Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sobend

Useless Olympic sports

Yeah, but a horse is a real limiting factor. In equestrian the rider is important, but (without being a horseriding expert) I'd say that the horse is more important than the rider.

It's not all a matter of who is the best rider, but also who has the best horse. Even if they were of equal importance, horses would still need to be considered an athlete.

I really don't see the significance in anything you're saying, unless you are actually arguing that horses should partake in the introduction of the athletes during the opening and closing ceremonies.

In which case.... :doubt:

I mean, nobody is denying the importance of the horse in a horse riding competition.

I'm basically saying that the horse is doing the olympic caliber athletic endeavor, not the rider. I was going astray from that by defending my argument. If you were going to keep horse riding in the Olympics you should at least consider both rider and horse athletes. That doesn't necessarily mean that horses needed to march in the parade of nations.

20 seconds in, I don't think I could do half of what she did:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pz0SGK1QW8

Fact of the matter is, every single one of these sports takes skill and hardwork. watching a minute of Rythmic Gymnastics you can tell you need to be flexible and really agile to do well.

Yeah, but a horse is a real limiting factor. In equestrian the rider is important, but (without being a horseriding expert) I'd say that the horse is more important than the rider.

It's not all a matter of who is the best rider, but also who has the best horse. Even if they were of equal importance, horses would still need to be considered an athlete.

I really don't see the significance in anything you're saying, unless you are actually arguing that horses should partake in the introduction of the athletes during the opening and closing ceremonies.

I mean, nobody is denying the importance of the horse in a horse riding competition.

I'm basically saying that the horse is doing the olympic caliber athletic endeavor, not the rider. I was going astray from that by defending my argument. If you were going to keep horse riding in the Olympics you should at least consider both rider and horse athletes. That doesn't necessarily mean that horses needed to march in the parade of nations.

I've got a serious question for you. Have you ever actually ridden a horse?

Ultimate Frisbee needs to be in the olympics. Takes more athleticism than any other sport.

wtf

i dont understand why Handball gets so much hate, it deserves to be an Olympic sport and it's really fun

So, what exactly is your argument? You're just rambling now because nobody has said anything to the contrary of what you're banging on about :s

I mean, go and watch any of the interviews with Olympians who compete in equestrian events, they always go on about how proud they are of the horse and how well the horse did and how much work the horse put in. And nobody in this thread has said anything to the contrary - yet you persist in raving about horses being athletes?

So, what exactly is your argument? You're just rambling now because nobody has said anything to the contrary of what you're banging on about :s

I mean, go and watch any of the interviews with Olympians who compete in equestrian events, they always go on about how proud they are of the horse and how well the horse did and how much work the horse put in. And nobody in this thread has said anything to the contrary - yet you persist in raving about horses being athletes?

Basically I'm saying that horseriding should not be an olympic sport in my opinion. Nobody has said contrary to what I've said; I'm just introducing a new point which was really to defend my topic post reason and obviously is not working in this discussion. So stray awaing from that seemingly thoughtless point. I'm not saying riding a horse is easy, but just because it is hard doesn't warrant it being an olympic sport.

How do horse riders show Olympic athletic ability? (besides the hard work and training of course). I've never seriously trained with a horse so if there is something I'm totally missing explain.

Edit: I watched part of the women's rythmic gymnastics final and I was impressed. I was under the impression from the five seconds of footage I watched that it was just tossing balls up in the air and dancing. I would revisit that personally.

Edited by Sobend

It's very hard to get a real judgement of how difficult sports are without ever trying them first-hand.

If I really had to choose, one of the sports that I dont really consider Olympic standard is Archery (Even though I did enjoy watching the SF's and Finals)

From what it seems, it's all about the mental pressure, the aiming and precision is perfected in practice and your mental ability will get you the best results. (Not mentioning the questionable body structure of one of the top nation's archers. (South Korea).

Equestrian also requires a lot of mental ability to be able to control your horse in all situations. So much pressure for a rider who is making the final jump for the gold medal.

I don't see why you are putting so much emphasis on Olympic Athletic Ability. Each Olympic athlete has their body kept in shape for their Olympic Sport.

Well it's just always been an opinion of mine that the Olympics should focus on great physical feats. I realize that all Olympic sports are difficult and take years of practice to even get into the Olympic games. But not all current Olympic Sports require great physical feats. Also, I do not consider keeping yourself in shape as a great physical feat.

In the end it's just a matter of opinion.