Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Salmoneus

Yes, I was hacked. Hard.

No, not me (thankfully). I thought this was an interesting story, and it shows how important multifactor authentication really is.

At 4:50 PM, someone got into my iCloud account, reset the password and sent the confirmation message about the reset to the trash. My password was a 7 digit alphanumeric that I didn’t use elsewhere. When I set it up, years and years ago, that seemed pretty secure at the time. But it’s not.

Source: http://www.emptyage....was-hacked-hard

u had me going there sal

you and your misleading titles

Oh, so you have not noticed yet... :aware:

The one thing I draw from that entire story is that you should never connect everything up to the same system, but keep them separate. Yes, it is a hassle, but it is far more safer than having everything gathered under the same system.

Edited by Yuanrang

That, and it also points out that cloud services can be a double edged sword. The attacker was able to physically wipe all of this guy's devices (iPhone, iPad and MacBook) by gaining access to his iCloud. People think that it's fine to give one service the ability to wipe devices, and it's touted as a "Security" measure in case a device is stolen. They don't think "well, what if my account gets compromised?" and realize that the very service they're paying to protect their data can be easily turned against them.

The only things I draw from the story are more reasons to dislike apple's hardware and software (software in this case)

Edited by Clavius

The only things I draw from the story are more reasons to dislike apple's hardware and software (software in this case)

I'm pretty sure that apple isn't the only company that has a cloud service. The main problem that I saw there was customer service reps who allowed the person to gain access to the accounts.

Edited by Something Obscure

I'm pretty sure that apple isn't the only company that has a cloud service. The main problem that I saw there was customer service reps who allowed the person to gain access to the accounts.

Yes, unfortunately it's way too easy to gain control over someone's online accounts. Especially with everyone using Facebook these days, it's extremely easy to use that information against a "target" and SE your way in. Scary stuff!

I think this guy's biggest mistake was using Apple products in the first place.