Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Salmoneus

LEAKED! Here's The White House's Draft Cybersecurity Executive Order

There is, as expected, plans concerning information sharing -- but again, they're left pretty empty on specifics. It talks about an "information exchange framework." Unfortunately, it does not appear to highlight privacy or civil liberties concerns in discussing the information sharing stuff. That seems like a pretty big problem. Homeland Security is tasked with coming up with a way to share information, pulling on some existing efforts, but nowhere do they call out how to make sure these information exchange programs don't lead to massive privacy violations, despite the President's earlier promises that any cybersecurity efforts would take into account privacy and civil liberties.

Source: https://www.techdirt...ive-order.shtml

Just like on the subjects of war & government transparency, Obama has reneged on his promises. For people who want peace, privacy, equal rights, and no corruption--he's a massive disappointment. We've "withdrawn" from Iraq (leaving behind the largest embassy staffed with many thousands of Americans), we're still fighting in Afghanistan, Gitmo is still open, whistleblowers are being prosecuted as the administration goes on a new "fog of disinformation" program, and American citizens are being murdered overseas without trial. You could go on and on with other promises Obama broke. The only one he's kept is Obamacare.

Aaaaannnnnddddddd......cue a massive drop in Obama's overall support. :closedeyes:

You could go on and on with other promises Obama broke.

I think that may be universal with all presidents.

GEORGE WASHINGTON NEVER TOLD A LIE!

You could go on and on with other promises Obama broke.

I think that may be universal with all presidents.

I don't remember a President who's made such sweeping promises and come up so empty before, though.

The mistake Obama made was that he put himself up as a game-changer, and has come out as “barely adequate.”

Gitmo is still open,

Off topic, but I don't see the problem with Guantanamo staying open. If anything it's better than closing it.

Government regulated internet security thingy? This can't be good.

Gitmo is still open,

Off topic, but I don't see the problem with Guantanamo staying open. If anything it's better than closing it.

The problem is they're still putting people in there, just because they're suspected.

I don't remember a President who's made such sweeping promises and come up so empty before, though.

This is a hallmark of American politics, and is largely a product of the election environment rather than individual morals. To lambaste Obama over broken promises is... just wrong in my opinion.

http://en.wikipedia....Broken_promises

Unfortunately the US doesnt stand alone, or even in the lead in this.

Grand electoral promises that are later deferred due to budget constraints, ignored because they have a "mandate" ( often for things "We'd never do to our electorate!"), modified beyond recognition, or just plain forgotten among many other excuses are a hallmark of the modern western democratic system. Modern politics & politicians is/are a show to keep the populus busy, amused & bemused while the real action continues behind the scenes.

I do not see how an executive order is going to legitimize violating the bill of rights.

Even if liberty and privacy issues were addressed, bureaucacies of that size cannot be controlled.

Or even be somewhat failsafe, especially if money can be made (or power obtained)

by sharing (or manipulating) some of this information. Uunoffically or otherwise.