Sal's RuneScape Forum
Kyra10987

Most difficult part of learning English? (For non-native speakers)

Dutch is such a coarse language
I've never found it that coarse, but keep in mind that my perception of Dutch is heavily influenced by yours truly's adolescence in a place popular with Dutch tourists, and with such an abundance there was a large supply of eye candy that can be summed up as "holy plenty of awesome gazongas, Batman!"

That said, I've started learning English a fair bit before being formally taught the language, and as such I can easily make grammar-related mistakes (YOU try and learn correct grammar from Bob Dylan, the Who, Queen, Beatles, etc.). Having already learned an anglo-saxon language (German), probably it's been easier than learning it from scratch. The most difficult part has been - so far - the correct usage of different tenses, which is why I try and keep to those I know. :P Oh, also the fact that you can't leave out the subject because so many tenses are identical. :(

I think you mean Germanic. English and Scots are the only "Anglo-Saxon" languages. :P

I don't find Dutch to be very coarse, I quite like Dutch. The written form doesn't look too hard to learn.

It's not that Dutch is a bad language in any way, it just lacks something that English has. I cannot listen to any form of Dutch lyrics, because it seems to be impossible to not make the sound off in one way or another. English doesn't have that. But maybe that's just me.

not that is just you dutch people always shoving hot potatoes in your mouth when you talk or sing

see no problem here:

I've never found it that coarse, but keep in mind that my perception of Dutch is heavily influenced by yours truly's adolescence in a place popular with Dutch tourists, and with such an abundance there was a large supply of eye candy that can be summed up as "holy plenty of awesome gazongas, Batman!"

That said, I've started learning English a fair bit before being formally taught the language, and as such I can easily make grammar-related mistakes (YOU try and learn correct grammar from Bob Dylan, the Who, Queen, Beatles, etc.). Having already learned an anglo-saxon language (German), probably it's been easier than learning it from scratch. The most difficult part has been - so far - the correct usage of different tenses, which is why I try and keep to those I know. :P Oh, also the fact that you can't leave out the subject because so many tenses are identical. :(

I think you mean Germanic. English and Scots are the only "Anglo-Saxon" languages. :P

I don't find Dutch to be very coarse, I quite like Dutch. The written form doesn't look too hard to learn.

It's not that Dutch is a bad language in any way, it just lacks something that English has. I cannot listen to any form of Dutch lyrics, because it seems to be impossible to not make the sound off in one way or another. English doesn't have that. But maybe that's just me.

not that is just you dutch people always shoving hot potatoes in your mouth when you talk or sing

see no problem here:

Do give me an example of a good Belgian singer then? :cute:

In Hungary, in 2004, late at night, me and my classmates were watching TV, and ended up - somehow - on German channels advertising lewd telephone services. Apart from some of the images that required a lot of brain bleach to make disappear, the most unsettling thing about it all was the voices, apparently enticing you into phoning, but to our ears it sounded like an eerie mixture of Margaret Thatcher and Joseph Goebbels, with asthma.

Nobody slept well these days.

gazongas

Damnit, since when has this word been a thing.

Am I really that far behind? :(

gazongas

AFAIK Questionable Content certified it as a thing back in 2005 or so

gazongas

In my defense, I was twelve.

gazongas

Being twelve doesn't fall in the "girls are icky" stage that lies between "oh wow free milk" and "bone everything that breathes", sir

gazongas

Being twelve doesn't fall in the "girls are icky" stage that lies between "oh wow free milk" and "bone everything that breathes", sir

It was more like the 'The fudge is this, the fudge is that' stage.