Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Lonelywolf

just got mbp

ye i am now innovator

are there any

must gets for macs

Completely depends what you plan on using it for. Personally I think must-gets include Photoshop, Blender, Flash and Premiere Pro, but that's just what I do. Obviously get Minecraft and whatever other games, but besides that it's entirely up to whatever you do.

Personally other handy programs I have are;

Hotspot Shield; basically an internet proxy, quite useful because I'm in the UK and can't normally watch Hulu :P

Handbrake; Rips movies off DVD's, useful for me because my family borrows DVDs from Lovefilm (bit like Blockbuster).

Candybar; Customises dock/app icons/system icons (like folders and stuff) to look different. You can find loads of icon sets on DeviantART.

Screenium; Brilliant screen recorder for OS X.

The Unarchiver; Good, free archiving/unarchiving program. The built-in one works, but this works better (unzips JAR's, for a start, whereas the built-in one doesn't seem to?).

Steam; just cause

Audacity; Good sound recording and editing program, I use this for YouTube commentaries.

Some of these are free (I believe, Candybar and Screenium are the only two that aren't), but you can always torrent Candybar (youtube the details, you need to torrent the correct version or it doesn't work :/). Not sure about Screenium, regrettably I actually bought it.

The Unarchiver; Good, free archiving/unarchiving program. The built-in one works, but this works better (unzips JAR's, for a start, whereas the built-in one doesn't seem to?).

Stuflit Expander can unzip jars just fine.

If you like to read books then Calibre is the e-reader that I use for .mobi and .epub files.

I'll agree with Hunter on Handbrake.

Expod allows you to rip files off of an ipod because itunes is one way.

TinkerTool gives you some configuration options that you don't normally have without terminal commands.

That's really all I can think of offhand without an specific details as to what you want to do.

Edit: This forum doesn't support option shift k......

Edited by Something Obscure

Never heard of it :blink:

vlc media player (opens all video files in existence)

transmission (torrent)

growl (not free but very cheap in app store) is a program that gives you pop ups about all kinds of soft you have like chat programs, dropbox, ...

adium: multi chat system that includes facebook chat, irc, icq, msn and a gazillion others, works exclusively with growl

skype, because well skype :) (works with growl too)

I see you've turned to the dark side of the PCs

That's the preinstalled archival tool.

vlc media player (opens all video files in existence)

transmission (torrent)

growl (not free but very cheap in app store) is a program that gives you pop ups about all kinds of soft you have like chat programs, dropbox, ...

adium: multi chat system that includes facebook chat, irc, icq, msn and a gazillion others, works exclusively with growl

skype, because well skype :) (works with growl too)

@vlc: I believe MPlayerX is a better alternative - I got it (it's free in the app store) after finding VLC was unable to open something, possibly MKV? I'm not sure :s But I recall it having its advantages over VLC. I actually have both :P

@transmission: Yeah, any of these work just fine.

@growl: I believe Mountain Lion removes the need for this?

With Mountain Lion it only notifies you for certain programs. I think Growl gives you the option to create notifications for more programs.

Besides the ones mentioned...

Battery Health is a nice tool to have too

Wunderlist is a nice productivity tool. I like it better than Apple's reminders system. Good for keeping track of tasks/hw and stuff

Other than that I didn't need to download that much stuff when I got mine. Had most things I needed.

That's the preinstalled archival tool.

Oh right, it tried to zip up the JAR I had for some reason, rather than unarchive it :blink:

With Mountain Lion it only notifies you for certain programs. I think Growl gives you the option to create notifications for more programs.

Besides the ones mentioned...

Battery Health is a nice tool to have too

Wunderlist is a nice productivity tool. I like it better than Apple's reminders system. Good for keeping track of tasks/hw and stuff

Other than that I didn't need to download that much stuff when I got mine. Had most things I needed.

Ah right, fair enough. As you say, the computer generally comes with most stuff you need/want :)

Uninstall OS X, install Windows 7. Then you'll be coolest kid on the block.

Until your laptop does from overheating.

Edited by Lute

HandBrake: Converts pretty much any media file into a format usable by whatever device you want to put it on.

Tembo: Adds a couple of nice categories to Spotlight. Makes it even easier to find stuff.

Enjoy your new Mac!

Oh and I've heard most people say Growl is still a lot better than ML notifications. The baked in notifications are very much v1.0.