Sal's RuneScape Forum
Desireful

Obama Administration Unveils New Fuel-Efficiency Standards

The Obama administration announced new fuel efficiency standards that require cars in the United States to average 54.5 miles per gallon by the year 2025.

As the Detroit Free-Press reports, President Obama got this process rolling in 2010, when he asked the EPA and the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to come up with standards that would lead to new and cleaner cars on the road

Further reading: http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2012/08/28/160172356/reports-obama-administration-will-unveil-new-fuel-efficiency-standards?ft=1&f=1001&sc=tw&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Regulations -.-

Edited by theking1322

When fascism will come to America, it will be on a nifty electrical scooter -.-

EIN FUHRER, EIN REICH, EIN RENEWEABLE ENERGY SOURCE

WOLLT IHR DEN SOLAR PANELS?!

(now wait until someone takes us seriously)

Edited by Arianna

WOLLT IHR DEN SOLAR PANELS?!

(now wait until someone takes us seriously)

WARUM SIND WIR SCHREIEN?

Fully support. If we aren't extinct by 2025

That crafty Obama. He's just making his campaign look better so that he'll get re-elected, when in reality the world will end by the end of 2012! -.-

In all seriousness, such regulations are unnecessary. The inevitable rise in gas prices (they will never come down to, say, 90s levels) will push consumers towards more fuel-efficient cars anyway. Obama's effort is well-meaning but just places an unnecessary burden on the auto industry.

Edited by theking1322

Hey! Hey! Idea!

How about, instead of trying to string along gasoline to 2025 we start working on biofuels that don't require a new kind of engine and work in gasoline engines?

Then we can have our 2.5 mpg supercars with 15,000 horsepower at the crank and not be unnecessarily hurting the environment!

Oh…was that too logical for the public?

Edited by Georgia Sparkle

In all seriousness, such regulations are unnecessary. The inevitable rise in gas prices (they will never come down to, say, 90s levels) will push consumers towards more fuel-efficient cars anyway. Obama's effort is well-meaning but just places an unnecessary burden on the auto industry.

People will demand more fuel-efficient cars anyway, so the regulations are unnecessary.

These regulations will put a burden on the auto industry to meet these standards.

*eyes glaze over*

The regulations ARE unnecessary, but they're more about getting some business back to Detroit (and thus pleasing the union bosses who so handsomely donate to the DNC). I do not support. Not because I don't agree with the goal (because I do) but rather because I disagree with the mandate system. That, and it hampers free trade and fudges with our foreign policy. The last 11 years of foreign policy seem to have been about scaring the commodities exchange to increase oil prices.

Edit: Typo: meant RNC, not DNC.

Edited by Bob-sama

People will demand more fuel-efficient cars anyway, so the regulations are unnecessary.

These regulations will put a burden on the auto industry to meet these standards.

*eyes glaze over*

This.

Also, I'm assuming that's highway. lol

Fully support. If we aren't extinct by 2025

That crafty Obama. He's just making his campaign look better so that he'll get re-elected, when in reality the world will end by the end of 2012! -.-

Why would he care then, since his term won't expire at the time the world should end?

The regulations ARE unnecessary, but they're more about getting some business back to Detroit (and thus pleasing the union bosses who so handsomely donate to the RNC). I do not support. Not because I don't agree with the goal (because I do) but rather because I disagree with the mandate system. That, and it hampers free trade and fudges with our foreign policy. The last 11 years of foreign policy seem to have been about scaring the commodities exchange to increase oil prices.

Um…since when were unions donating to the GOP? That's news to me.

The regulations ARE unnecessary, but they're more about getting some business back to Detroit (and thus pleasing the union bosses who so handsomely donate to the RNC). I do not support. Not because I don't agree with the goal (because I do) but rather because I disagree with the mandate system. That, and it hampers free trade and fudges with our foreign policy. The last 11 years of foreign policy seem to have been about scaring the commodities exchange to increase oil prices.

I obviously meant the DNC.

I obviously meant the DNC.

WELL WE HAVE TO TAKE YOU AT YOUR WORD HURHURHURHURHUR

Hey! Hey! Idea!

How about, instead of trying to string along gasoline to 2025 we start working on biofuels that don't require a new kind of engine and work in gasoline engines?

Then we can have our 2.5 mpg supercars with 15,000 horsepower at the crank and not be unnecessarily hurting the environment!

