Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
cash money95

Need a Little Help on Minecraft

Ok so I am in the process of this building, which I'm planning to have surrounded by water 3 blocks high all the way around, and then another wall around the water. Kind of like a moat. Basically, I have no idea how to fill up the moat so that it is completely filled and flat at the top for the 3 blocks high. Could someone please explain how this would work?

For clarification, here's basically the plan:

96044206.png

I want the water to be filled to the top of the surrounding land, 3 blocks high, in a full, completely even layer.

Thanks for any help. :)

To make the moat completely filled with water without anything flowing, you'll need to do a little more work than just placing the water. Water will normally flow in some direction unless it is placed directly on top of a block. So while you're making your moat, dig it all out, but only one block down. Then fill everything with water (note: if you're not in creative mode, you can obtain infinite water by making a little 2x2 pool of it. Every time you bucket one of the water sources from the pool, it will fill back up again, thus giving you infinite water). After it's all filled and the water isn't flowing, dig the remaining two layers of your moat. It will remain flat after this, and you're done.

Edited by Guitarguy

One disadvantage, I may point out, of Guitarguy's suggestion (which is to my knowledge the only way to do it :blink:) is that the bottom 2 blocks will be flowing down which is only noticeable when trying to swim up. But regardless it is probably your best option.

One disadvantage, I may point out, of Guitarguy's suggestion (which is to my knowledge the only way to do it :blink:) is that the bottom 2 blocks will be flowing down which is only noticeable when trying to swim up. But regardless it is probably your best option.

This can also be fixed without mods/singleplayercommands. I had to do it when making a pool of water on Salscraft that could absorb a fall from the top of the map, since I always hate swimming up downwards-flowing water.

Basically, as my pool was 3x3 if I recall (people have since expanded it without first asking me :blink:), I placed a column of blocks against one of the walls. I filled the bottom of the pool first, as this was easy. Then I made the mistake of filling all the way to the top (the pool was 4 deep, I think?) in one column, and moved on to the next, etc., and then removing the column of blocks and putting water in its place.

This left me nearly drowning several times, as the water from the columns flowed outwards, so I don't recommend doing this.

Instead, in hindsight, I recommend the following steps:

1. Decide the exact measurements of your pool/moat. This will save a lot of time and headache. I am assuming you are digging it into existing material.
  2. For your planned pool, are there any blocks which are not touching a wall? If your pool is only 2 blocks wide at all parts, then the answer is no*. If you answered no, then dig out your entire pool, and skip to the part about filling your pool. Otherwise proceed to step 3.
  3. Because you can't place water onto water, you need something you can place each water block against. For the edges of your pool, the walls will work fine for this - what you have to worry about is any part that isn't touching a wall. First dig out some columns which will not have walls next to them - dig out as many as you like, but only as long as each column is touching a wall once you are done digging. Fill these with water (see the section on filling your pool).
  4. Now, you may dig out around the columns of water you have - make sure each new column also still has a wall next to it once you are done digging. Fill in this new space as well. If you were doing a 4-block-wide pool, then you would be finished with this step. If not, then repeat this step enough times until your pool is finished.

Scratch that; I found a better way
:P

3. Dig out all parts of your pool which
will
be touching walls. Fill them up (see section on filling your pool).

4. Now, start digging out the areas you did not fill. Begin at the corners, and make sure that, as you dig, each block is automatically becoming a source block. This should happen if there are at least 2 source blocks at the same layer touching it, and it has a solid block beneath it. Once you are done digging out, everything should be source blocks, without you even grabbing your bucket :D

Note that the crossed-out version above can still be used if you are making a very deep pool in survival - otherwise you would be extremely slow digging underwater. This should not be an issue for pools up to 3 blocks deep.

