Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
_max

Dual monitor setup?

Looking to pull the trigger on this build in the coming weeks and I was wondering about dual monitor setup. Also in getting this desktop is give my laptop to my younger bro and that brings up the question of college, do I need a laptop?

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ Microcenter)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Microcenter)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.86 @ Outlet PC)

Storage: Intel 520 Series Cherryville 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($132.99 @ B&H)

Video Card: Diamond Radeon HD 7970 3GB Video Card ($399.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Cooler Master Storm Trooper ATX Full Tower Case ($139.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: SeaSonic 650W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($119.00 @ Newegg)

Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer ($19.98 @ Outlet PC)

Monitor: Asus VH236H 23.0" Monitor ($149.98 @ NCIX US)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($90.63 @ Amazon)

Other: Wifi card

Total: $1542.38

(Prices include shipping and discounts when available.)

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-10 01:39 EDT-0400)

depends on the school,

many people say you need it but when push comes to shove you often still can take notes better on paper

you access to a computer daily, not constantly

depends on the school,

many people say you need it but when push comes to shove you often still can take notes better on paper

you access to a computer daily, not constantly

Thanks egghe, in guess if it really came down to it laptops can be had for cheap haha

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Microcenter)

Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard ($134.99 @ Microcenter)

Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($45.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($88.86 @ Outlet PC)

Storage: Intel 520 Series Cherryville 120GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($132.99 @ B&H)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($400.53 @ Amazon)

Power Supply: SeaSonic 620W ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($83.99 @ SuperBiiz)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($90.74 @ Amazon)

Total: $1508.02

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-10 12:04 EDT-0400)

switched to this because i just can't justify a second monitor at the moment, when the time comes ill just get a second if i want to.

yeah a second monitor you can buy later on, I did that too

bumped into a seriously discounted good monitor, just wait for an opportunity like that too

a second monitor doesn't have to be top notch anyway

that's what your primary monitor is for

yeah a second monitor you can buy later on, I did that too

bumped into a seriously discounted good monitor, just wait for an opportunity like that too

a second monitor doesn't have to be top notch anyway

that's what your primary monitor is for

alright thanks :)

Might want to check up on the Samsung 830 Series 128GB - http://images.anandtech.com/graphs/graph6074/48863.png Not sure how comprehensive Anandtech's review is, but it does beat the Intel 520 in that benchmark. Here in Australia, the Samsung 830 is cheaper, although the warranty is 3 years compared to the Intel 520's 5 years. Don't know if that still holds over there in the States.

You may also want to consider changing your RAM to G.Skill Ares 2x4GB 1600MHz since it's low profile RAM. Usually what's recommended for builds over here when paired with the Coolermaster Evo 212, can't remember the last time I saw someone recommend Ripjaws. :s

Also, are you sure you need all the features on the AsRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard? If not you may want to consider replacing it with the Z77-Pro4M or the Z77 Pro3, but if you're under budget and happy there's no real reason to I guess. :P

I'd say a laptop is unnecessary, though that depends on your major. An engineering or computer science student will probably need a laptop every day. Other majors probably won't. I was a business/financial services major and a laptop proved to be more distraction than tool. Instead, I dropped the weight and space and instead brought two calculators (one a cheaper scientific, the other for accounting) and some higher-quality notebooks to write in.

Anyways, the build looks pretty good. Do check Newegg though: they frequently have instant rebate codes and mail-in rebates--neither of which appear on PCPP.

Might want to check up on the Samsung 830 Series 128GB - http://images.anandt...h6074/48863.png Not sure how comprehensive Anandtech's review is, but it does beat the Intel 520 in that benchmark. Here in Australia, the Samsung 830 is cheaper, although the warranty is 3 years compared to the Intel 520's 5 years. Don't know if that still holds over there in the States.