Biofuels seem like such a great idea but it's really, really, really not helping global food prices. So yes, it would help the environment, but at the cost of human life that I doubt we'd want to try and stomach.

Hey! Hey! Idea!

Biofuels seem like such a great idea but it's really, really, really not helping global food prices. So yes, it would help the environment, but at the cost of human life that I doubt we'd want to try and stomach.

Corn biofuels are garbage. If you want good biofuels you have to go looking at what the Brazilians are doing (ramping up sugar production to meet demand and now having sugar-based biofuels) or the SwiftFuel people who are making actual synthetic gasoline out of different types of biomass that requires no crop material to make said fuels.

American policymakers are just not creative when it comes to biofuels. And that's embarrassing, because Brazil, a majority-world nation, is beating us.

I think if American car companies went out of business, we'd all be in better shape. Their 17 mph cars vs Honda's lovely 35-40mpg cars... Not to mention durability, affordability, repair costs... We suck. ;_;

Yeah nothing is better than less competition! Plus Japanese cars are about as fun as driving around a washing machine. No soul.

I think if American car companies went out of business, we'd all be in better shape. Their 17 mph cars vs Honda's lovely 35-40mpg cars... Not to mention durability, affordability, repair costs... We suck. ;_;

Yeah nothing is better than less competition! Plus Japanese cars are about as fun as driving around a washing machine. No soul.

Face it - if you could, you would totally go down the highway riding a washing machine.

lol, I don't know what automotive press you've been reading, but Ford is now a world-class automaker. They also lead American manufacturers in fuel economy, reliability, durability, etc.

Edited by Georgia Sparkle

lol, I don't know what automotive press you've been reading, but Ford is now a world-class automaker. They also lead American manufacturers in fuel economy, reliability, durability, etc.

Was looking for new (used) cars to buy. Which ones are the good ones? I need to know! (And are they affordable like the $2000 I could pay to get a Honda with 33 highway? Not to mention cost of replacement parts, which from what I've heard is about 30% of American vehicles.)

Dunno if there's enough that are dated enough for that yet.

There's some that are getting close though, Motor Trend (which is notorious for its pro-Japan bias) said “Ford is back” with the 2004 Fusion.

Competition hasn't exactly pushed them to perform better. Too many people that care about soul I guess. :cute:

In what aspect hasn't competition forced improvement? Chevrolet comes out with a V6 Camaro that pushes 300 HP and gets ~30 MPG, forces Ford to quit dicking around with Mustangs and actually put effort into raising the quality.

Both companies are also trying to out-piss each other on the family sedan market too. Trying to squeeze every possible HP and MPG out of every car that they can. Just on the American side competition has fueled great progress in the last 10 years.

Was looking for new (used) cars to buy. Which ones are the good ones? I need to know! (And are they affordable like the $2000 I could pay to get a Honda with 33 highway? Not to mention cost of replacement parts, which from what I've heard is about 30% of American vehicles.)

I bought my Ford Mustang for $3100 w/ 152k miles, and only had to replace the fuel pump and windshield. Now has ~180k miles. Gets 27 highway if I don't drive 80.

American cars can get the job done just as well as foreign cars if you don't treat them like ass. Look at the demographics of people who own foreign cars (Toyota, Honda, etc.) to those who own American cars (Ford, Mopar, Chevy...). There inlies the problem with reliability. It's who owns the car is the problem. After a little searching, I really couldn't find the breakdown I was looking for, that covers everything from gender to race, ethnicity, location, and income. There is a reason car stereotypes exist, though. There's a reason a Corvette is considered a middle-age crisis car. Or Impalas are cars typically owned by African Americans.

http://backfires.caranddriver.com/forums/53/posts/59236-demographics-stereotypes Found this pretty funny also.

The Mustang was already improving with the 2004 generation.

The current generation still beats the pants off the competition until you get up to the top-of-the-line models—the V6 and SS Camaros are huffing and puffing against their V6 and GT counterparts.

Performance-wise, the GT500 still pretty much blows the doors off the ZL1, but testers report the Camaro's brake feel is better.

The Mustang also has a very high level of trim quality, especially considering that the V6 can be had for $21,000 or less in most areas. The GT with Performance Package is available for order at my local Ford dealer for $26k, and that can outperform a new 3 Series and has the build quality to match.

Did I mention the part where venture capitalists got Ford out of its former financial difficulties?