Sal's RuneScape Forum
Desireful

2012 Election Thread

I personally don't like Romney, he seems like an odious little man and a presidency under him would probably just be full of Bush-esque gaffes (we've even seen the attention grabbing "London isn't ready for the Olympics" gaffe proven spectacularly wrong, imagine something that in the greater scheme of world politics actually mattered!). My vote would be with Obama, but I still think he's not a particularly good candidate.

Honestly, Mitt Romney was only repeating what many Britons were saying themselves. The Olympics turned out fine for London in many ways, but in other ways they were a complete joke.

One sticking point with the Olympics in London was it was championed as this economic stimulator for London when in reality it resulted in less tourism than London would of normally had.

Say if you're hosting a dinner party. You might joke about it being an absolute disaster beforehand, but if one of the guests to said dinner party did the same thing you'd be offended. This is a similar sort of scenario imo

Sorry about the late reply, I've not been on Sal's much in the past few months :(

It's going to be pretty hilarious to watch Joe Biden debate Paul Ryan.

Predictions for November? Still way too early, but whatever.

I really don't think Mitt Romney has a much of a chance to be honest, based on current analyses. It might be close in the popular vote, but it still looks like Romney has a ways to go before he can catch up in the electoral college.

Well, it is really kind of early, so it is hard to tell. I really hope not though. It would be painful for me to see Obama's smiling face on the newspaper for another four years. Kansas is not really a swing state at all, though. lol

How successful Romney is going to be depends largely on whether the election will turn out like the 2010 one or like the 2008 one. He's facing an uphill battle, but has the advantage of the strong anti-Obama sentiment in several states that voted Democrat in 2008 and then went Republican in 2010.

Clint Eastwood is freaking hilarious. People are acting like he is off his rocker/insane. There were quite a few hilarious points in there. Especially liked the comment against that fool Biden. Give the dude a break, he is 82 years old. Anybody else see this?

Video of Clint Eastwood:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiHNVYRTKP8

I liked Penn Jillette's take on that.

If you said to me, Clint Eastwood wants to come and be on stage, I would say, let him do whatever he wants. It doesn't reflect on Romney. It's just goofy, wild, beautiful, crazy. It's what the United States should be.

http://www.examiner.com/article/penn-jillette-defends-clint-eastwood-s-empty-chair-speech

Edited by theking1322

I was kind of uncertain about Obama for a bit.

Then I somehow got subscribed to Democratic Party emails, and found out that Obama is using the same tactics with his base that he uses with the general public.

Definitely not voting for Obama in November. I'm not fully convinced that he and Romney are not just idiots, they're both goosedowns.

If Romney actually ran as a rich businessman like he is, instead of trying to tell us he is just like us (:rofl:) then I think he wouldn't be so bad. That and that he is basically forced into playing to the wants of the far right, even though when he was here (Massachusetts) he was much more liberal than he seems now. Plus his running mate is way too conservative.

TL;DR: If he actually ran as what he was instead of what the Republicans want him to be, he would be a better choice.

But in the end, like George Carlin said, we are slowly circling the drain.

If Romney actually ran as a rich businessman like he is, instead of trying to tell us he is just like us (:rofl:) then I think he wouldn't be so bad. That and that he is basically forced into playing to the wants of the far right, even though when he was here (Massachusetts) he was much more liberal than he seems now. Plus his running mate is way too conservative.

TL;DR: If he actually ran as what he was instead of what the Republicans want him to be, he would be a better choice.

But in the end, like George Carlin said, we are slowly circling the drain.

Silly, Romney doesn't give a shizzle about your vote, or liberal votes for that matter. He's smart. He knows those votes are off-limits to him. He also knows that he only needs to convince a few swing states (several of whom voted Republican in 2010 by an overwhelming margin) that he's better than Obama. That's it.

Romney is a politician who plays to win. He talks about tax cuts because that's where Republican votes are.

There's no such thing as a Democratic or Republican platform. Winning is the only platform that matters. All you gotta do is convince the swing voters that you are better than the other guy.

