Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
thepope1322

Obama has millions of fake Twitter followers

http://content.usato.../1#.UDgAYNZlS4m

President Obama's Twitter account has 18.8 million followers -- but more than half of them really don't exist, according to reports.

A new Web tool has determined that 70% of Obama's crowd includes "fake followers," The New York Times reports in a story about how Twitter followers can be purchased.

"The practice has become so widespread that StatusPeople, a social media management company in London, released a Web tool last month called the Fake Follower Check that it says can ascertain how many fake followers you and your friends have," the Times reports.

"Fake accounts tend to follow a lot of people but have few followers," said Rob Waller, a founder of StatusPeople. "We then combine that with a few other metrics to confirm the account is fake."

Notes the Times:

If accurate, the number of fake followers out there is surprising. According to the StatusPeople tool, 71 percent of Lady Gaga's nearly 29 million followers are "fake" or "inactive." So are 70 percent of President Obama's nearly 19 million followers.

Edited by theking1322

I suppose it's not a ridiculous proposition, but it'd surprise me if this was actually the case. After all, he is the fudging POTUS.

This better go in every political advertisement against Obama.

EDIT: Ah, sorry, I realized I forgot to denote my sarcasm by use of -.-.

Edited by Guitarguy

According to the StatusPeople tool, 71 percent of Lady Gaga's nearly 29 million followers are "fake" or "inactive."

So really, 'fake' accounts are just inactive accounts?

How many fake followers does Romney have?

I don't really mind this. It's not like he actually sends the tweets, I'm guessing he has some represenative send out tweets (correct me if I'm wrong).

Could they be accounts that got deactivated but haven't been removed from the Followers list? I find that often happens sometimes when I click on an @ and it says 'error' or something.

It's pretty funny considering Obama's whole 2008 campaign was based around embracing social media.

And come on, I understand some inactive accounts but 70%? Really?

Edited by theking1322

It's pretty funny considering Obama's whole 2008 campaign was based around embracing social media.

Doesn't seem that unrealistic. New social media users are most likely to start following things they're most familiar with first and then they may think it's cool for a week or so and just quit.

If I remember correctly, Obama is one of the suggested accounts when you make a new account (I think when you click the Politics or News section, I haven't made an account in a while) so many may sign up, follow him and then leave. When Twitter broke the first major land mile in tweets (a million, a hundred million maybe) the average tweets per user was zero. There are a hell of a lot of empty accounts.

Also, if the campaign was about embracing social media a lot of people who don't usually use Twitter or the like may have signed up to show support/follow and since left or not done anything with that account. I follow the election from the outside so I don't get to see a lot of the campaign crap.

That said, I don't really care about this news, it doesn't really matter.

Yeah...no, sorry. If 71% of Lady Gaga's followers are "fake" then there's just a fundamental flaw with twitter followers in general. But keep up the Obama hate for stupid shizzle because it never gets old.

I don't really mind this. It's not like he actually sends the tweets, I'm guessing he has some represenative send out tweets (correct me if I'm wrong).

It's a combination. His twitter is run by the campaign, although he does periodically tweet himself. (his tweets are signed -bo) http://twitter.com/barackobama

For example:

Neil Armstrong was a hero not just of his time, but of all time. Thank you, Neil, for showing us the power of one small step. -bo

This was tweeted by Barack, himself.

Stuff like this:

Make sure the women in your life know: pic.twitter.com/u2mMNQZz

is tweeted by the people running his 2012 campaign.

Also, Romney has ~915,000 followers and it is estimated that 144,000 of these followers are "fake".