Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sobend

Getting rid of the upvote/downvote system

In my opinion, the upvote/downvote idea is not worth it. I can't think of a significant plus that it brings to the enjoyment of the forum experience and it has several minuses. The main negative of the system is that it gets (some) people caring about votes, causing people to intentionally try to get upvotes/downvotes because they think it increases their relevance on an internet site or causes people to bully a member of the site by downvoting all of their posts.

So I was wondering what other people think. I may be the only person who feels this way. We have already had trouble with this already and we've only had upvotes/downvotes for maybe a month. I suggest going back to only the upvote system (which would solve in my opinion the main problem) or just get rid of the system entirely.

Don't be afraid to voice your opinion on this matter and let's keep this discussion non-personal (e.g. don't bring up any too specific incidents).

there is power in the up/downvote system

this power is not for mere mortals such as ourselves

Eh, I don't know. I haven't yet seen people begging for upvotes (or maybe I've seen it so often before that I've come to ignore it). It's true that it's too easily abusable though (I know you said non-personal, but see Aabid with -100).

Also what Lupe said.

I'd quite like to see the system removed, or at least the removal of the negative vote system. It's not been here that long and it's already been grossly abused, to the point that some people have shown themselves to be pretty lame.

It's become quite obvious I think when people post fishing for likes. The pips have always been a hotly debated issue on this forum because of a perceived difference in status that comes with a standout pip, and I think the reputation system is another step towards this.

I'd be content for the up/down voting system to stay, provided there was no overall tally shown on someone's profile, just leave it so you can see the rating on the individual post and who did the voting.

In my opinion, the upvote/downvote idea is not worth it. I can't think of a significant plus that it brings to the enjoyment of the forum experience and it has several minuses. The main negative of the system is that it gets (some) people caring about votes, causing people to intentionally try to get upvotes/downvotes because they think it increases their relevance on an internet site or causes people to bully a member of the site by downvoting all of their posts.

So I was wondering what other people think. I may be the only person who feels this way. We have already had trouble with this already and we've only had upvotes/downvotes for maybe a month. I suggest going back to only the upvote system (which would solve in my opinion the main problem) or just get rid of the system entirely.

Don't be afraid to voice your opinion on this matter and let's keep this discussion non-personal (e.g. don't bring up any too specific incidents).

I think downvotes should be taken out. Down votes are like trolling on the internet - "LOL DOOD DIS SUCKS" - instead of offering legitimate constructive criticism. Nothing wrong with likes, though.

At the very least, up/downvotes should not affect reputation. That's just dumb.

Edited by Linux

I personally do not mind either way. I do not find it to be useful (and that is why I kept being against it for a few years), but my stance on this is that the majority of the forum should decide this. That said, I am pretty sure we are not going to allow certain things like petitioning for likes or systematically downvoting anyone. Upvoting or downvoting posts should be a spur of the moment thing, not a forced mechanic to build e-peen or alienate forum members. :P

If enough people was against it (in comparison to those in favour), it could probably be removed. It probably will be removed if it is too abused too, and the Staff notice that it just create issues. :P

On the plus side, I do get a written list of people to remember to moderate extra harshly after they systematically downvote me.

Edited by Yuanrang

Remove the reputation score on user profiles.

Keep the ability to rate posts themselves.

I think downvotes should be taken out. Down votes are like trolling on the internet - "LOL DOOD DIS SUCKS" - instead of offering legitimate constructive criticism. Nothing wrong with likes, though.

At the very least, up/downvotes should not affect reputation. That's just dumb.

I think the upvote/down system is fair enough. I don't know how the system currently works, but if there was a rolling timeframe, outside of which votes were no longer counted, any downvotes could be worked off with time.

The downvote is sometimes the best response to some posts that would have been better not posted. Some forum users have Aabad habit, when you give them construction criticism it only results in Tyrannous Spamming on the forums.

Eh - I really don't care either way. I already know I'm popular.

I think that removing the downvote option would be the best solution. We've had the Likes/Upvotes system for a few months now and there were no complaints, however with the recent addition of downvoting it's being pretty rampant across the board.

I think that removing the downvote option would be the best solution. We've had the Likes/Upvotes system for a few months now and there were no complaints, however with the recent addition of downvoting it's being pretty rampant across the board.

The reason we switched from a simple "Like" system to Up/Down votes was due to members saying that liking a post is useless without a Dislike option too. Which makes sense sometimes when a post really deserves to be voted down. Obviously certain members have been abusing the system, unfortunately.

I think the system is fine as it is. The only problems we're seeing is the ritual downvoting of Aabid, who actually seemed happy about it at first. This could happen again in the future, but I don't see the need to remove a good system which allows for people to show their opinions without having to post because of a few members' immaturity when the mods can just deal with that anyway.

Sal's Realm taking itself too seriously again?

UPVOTE ME FOR PRESIDENTE.

