Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Jethraw

Laptop Advice, Please?

I'm looking at purchasing a new laptop, for going away to uni and just because I plain old need it :P

I'm looking at one on Argos, which is ideal because it gives me four months to pay it off using my mum's Argos card.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5086926.htm

Opinions on this laptop would be appreciated, or alternatives of a similar price range.

The laptop isn't bad overall. 750GB Hard Drive, 6GB Ram... 2.2Ghz is a bit sluggish but it's not too bad for a laptop. It will do the standard job of going on the internet etc. The webcam is terrible, 0.3MP? If you aren't too fussed about that, I don't see much else wrong with it.

-gazisere ^_^

This may be another total noob question, and I appreciate your help :P

Looking at the Q&A Section of the website, in relation to the graphics card:

I have checked and can confirm that this laptop features shared Intel HD graphics (up to 1.92 GB total memory).

Is this any good? :P

The laptop isn't bad overall. 750GB Hard Drive, 6GB Ram... 2.2Ghz is a bit sluggish but it's not too bad for a laptop. It will do the standard job of going on the internet etc. The webcam is terrible, 0.3MP? If you aren't too fussed about that, I don't see much else wrong with it.

-gazisere ^_^

0.3MP is 640x480 pixels which is I think perfectly fine for things such as Skype although it's not going to be SLR quality. Sometimes the lower the MP the better as it's going to be insanely faster...

This may be another total noob question, and I appreciate your help :P

Looking at the Q&A Section of the website, in relation to the graphics card:

I have checked and can confirm that this laptop features shared Intel HD graphics (up to 1.92 GB total memory).

Is this any good? :P

Don't expect to play anything more demanding than runescape with that card.

Would it be worth/possible to buy a better graphics card?

How much would I be looking at?

Sorry for the 20 questions, I'm just completely technophobic.

1. Don't get this laptop. I have a Core 2 Duo (The one on that latptop is Pentium dual core), and it is fairly similar, and I would strongly suggest not getting it, but maybe waiting a month or two until intel's Ivy Bridge CPUs come out, and prices will lower for current gen i3 and i5 mobile CPUs. Trust me, that CPU is already outclassed by NVIDIA's Tegra 3.

2. No, on laptops you cannot upgrade the graphics card. Usually the GPUs are sautered onto the motherboard, and Intel's graphcis are integrated with the CPU. In short, just no. I live in the US and am not really sure about conversion rates, but an approximate budget would help.

~Vincent

You can't purchase a new graphics card for a laptop.

I'll look through that site and see what's good around that price range.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5071742/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/2%7C14418968%7CLaptops+and+netbooks%7C14419039/c_3/3%7Ccat_14419039%7CLaptops%7C14419040.htm#pdpFullProductInformation

That's your best bet as far as I can see. Dedicated card that's at least decent and allows you to play games on low. 3D screen is a huge plus. Processor is kind of old but eh I feel it would balance out.

Though your other best bet would be this:

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5084870/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%2C+PCs+and+phones%7C14418968/c_2/2%7C14418968%7CLaptops+and+netbooks%7C14419039/c_3/3%7Ccat_14419039%7CLaptops%7C14419040.htm

i5, which is a much much better processor and almost equal graphics card (might perform slightly less though I think the CPU would help make up for it). Also has a larger hard drive.

Your call.

Edited by Pale Blue Dot

Thanks for the help, all of you, I really, really appreciate it! Absolutely clueless I am.

Both of those look like suitable alternatives. The one think I noticed in both is they have 2GB less RAM and a smaller hard drive (considerably), is this necessarily a bad thing? Or am I missing the point altogether?

Of the two there, I think I'd probably go for the second one. And as for budgets, I'd guesstimate $500?

Edited by Jethraw

4GB is fine for you. I lasted a long time with 4GB and I only needed to upgrade to 8GB because of BF3 and Adobe After Effects.

My laptop has a 500GB HDD and it's good enough. I never find myself running out of space and I download shizzle tons of movies and games. As long as you delete old things or move them somewhere else after a while you should be fine.

And personally I would go for the second one I posted.

Edited by Pale Blue Dot

Okay, that seems to be more or less perfect then thanks a lot, I'll let you know if I go for that, a family friend is going to check them out for me tomorrow :)

If you're interested in the benchmarks of that graphics cards and how it plays certain games you can see it here:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/NVIDIA-GeForce-310M.22439.0.html

Versus the Intel GMA on the originally posted laptop:

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Intel-HD-Graphics-2000-100.37994.0.html

1. Don't get this laptop. I have a Core 2 Duo (The one on that latptop is Pentium dual core), and it is fairly similar, and I would strongly suggest not getting it, but maybe waiting a month or two until intel's Ivy Bridge CPUs come out, and prices will lower for current gen i3 and i5 mobile CPUs. Trust me, that CPU is already outclassed by NVIDIA's Tegra 3.

