waste and the interstate has a speed limit. I'd also buy a yacht and a couple of speedboats, as well as leaving, say, $10 million to use for day-to-day expenses and whatever comes up.

The rest I would invest to spend when I'm older and living on my own. I'd probably also start a business of some sort as doing nothing can be awfully boring.

When I'm older (25+), I'll buy a Cessna, get a pilot's license, rent a jet trainer to learn to fly jets and then purchase an F-15D from AMARG for leisure flying (or import a MiG-29UB if they don't let me have an F-15) as well as a Learjet 45 for traveling. Aside from that, I'd be tempted to pay $30M for a Soyuz trip to the International Space Station.

I think it would be possible to fit all of the above into $100 million, sans the trip to the ISS. The F-15 would cost $30M plus maybe $10M for the supporting equipment, the Learjet would be about $11.5M. The rest of the expenses should fit within the remaining $50M.

Quite frankly, I wouldn't know what to do with all that money.

Also I'd buy a few politicians to represent me in Congress.

Edit: As for more goosedownish things to do, I'd buy the mortgage contracts that belong to people i hated in high school, then hike up the interest rates and foreclose when they can't pay them.

Edited by theking1322

I don't know if I'd ever want that much. I'd feel obliged to give money to everybody I know, however I wouldn't want to give anyone money because I'd feel like I was leaving somebody out.

Although I'd probably pay all my friends University fees for them and give them a few grand to live off during university.

Give my Gran and Grandad a couple of million to do what they like.

Give 10% to both my Mums household and my Dad's household to do what they will (new houses). My Dad would probably set up a new business.

Buy myself a house near to the university I want to go to.

Save 30% to give to charities, though I wouldn't know which to give it to so I'd just put it aside for future use.

Buy a property abroad (Canada probably).

I'd actually like to fund a new political party who I think would actually make a positive change to England (though I'm terrible at Politics :P).

That's without thinking too much about it. I'd probably have lots left over so the charity pot would probably be a lot bigger.

edit: I'd also like to try a hand at running a few businesses to see if I could turn profit such as owning a Hotel or a cafe. So I think if I had lots of money left over I'd try my hand at that :D.

Edited by Gonzyy

I'd build myself an amazing studio in a $50 million dollar home and then put the rest into savings.

Start an airline and buy a DeLorean. Then throw the rest into the bank for some nice interest.

First thing I would do would be to change my identity cause you never know what someone would do for that much money.

• Build the worlds biggest paintball course.
  • Build my own amusement park.
  • Donate money to charity (when I mean charity, I mean donating to science so they can find cures for diseases, and probably donate a bit to NASA) and give enough to my parents and grandparents that they can retire happily.
  • Invest 100m just so I can keep acquiring currency.
  • Start my own business (preferably a computer shop) because that's always being a dream of mine.
  • Travel the world.

And so many more awesome things.

Edited by O hai im KAMIL

I would buy $640 million worth of lottery tickets.

Hmm discussed this over dinner with the family. A few other things... I'd forgo the private jet and instead join a jet charter. I'd still learn how to fly one but my focus might be on helicopters and smaller airplanes. One thing I'm sure I wouldn't do is donate to charity--and, if I did, it'd be anonymously to specific organizations I'm familiar with. I'd probably hire an identity management firm to sort my mail and arrange unlisted phone numbers and the like. I'd have to retain a tax accountant, a few lawyers, and probably a bodyguard.

So on second thought (since I now have 1:17.6M odds of hitting the jackpot), I'd probably forgo the private jet--at least for now. I'd instead join a private jet charter--have them take care of all the details between my front door and my final destination. I'd also add a few nicer cars to the list--starting slow with a new Mustang GT before advancing to faster cars.

$640M before taxes?

AKA $640.

I'd buy a new phone.

$640M before taxes?

AKA $640.

I'd buy a new phone.

You'd see $390M-450M after taxes--the Federal rate is 25% and my State's rate is 9%. :( Even so, I won't cry over that--a NY winner would walk away with about $400M.

Still a massive drop :P

I suppose I'd just pay off the house I currently lived in, and save the rest - my car is some 9 years old, needs replacing... I could get a slightly more up-market car when I did replace it.

Though a personal range and airfield would be awesome.

Eh--eat the loss. Do hire some professional tax accountants to ensure you pay the least amount possible--a smart winner would invest and simply pay capital gains tax. Anyways, I'm ready to win! My numbers (let's hope one of them is a winner!)