The Democrats still have an ideology. The Republicans do not.

Their "ideology" is centered around getting liberal votes. Their ideology is liberal because that's where their voters are.

I'm going for social change. The recession has been over for a while now. The average person doesn't pay attention to the shape of the economy every day because economies take time to crash and time to fix. Bill Clinton left with an amazing economy, and he didn't leave with a surplus in just one term.

I'm not rich, I have gay friends, female friends who were raped, and female friends who may be raped in the future. I am friends with women who do not make as much money as the men who do the same kind of work, even if they've been there longer than the men. There is nothing Romney can do for me, my family, or my friends/co workers.

Finally, what Romney does not know is that the people who signed The Constitution were mostly not Christian. Many of them were against Catholicism and were Deists who believed in independent thinking. America is not and never was a Christian nation and we were founded on religious freedom. Romney and 44 States don't understand that. The constitution was written as a flexible document that accounts for social change. They may not have allowed gay marriage back then, but then again, they also kidnapped Africans and used them as slaves.

Edited by TakerMayFire

I'm going for social change. The recession has been over for a while now. The average person doesn't pay attention to the shape of the economy every day because economies take time to crash and time to fix. Bill Clinton left with an amazing economy, and he didn't leave with a surplus in just one term.

Actually, Greece is going to get the boot from the Eurozone after the election, which will spark the Great Recession Part Deux.

So yeah, the economy is probably the single most important issue in this economy, and the polls show the same. Single female voters say that their two most important concerns are employment and gas prices (according to the New York Times, CBS, and Wall Street Journal's polls). This social issues focus is not really salient right now as real un(der)employment still hangs around 15-20%. The economy is about to take a sharp turn south, and the guy with the best plan to soften the fall is the guy I'd rather see in the White House.

…not that I'm voting for either of these bozos, but you get what I mean, right?

I'm not rich, I have gay friends, female friends who were raped, and female friends who may be raped in the future. I am friends with women who do not make as much money as the men who do the same kind of work, even if they've been there longer than the men. There is nothing Romney can do for me, my family, or my friends/co workers.

Finally, what Romney does not know is that the people who signed The Constitution were mostly not Christian. Many of them were against Catholicism and were Deists who believed in independent thinking. America is not and never was a Christian nation and we were founded on religious freedom. Romney and 44 States don't understand that. The constitution was written as a flexible document that accounts for social change. They may not have allowed gay marriage back then, but then again, they also kidnapped Africans and used them as slaves.

1300044776986.jpg

I seriously hope you don't actually believe all that...

1. The recession may be over because it burned itself out (all the shizzlety investments collapsed and the good ones survived), but we're still experiencing anemic job growth, Social Security and Medicare are running out of money and raising taxes will just cause another recession.

2. Clinton did not leave the United States with a budget surplus. He still had like a $60B deficit, but he filled that gap by borrowing from Social Security, thus making it APPEAR as though there is a budget surplus. We're paying for that now. Also he didn't leave the economy in such nice shape, remember the dot com bubble? Yeah.

3. Obama doesn't really care about gay people. He had four years to show real progress in that area. He did jack shizzle.

4. Romney is a politician. He won't send all the gay people to concentration camps, won't outlaw contraception and won't force kids to pray to Jesus in school. The GOP only has one real political platform: to win elections. Going radical isn't going to help them do that. They aren't stupid.

Edited by theking1322

Actually, Greece is going to get the boot from the Eurozone after the election, which will spark the Great Recession Part Deux.

How so?

How so? It sucks a $300 million annual GDP out of the entire currency. The rug is going to be yanked out from under the Euro and usher in a new credit crisis, what with all the currency investments and bonds backed by the Euro.

Shouldn't the Euro do a little better once Greece gets kicked out since all the other countries won't have to prop them up anymore?

Shouldn't the Euro do a little better once Greece gets kicked out since all the other countries won't have to prop them up anymore?

In the long term? Yes. In the short term, no.

