Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Kemosabe

Web Design

No way near Fatalysm's level, this is my first time designing a website. This is a project I'm doing for ICT. There's things in there I want to change, but neither have the knowledge or just can't get working to my liking. Constructive criticism would be very nice. :)

z0PfB.png

That's better than I can do; but that isn't saying much. It looks good to me...I can't really criticize it, partially because I can't even read most of that (due to not knowing the language, not because of format/color)

Poor humor: heh...ICT...get it? I see Tea. :D

Edited by chaosor

Very good start! Much better than my first websites, and probably better than some of my current designs :P! You're a natural at this, so keep it up and you'll be there in no time, to give you a very good start though, you might just want to look at a couple tutorials. Get a feel for the sort of effects you can use, it'll help you a ton.

Okay, some quick notes here to help you.

You can use the navigation as it is, but using images for a navigation can be frustrating and using code is much better for that. The problem with the navigation, if you wanted to change it would be that your font isn't going to be easy to use without images. Either that or you can code in the font, but it's still putting a strain on any person who wants to view your site. Default fonts are much more useful, by default I mean fonts that everyone's PC uses and can understand.

Your contrast is good, but I'm not a fan of the yellow borders. I'd go for something much more web 2.0. The amount of text on the page isn't going to help you either. People naturally digest small chunks of text alot better. Use the whole "read more" technique for that. Your grids are pretty good but you've probably already figured that your grids are too big. You've got a huge gap where your advert goes.

I like your search bar, it's quite nice at the top there, but you might want to think about placing it differently. Just feels a little odd with all that space around it.

Your submenu/nav font is terrible and doesn't flow well with the layout. The colors seem very vivid but don't blend well. I would go with more tones of grey rather than a stark yellow. Also, your content area is very empty and the ad on the right is very large for being what it is. Try looking at the web interfaces on deviantart, they are some of the best of the best.

I agree with Fatalysm and Beret - the main issue that sticks out to me is the contrasting white/yellow/black, though. Good start!

There's nothing to balance the picture in the top right hand, search bar is out of place, and the yellow comes out of nowhere.

I don't know a darn thing about web design. :glasses:

The hardest thing about web design is getting everything to actually look like how you want it, for me at least