Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Young Leo

NFL & NCAA Football Thread

(Since all the past threads seem to be dead/at least a year old, I thought I'd start a new one...)

NIKE-NFL-New-Uniforms-2012.jpg

Anyways, big Bengals fan myself but they're not looking too good right against Green Bay; losing 17-6 and just had to punt it again. Really hope Jake Locker, Matt Forte, and the Bengals D step it up this year, or otherwise my fantasy team is screwed.

Edited by Leo Crimson

I'm hoping the Vikings can get 6-7 wins this year as they are rebuilding. Got some pieces there but still some issues that need to be addressed. (CB, OL, S...)

Well Matt Kalil should help patch up the OL pretty well, so AP and Christian Ponder will have an easier time. They also have Percy Harvin and Jerome Simpson, so that (somewhat) helps out the passing attack.

I'm really interested in seeing if Peyton can make the playoffs this year, and when or if Tebow will surpass Sanchez as the NYJ starter. Imo, it's a only matter of time until he does, seeing as how bad the Jets are playing this preseason and Tebow's cultness.

Eagles fan here.

This is an issue that goes off the radar often but does anyone fear that the replacement officials (the normal officials are going through a lock out) will be crummy and affect gameplay?

Semi-Off topic: Does anyone feel that the NFL gets too much attention by ESPN? Whenever I want to see the baseball highlights on Sportscenter I have to sit through all of this NFL preseason garbage. It's like their putting practice games above games that actually count. And live Sportscenter from Jets training camp? I mean come on, really? All of this had made me mad at ESPN and the NFL even though it's not really the NFL's fault. The NBA also seems to get a lot of attention too even though it's the smallest of the top three American sports.

Eagles fan here.

This is an issue that goes off the radar often but does anyone fear that the replacement officials (the normal officials are going through a lock out) will be crummy and affect gameplay?

Semi-Off topic: Does anyone feel that the NFL gets too much attention by ESPN? Whenever I want to see the baseball highlights on Sportscenter I have to sit through all of this NFL preseason garbage. It's like their putting practice games above games that actually count. And live Sportscenter from Jets training camp? I mean come on, really? All of this had made me mad at ESPN and the NFL even though it's not really the NFL's fault. The NBA also seems to get a lot of attention too even though it's the smallest of the top three American sports.

The replacements are definitely going to be a huge problem if the NFL can't get a deal done. In the HOF game there was a coin toss where the ref said the Saints won the toss, and then almost a minute later, he changed it to the Cardinals having won it. Imagine that happening in a playoff game or turning overtime. Smh.

I'm not a big baseball guy myself, so I can't speak for them. However, NFL preseason games are somewhat important for the non-starters and rookies cause it determines whether they'll be getting signed throughout the year. They have only about 4-8 quarters worth of play to prove they can make a contribution and try to not be out of a job for a year. I personally find them interesting to watch just for this purpose; a ton of NFL stars now used to be backups and were almost cut (Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, etc.)

It might also be popularity and endorsements; I've always thought NFL and NBA were more popular among Americans, so it might be just to attract viewers and bump up ratings as well.

Eagles fan here.

I think it inevitably will affect games. For the sake of the integrity of the game they need to get a deal done. :/

I'm not a big baseball guy myself, so I can't speak for them. However, NFL preseason games are somewhat important for the non-starters and rookies cause it determines whether they'll be getting signed throughout the year. They have only about 4-8 quarters worth of play to prove they can make a contribution and try to not be out of a job for a year. I personally find them interesting to watch just for this purpose; a ton of NFL stars now used to be backups and were almost cut (Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, etc.)

It might also be popularity and endorsements; I've always thought NFL and NBA were more popular among Americans, so it might be just to attract viewers and bump up ratings as well.

Yeah, preseason games are important, but the regular season will always be more important than the preseason. Anyway, it's not like they treat spring training games with the same importance (although there are more of them and they do have a bus tour where they examine each team).

I remember reading somewhere that the most popular leagues in America were (in order):

1. NFL

2. NCAA Football (I-A of whatever)

3. MLB

4. NBA

So even though popularity explains all of the NFL coverage, it does not explain NBA coverage. This is why I think the ESPN guys have a bit of a bias.

I remember reading somewhere that the most popular leagues in America were (in order):

1. NFL

2. NCAA Football (I-A of whatever)

3. MLB

4. NBA

So even though popularity explains all of the NFL coverage, it does not explain NBA coverage. This is why I think the ESPN guys have a bit of a bias.

It could also be because NBA is popular around the world, like in China and Taiwan (Jeremy Lin, Yao Ming). All of those people who tune into ESPN internationally have an impact too.

I personally prefer NCAA over NFL, but the sheer number of schools make it hard sometimes finding a game you want to watch.

I personally prefer NCAA over NFL, but the sheer number of schools make it hard sometimes finding a game you want to watch.