02 04 06 08 18 + 23

03 04 12 53 54 + 10

07 17 23 28 42 + 42

08 13 27 28 49 + 11

09 11 22 32 42 + 44

09 12 17 19 54 + 10

13 19 28 33 45 + 34

13 28 33 54 56 + 30

15 22 30 51 54 + 13

18 21 27 29 43 + 43

And, if my sister actually bought the ticket I asked her for, 12 13 35 41 46 + 17 Only 2 hours until I find out that I wasted $11. :P

Edited by Bob-sama

Start a private family business which would just be buying up large amounts of properties and just renting them out (not as an entire serious thing, but to provide a small income that could be dedicated to other projects). Invest in small businesses as a way of giving back to the community, rather than profit focussed. Offer job opportunities to friends and family. Start a side business that's IT/Digital Design focussed and run it with my friends. Sponsor local teams, especially the Crusaders (rugby team) under either business names. Donate to local clubs etc, and buy up a block or so to donate to my school. Give 5% to my parents and 2.5% to each of my brothers, as well as 1% to my grandparents. Buy a few properties to demolish and rebuild as one so I can have an extravagant mansion/house with an incredible man-cave, as well as a music room that would have exclusive band memorabilia and a large of collection of instruments. Indoor pool as well. I'd also buy like a normal house or something and spend some time living like a regular guy.

I'd also invest seriously as a way of providing proper income so I don't completely burn through my winnings. Then I'd probably spend the rest of my life travelling the world and doing amazing things like completing my bucket list, as well as following tours of my favourite bands and sporting events.

-buy some big house in florida

-buy a bugatti veyron and every type of lamborghini

-buy a private plane and yacht

-probably buy jimi hendrix's guitar or something idk

-spend the rest of my money on coke and lsd

Oh yeah, cars. I'd probably get my motorcycle license and a handful of different bikes. I'm not much of a petrol-head, but I'd definitely get a collection of different ones. Probably a Ferrari, Rolls Royce and a bunch of saloon cars (idk I just like that type of car).

Hmm--a few smaller things to buy.

1. Very powerful servers (one per generation) for full-time World Community Grid duty--with the goal to have global #1 machines. Right now, a 2P Xeon E5-2687W setup would be great.
  2. A crunching farm with cheaper hardware--with the goal to be the global #1 (private) user. Right now, a few dozen Core i7-2600K setups would suffice.
  3. Various cars including a Mustang GT convertible for Miami and a hard-top version for the Northeast. I'd probably consider an SUV and a fast sedan. Maybe a Taurus SHO or preferably a Cadillac CTS-V.
  4. I'd definitely need a new wardrobe including bespoke outer-, business-, & formal-wear. A personal shopper and a tailor would be great.
  5. A cool audio system would be excellent: a McIntosh reference system would be overkill so I'd probably settle for some "lesser" components with B&W 800 Diamond loudspeakers. Still, I'd audition many options before deciding on my favorites.
  6. I'd probably hire a maid (to clean and prepare lunch) and a part-time chef (to prepare supper).

Anyways, in reality, I won $10. I'm only $1 down now. The final numbers were 02 04 23 38 46 + 23 -- I matched 2+1 (02 04 06 08 18 + 23). I picked those myself with my awesometastic method. Let's hope nobody picked the jackpot numbers so we can try again for Tuesday (an estimated $950M drawing or, if a winner is selected, perhaps a $200M+ restart).

Edited by Bob-sama

I would pay off my parents mortgage and completely fund their retirement.

Pay off my college costs, and the cost for my siblings.

Buy a 04 Terminator Cobra, and a 69 Fastback Mustang. I would buy a house and then probably invest the rest. I would just spend it gradually as I grew older. I've never really been the time to splurge.

I would finish getting my degree just because it's something I want to accomplish. Then I would probably travel, and I might pick up a part time job just so I don't drive myself crazy.

An estimated $1.5 billion in tickets were sold, so looks like the company has made a nice profit. Will be interesting to see if anyone has actually won it.

An estimated $1.5 billion in tickets were sold, so looks like the company has made a nice profit. Will be interesting to see if anyone has actually won it.

Not really a company per-se. It's a government ran lottery.

The money that isn't handed out in winnings is given back to schools.

Edited by Emo Nemo