I personally do not mind either way. I do not find it to be useful (and that is why I kept being against it for a few years), but my stance on this is that the majority of the forum should decide this. That said, I am pretty sure we are not going to allow certain things like petitioning for likes or systematically downvoting anyone. Upvoting or downvoting posts should be a spur of the moment thing, not a forced mechanic to build e-peen or alienate forum members. :P

If enough people was against it (in comparison to those in favour), it could probably be removed. It probably will be removed if it is too abused too, and the Staff notice that it just create issues. :P

On the plus side, I do get a written list of people to remember to moderate extra harshly after they systematically downvote me.

god damnit he knows

Remove the reputation score on user profiles.

Keep the ability to rate posts themselves.

this man is genius guys

We should have it not reflect on some sort of 'personal score'. We should be more worried about warning points than how many likes we achieve or how many dislikes we grieve.

The reason we switched from a simple "Like" system to Up/Down votes was due to members saying that liking a post is useless without a Dislike option too. Which makes sense sometimes when a post really deserves to be voted down. Obviously certain members have been abusing the system, unfortunately.

I think the whole idea of the downvote system is flawed. Why downvote a post?

It's against the rules/spammy - Report it and a moderator will deal with it.

You disagree with their opinion - I don't see how their opinion should reflect their reputation. Granted, people upvote for that same, opposite reason, however an upvote to me is like an 'I agree with this' button, whereas the downvote button seems like 'the person who posted this is an idiot'. I just don't see it ending well at all ('specially in the Debate room :P).

I (and most forumers) appreciate your effort to implement users' suggestions, however after trying it out I don't think it's suitable :(

A sort of compromise could be only allowing staff to downvote, although then what would the point of warnings be?

I think the whole idea of the downvote system is flawed. Why downvote a post?

It's against the rules/spammy - Report it and a moderator will deal with it.

You disagree with their opinion - I don't see how their opinion should reflect their reputation. Granted, people upvote for that same, opposite reason, however an upvote to me is like an 'I agree with this' button, whereas the downvote button seems like 'the person who posted this is an idiot'. I just don't see it ending well at all ('specially in the Debate room :P).

I (and most forumers) appreciate your effort to implement users' suggestions, however after trying it out I don't think it's suitable :(

A sort of compromise could be only allowing staff to downvote, although then what would the point of warnings be?

I don't think compromise works in these forums, for years people were asking for likes/dislikes. They get them, now they want the likes to go. Is doesn't matter what you do on these forums, someone wont agree with the change you make. If anything happens to the like system now you can guarantee someone else will pop up with a suggestion for the opposite.

I think the system was seen as something good in theory but when experimentally done it just does not work out. It may have been a nice idea but realistically has only negative influence on the forum. I realize that it may seem odd that many people were wanting a downvote option until the option was actually put into play, but I feel the right thing to do is at least get rid of the downvote option. I also am not a big fan of likes because of people making posts for likes so they can have the highest "reputation" of anyone here. People are already interested in one useless statitistic (post count), let's not make them interested in two.

Another way of dealing with this problem would be as Leaf suggested, is just to get rid of the likes tally. This would work to a degree if likes and dislikes were still in place but would not solve all of the problems. The main problem it would not solve would be the bullying aspect of the system. Let's say that everyone decided to pick on John Doe, who is a perfectly good user but many people dislike him for some reason. They downvote all of his posts despite the fact none of his posts are spammy. Now, a new user to the forum, Mr. Deeds, sees that all of John Doe's posts are very negatively rated. Is Mr. Deeds going to have a low opinion of John Doe? Probably. Is it John Doe's fault? No. So as you see, getting rid of the likes tally is not going to solve all of the problems, although it definately would help. So if you were going to do that, I'd also suggest getting rid of dislikes too.

Yes, but the problem is when people start voting not for the content of the post, but for the popularity of the poster. The whole reputation system creates this popularity contest which I doubt is the original intention of being able to vote on posts. I do not see the logic behind raising/lowering the reputation of a member because people like/dislike something that they posted.

If you really want to keep the popularity contest of the reputation system, allow users to vote up or down on the user profiles of other people.

However, I am still very much in favour of scrapping the reputation system. The ability to vote on posts is great, but abusing that ability to change the reputation of posters is no good.

Edited by -Leaf-

Yes, but the problem is when people start voting not for the content of the post, but for the popularity of the poster. The whole reputation system creates this popularity contest which I doubt is the original intention of being able to vote on posts. I do not see the logic behind raising/lowering the reputation of a member because people like/dislike something that they posted.

If you really want to keep the popularity contest of the reputation system, allow users to vote up or down on the user profiles of other people.

However, I am still very much in favour of scrapping the reputation system. The ability to vote on posts is great, but abusing that ability to change the reputation of posters is no good.

You make it seem like the end of the world. It's really, really not. Oh no, a few people mis-use a particular part of the forums, go ahead and take down the whole thing.

I don't want to get rid of it totally - going back to just upvotes would make some sense, though.

I present my latest experiment, this thread.

I just quote a particular forumer, and I get more downvotes than I have on any other post I have made. I do like the idea in theory, but in practice the system is flawed.

You make it seem like the end of the world. It's really, really not. Oh no, a few people mis-use a particular part of the forums, go ahead and take down the whole thing.

Well it hasn't been working out so far and it's only been a month. If there are any significant positives that show that the system is good for the site and worth the possible problems, say them.