I like Bill Clinton also, but to say he left with an amazing economy is at least an overstatement. At the end of his term, the economy dipped. For example, the NASDAQ dropped 46 percent from September 2000 to the end of Clinton's second term. One could also make the argument that some of Clinton's policies contributed to the recession we are in right now. Also, the bit about the average person not paying attention to the shape of the economy every day is ridiculous. Do you think the millions of unemployed do not care enough to not pay attention the the nation's economy?

I have..., female friends who were raped, and female friends who may be raped in the future.

I'm not sure what you're exactly implying here, but you do realize the Romney-Ryan platform allows abortion in instances of rape, right? What that guy running for senate said has nothing to do with the presidential republican platform.

Edited by Sobend

The point about contraception is not outlawing it, it's that it would be made not free under Romney. I know lots of women that NEED the birth control pill because they are incapacitated by their periods without it. They would usually have to spend a crapton of money if it wasn't free, and believe it or not, a lot of people don't have a lot of money.

At the end of his term, the economy dipped. For example, the NASDAQ dropped 46 percent from September 2000 to the end of Clinton's second term.
Wasn't that because every Tom, Dick and Harry who founded anything with a .com appended at the end received investor funds that they almost always failed to repay? Think Facebook, multiplied by a few thousand (if not more). There's a reason why it's called the "dot-com bubble".

So yeah, the economy is probably the single most important issue in this economy, and the polls show the same. Single female voters say that their two most important concerns are employment and gas prices (according to the New York Times, CBS, and Wall Street Journal's polls). This social issues focus is not really salient right now as real un(der)employment still hangs around 15-20%. The economy is about to take a sharp turn south, and the guy with the best plan to soften the fall is the guy I'd rather see in the White House.

…not that I'm voting for either of these bozos, but you get what I mean, right?

How do you know it's going to get kicked out? I highly doubt it is, to be honest, if only because the possibly massive unforeseen consequences. Dutch elections are on Wednesday (and they only start campaigning about a month before at most, which is lovely), and the topics discussed in the debates are not whether to kick out Greece, but how much should we still give them. Of course, the Netherlands isn't representative of Europe, but the general idea seems to be to help Greece and not leave them to bankrupt.

The point about contraception is not outlawing it, it's that it would be made not free under Romney. I know lots of women that NEED the birth control pill because they are incapacitated by their periods without it. They would usually have to spend a crapton of money if it wasn't free, and believe it or not, a lot of people don't have a lot of money.

The issue never really was about free contraception. It was just that Obama's mandate required churches to give it to their employees for free. That's when the shizzlestorm started because the GOP believed that Obama was forcing his views on churches (violating the 1st Amendment), without realizing that this provision was unimportant, because what person works for a church that needs contraception in the first place?? Nuns don't fudge and neither do priests (well not generally anyway). Aside from that, Churches don't employ any secular people anyway, at least not full-time.

In short, someone who needs free contraception from a church would most likely not work there anyway so the whole Republican point is moot. They started all the protests to try and energize their religious base but it backfired on them when they realized that they just made themselves look stupid.

Aside from that, birth control is a small issue. I understand its importance to women but there are issues in this election which will affect everyone.

At the end of his term, the economy dipped. For example, the NASDAQ dropped 46 percent from September 2000 to the end of Clinton's second term.
Wasn't that because every Tom, Dick and Harry who founded anything with a .com appended at the end received investor funds that they almost always failed to repay? Think Facebook, multiplied by a few thousand (if not more). There's a reason why it's called the "dot-com bubble".

Well, if we're not blaming Clinton for the dot-com bubble, why should we blame Bush for the housing bubble?

Edited by theking1322

Well, if we're not blaming Clinton for the dot-com bubble, why should we blame Bush for the housing bubble?

Because technically we should blame Clinton *and* Bush for the housing bubble for the massive deregulation that allowed the subprime market to flourish to the 2008 levels, and because the conditions for the dot-com bubble weren't set by deregulation, but rather from a lack of foresight by the market; can you imagine the "OMG COMMUNISM" shizzlestorm that would have raged if Clinton (or anyone else, actually) tried to curb the speculation on the dotcoms? :P