As far as filling your pool, there are a few ways you can go about doing it:

• You can fill in the bottom layer of water first - this is often the easiest because you can leave gaps and they will usually fill themselves in (and if they don't, fix it before moving to the next layer :P). For all other layers, place a source block in each space - you cannot leave gaps. Using this method, you would fill the bottom layer, then the layer above it, and so on, until you reach the top. This method may be time-consuming on large areas to fill, but it is also your best bet if you are working on a deep pool in survival (as you can avoid the near-drowning issue I mentioned :P)
  • You can fill each column at a time, from bottom to top. This may get tricky when water starts flowing, but if you are in creative mode or the pool is shallow (as is your case), then this method will likely be faster (less time spent walking/swimming around). Note that if you are not in creative mode, you should not be inside the pool when filling it if you use this method; that will likely slow you down and also make you have to watch your breath. If you are in creative mode, it's ok to be in the pool, but you should fly above the water to avoid wasting time.

*If you've got a 2-block-wide moat, rather than a 2-block-wide pool, then there will actually be one column at the inside of each corner which is touching no walls. Therefore, even with a 2-wide moat, proceed to step 3.

EDIT: A picture to illustrate the concept in steps 3-4.

Green is surrounding land (or whatever you're digging into). Brown is the area you want to make into a pool - you have not dug it out yet. Blue is where you have already dug and filled with water.

Step 3 is the 2nd set of images. The remaining images show the process of Step 4. Note that I started out in an outer corner at each one, so that all blocks removed would become sources.

fillingareasscaled.png

Edited by WolfieMario

How wide is the moat?

The moat is like 150+ x like 100 maybe. Minus the part in the middle for the building. It's pretty dam big...

I think I'm going to use Guitarguy's suggestion because I understand it the best. Thanks for all of the help though guys. :)

EDIT: It's over 200x250 lol.

Edited by cash money95

I think I'm going to use Guitarguy's suggestion because I understand it the best.

I can feel wolfie's pain from here.

Edited by Admiral

I think I'm going to use Guitarguy's suggestion because I understand it the best.

Lol I know, I feel so bad Wolfie :( >.<

Edited by cash money95

Eh, finding an efficient way to fill a pool in Minecraft > figuring out why my Java applet for Computer Science class doesn't load. Besides, now that I came up with that technique, I can use it myself too :P

How wide is the moat?

I think I'm going to use Guitarguy's suggestion because I understand it the best. Thanks for all of the help though guys. :)

That proves that Wolfie's advice is best understood in the Faking section.

How long it must have took him.

How wide is the moat?

So that was all fake?

What about making the outside area first?

How wide is the moat?

So that was all fake?

You...

You're seriously...

You're that oblivious to the existence of the Screenshot Fakes section of the forums?

How wide is the moat?

So that was all fake?

You...

You're seriously...

You're that oblivious to the existence of the Screenshot Fakes section of the forums?

The frightening thing is I think he's actually posted there before.

How wide is the moat?

So that was all fake?

You...

You're seriously...

Whats wrong?

How wide is the moat?

So that was all fake?

You...

You're seriously...

Eh sometimes I forget that place exists too.

How wide is the moat?

So that was all fake?

You...

You're seriously...

Whats wrong?

You dared to miss what was actually being said by Amber. That's all.

True Hunter. :P I made a mistake.

My mistake.

Sorry.

Crap, I just found out that the only reason I was able to play offline without buying the game is because I had a cracked version before and the cracking stuff transferred over to the legit folder. Guess I need to decide if I'm going to buy the game or not...

Also, I still have the "saved" folder for the world I was working on. If I buy the game and put that into the new folder, will it load my world?

Crap, I just found out that the only reason I was able to play offline without buying the game is because I had a cracked version before and the cracking stuff transferred over to the legit folder. Guess I need to decide if I'm going to buy the game or not...

Also, I still have the "saved" folder for the world I was working on. If I buy the game and put that into the new folder, will it load my world?

I think it doesn't matter.

Oh and you know what... Read This!

The "saves" folder? Yes, keep that somewhere safe before installing the real version of the game. Then place that folder in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\.minecraft\

The next time you start up the legit copy of the game, all your worlds should show up on the world selection screen.

@Hilbrande/Aabid: If he buys the game, he can play on multiplayer servers (besides Salscraft and others which allow pirates), and can also have a skin too (okay, so the skin's not such a big deal :P).

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Privacy Policy.