You may also want to consider changing your RAM to G.Skill Ares 2x4GB 1600MHz since it's low profile RAM. Usually what's recommended for builds over here when paired with the Coolermaster Evo 212, can't remember the last time I saw someone recommend Ripjaws. :s

Also, are you sure you need all the features on the AsRock Z77 Extreme4 motherboard? If not you may want to consider replacing it with the Z77-Pro4M or the Z77 Pro3, but if you're under budget and happy there's no real reason to I guess. :P

I was under the impression that they're was plenty of space for normal ram but if they're isn't ill get some low profile stuff.

Also the idea was to get the extreme cause it's in the budget and i want to OC my i5 to the area of 4.2-4.5

thanks about the Samsung, i was trying to find those and for the life of me couldn't remember which was which :D

I'd say a laptop is unnecessary, though that depends on your major. An engineering or computer science student will probably need a laptop every day. Other majors probably won't. I was a business/financial services major and a laptop proved to be more distraction than tool. Instead, I dropped the weight and space and instead brought two calculators (one a cheaper scientific, the other for accounting) and some higher-quality notebooks to write in.

Anyways, the build looks pretty good. Do check Newegg though: they frequently have instant rebate codes and mail-in rebates--neither of which appear on PCPP.

im looking into Civil/Computer Science/Chemical Eng at the moment(not sure which) in which case how will going with a cheaper laptop be?

Also someone suggested to me PC power and cooling PSU over the seasonic i had above, thoughts?

Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($54.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($89.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" Solid State Disk ($119.99 @ Newegg)

Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 670 2GB Video Card ($407.99 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 600W ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Microcenter)

Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (64-bit) ($90.37 @ Amazon)

Total: $1478.24

(Generated by PCPartPicker 2012-08-11 15:08 EDT-0400)

I also live about 20 mins from a Microcenter but im unsure if the saving will make much of a difference cause of taxes?

Edited by _max

PCP&C over Seasonic? Not a chance! PCP&C was bought by OCZ a while ago. They don't have the same quality service or products as they did before. Plus, most PCP&C Silencer MK III & MK IV units aren't even 80 PLUS Gold.

For college, ask what the university itself recommends for the majors. You can always grab an ultrabook later. It'll also depend on what your schedule looks like. Before I graduated, I had some days where I had 8-10 hours of class. When you have to drag around 4-5 textbooks, a laptop quickly dropped off my "good things to carry" list. Many colleges like to be evil and will schedule Freshman classes first thing in the morning. But regardless, a decent laptop won't last through 2 classes back-to-back. You'll have to look for smaller and lighter laptops with larger battery lives.

Edited by Bob-sama

PCP&C over Seasonic? Not a chance! PCP&C was bought by OCZ a while ago. They don't have the same quality service or products as they did before. Plus, most PCP&C Silencer MK III & MK IV units aren't even 80 PLUS Gold.

For college, ask what the university itself recommends for the majors. You can always grab an ultrabook later. It'll also depend on what your schedule looks like. Before I graduated, I had some days where I had 8-10 hours of class. When you have to drag around 4-5 textbooks, a laptop quickly dropped off my "good things to carry" list. Many colleges like to be evil and will schedule Freshman classes first thing in the morning. But regardless, a decent laptop won't last through 2 classes back-to-back. You'll have to look for smaller and lighter laptops with larger battery lives.

that's what i thought, yeah it shouldn't be a problem getting something small later on, thanks :)

Hopefully will get this all ordered sometime next week :D

Edited by _max

Is that power supply modular? If it isn't, you might want to consider changing it (again) although it's hard to find a decent, cheap modular power supply. :(

Easier cable management overall without excess power cables. :P

Is that power supply modular? If it isn't, you might want to consider changing it (again) although it's hard to find a decent, cheap modular power supply. :(

A Seasonic X-650 Gold is a fully modular power supply. That PCP&C-branded OCZ POS PSU is also modular. Please, do examine the hardware in question.

A Seasonic X-650 Gold is a fully modular power supply. That PCP&C-branded OCZ POS PSU is also modular. Please, do examine the hardware in question.

yeah I defiantly won't be going without a modular psu :P