Yeah same here. College football always made New Years day fun even though it was always the last day of winter break. I'm mainly a Penn State fan though so it's been a rough year. Getting kind of sick of people "joking around" calling me a child rapist whenever I wear a Penn State t-shirt.

It's going to be weird calling Peyton a Bronco, but I guess I will have to get used to it. Which rookie quarterback will turn out better: Luck or Griffin? Luck looked like he would be the next Dan Marino in college, but then again it was just college. Griffin looks pretty good as well but Heisman trophy winners never seem to pan out that well in the NFL.

Edited by Sobend

Me personally, I think that RG3 is the more dynamic one; his skills are arguably almost the same as Michael Vick, and he has that mature personality around him too. However, it'll probably take him more time to develop, seeing as he's being run by Mike Shanahan, who probably jumped on RG3 this year in the draft hoping to save his job. Short term wise, Luck will have the better stats since he's had more of a pro-offensive experience in college. Essentially, he was like mini-Peyton at Stanford, calling the plays as he saw it.

I'm rather scared that Peyton's neck might not be up to the sacks and hits he'll end up taking in the regular season; I'd hate to all the bonuses he's been paid so far and even worse the neck injury becoming life-threatening or causing paralysis. :o

I'm a Jets fan and have been for quite a long time, it's got nothing to do with Tebow. Really hope they turn things around with the game against Carolina today.

I agree with you 100%. The only time ESPN gives baseball a lot of coverage is if it's a Yankees and Red Sox series.

Really hoping the Pats will make it back to the Superbowl this year. The defense has improved enough that it won't be as much of a liability this year and Tom Brady has a few new weapons to work with too. The only slight concern is the offensive line, but I don't see how the Patriots can not win the division.

Starting to really love Russell Wilson too.

Yeah, Russell Wilson was definitely a surprise for me. He played well at North Carolina State but I wouldn't surprised if he got the start over Matt Flynn at some point. Bet Flynn's wishing he's signed with Miami now instead.

I think he deserves to start from day one. The Seahawks have a very good team and I really see them challenging for the playoffs this year.

What do you guys think of Kevin Kolb's progress so far? Do you think he should be given the job at Week 1 over John Skelton, if merely to justify everything they gave up to get him from Philly?

What do you guys think of Kevin Kolb's progress so far? Do you think he should be given the job at Week 1 over John Skelton, if merely to justify everything they gave up to get him from Philly?

Kolb is horrible as is Skelton, Arizona and Fitz is doomed

I doubt it'll be long before the Cards get desperate and trade for someone instead.

I had begun to think Flynn may end up going to Arizona once Wilson is starting for Seattle, but Tarvaris Jackson's been traded to the Bills so it's even less likely he will.

Feel pretty sorry for Larry Fitzgerald though - talent going completely to waste.

I'm guessing they will start Kolb. They are paying him a ton of money and so far it has not worked out.

What surprise me is last year when Fitzgerald still put up 1000+ yards with a rotation of at least 4 quarterbacks who couldn't throw for any of the money they were paid. And he still made the Pro Bowl.

Russell Wilson also seems to have gotten the official start for Week 1, so we'll see how they turns out. I'm thinking Flynn will ask for a trade or release once he heals from his sore elbow. Who knows, maybe he'll go to Arizona.

Is Mike Wallace gonna report to Pittsburgh?

I'm gonna feel stupid for drafting him

'Expected' Tuesday: http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/2012/8/27/3271738/mike-wallace-steelers-holdout

I considered drafting Vick in one of my leagues, but was glad I didn't after his injuries already (in preseason too). The Eagles might've jumped the gun on his $100 million contract last year.

What surprise me is last year when Fitzgerald still put up 1000+ yards with a rotation of at least 4 quarterbacks who couldn't throw for any of the money they were paid. And he still made the Pro Bowl.

Russell Wilson also seems to have gotten the official start for Week 1, so we'll see how they turns out. I'm thinking Flynn will ask for a trade or release once he heals from his sore elbow. Who knows, maybe he'll go to Arizona.

I had thought Flynn could end up in Arizona but with Tarvaris Jackson in Buffalo now I'm not sure how happy the Seahawks would be letting him go. I was a little surprised Jackson left - I'd begun to expect Jackson to be Wilson's backup and Flynn to be traded.

Aaron Hernandez has a big new contract with the Pats - can't help but think this spells the end for Welker's tenure.

I have a feeling Flynn'll still be given the opportunity to try and win the starting job, depending on Wilson's performance in the next few weeks. He's got a lot of money riding in his contract plus that 6-TD performance last Week 17 so it should give him some leverage.

And yeah, I think Welker'll have to put up much better numbers than Gronk or anyone else if he wants to stay with the Pats. Assuming Kraft doesn't throw him a new contract anytime soon.

Personally I hope the Titans do well so Jake Locker and CJ2K put up big fantasy points for me.

Gonna change the thread name to reflect both pro and college discussion.