2. No, on laptops you cannot upgrade the graphics card. Usually the GPUs are sautered onto the motherboard, and Intel's graphcis are integrated with the CPU. In short, just no. I live in the US and am not really sure about conversion rates, but an approximate budget would help.

~Vincent

WTH is sautering? If you mean soldering, you're missing the scope of Intel's recent IGPs. They're not soldered to the motherboard--they're part of the CPU package. Literally. One die--which includes the CPU & IGP. So far as I can tell, the CPU in question is a Pentium B960 (2.2GHz Sandy Bridge dual-core)--which isn't bad but it's not that fast. For web and light or CPU-intensive gaming (Runescape, Civilization 4, casual games), you'll be pretty well set. Still, at that price-point, an AMD A6-series APU (which combines a slower CPU & faster IGP). The same goes for any Intel solution without a dedicated GPU (and many solutions with a low-end dedicated GPU).

http://www.argos.co....ps|14419040.htm

That one has a better CPU. While clocked the same, its IGP is a bit more powerful--though still insufficient in most gaming. It also adds Hyperthreading, which can boost performance significantly in certain applications.

Another good option is below. It's more expensive but it's got a half-decent graphics card--it'll still be slow (in my opinion) but much better than others.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/5072624/c_1/1|category_root|Office%2C+PCs+and+phones|14418968/c_2/2|14418968|Laptops+and+netbooks|14419039/c_3/3|cat_14419039|Laptops|14419040.htm

Edited by Bob-sama

The GMA series does not share a die afaik. Especially not the one he's talking about. I'm on my phone so I can't double check but I believe it's just a straight pentium dual core, which is like three generations old. I think sandy bridge started sharing dies but this isn't SB.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

The GMA series does not share a die afaik. Especially not the one he's talking about. I'm on my phone so I can't double check but I believe it's just a straight pentium dual core, which is like three generations old. I think sandy bridge started sharing dies but this isn't SB.

Correct me if I'm wrong.

All Intel HD is integrated onto the CPU die. And from what I can tell, this IS Sandy Bridge. It's most likely a Pentium B960. That's judging the "G6 B960" moniker and comparing notes--seeing that said Pentium B960 CPU is clocked at 2.2GHz. Pentium T4400--the prior Pentium at 2.2GHz--is an old Penryn CPU. Arrandale (last-gen) wasn't available at 2.2GHz (instead 2.0, 2.13, & 2.27GHz).

BTW: I would NOT recommend either of the two that you recommended in post #8. That site is a PITA, though.

Edited by Bob-sama

I was unaware that they still made Pentium processors under Sandy Bridge. My bad.

Yea now I'm a little conflicted. Honestly either the OP or the second one I posted would work. The site has a shizzlety selection but out of what I could find.The first one you posted I would stay away from since I've dealt with the Intel GMA 3000 and it's shizzle. Even the 4500 is terrible, the new Intel GMA HD ones are somewhat passable for very light gaming.

Though the second one your posted is the best in the topic, albeit a little more expensive.

Erm what? I posted an Acer 5749 (Core i3-2330M) for £380 & an HP DV6 (Core i5-2410M & HD6490M) for £550. Both are current-generation laptops.

You posted an Acer Aspire 3D (Pentium T4400 & HD4570M) for £385 & an MSI FX600-MX (Core i5-460M & GT310M) for £450. Both are past-generation laptops.

Edited by Bob-sama

Erm what? I posted an Acer 5749 (Core i3-2330M) for £380 & an HP DV6 (Core i5-2410M & HD6490M) for £550. Both are current-generation laptops.

You posted an Acer Aspire 3D (Pentium T4400 & HD4570M) for £385 & an MSI FX600-MX (Core i5-460M & GT310M) for £450. Both are past-generation laptops.

The first one is has a current gen cpu with a terrible gpu.

In my opinion I'd much rather have a previous gen laptop that performs better.

The Pentium T4400 is a POS with a practically ancient CPU and terrible GPU. The second is a last-gen CPU and last-gen GPU. For £380, I'd seriously give that Acer 5749 a good look. It can do basic gaming--but don't expect the world. The HP DV6, while more expensive, is a far better laptop. More expensive, yes, but much faster.