MguLs.jpg

This is what NYC should do with the flooded subway system

MguLs.jpg

watch out for the toilet alligators

This is what NYC should do with the flooded subway system

MguLs.jpg

If it includes Venetian profanity, I'm all for it

If it includes Venetian profanity, I'm all for it

New York profanity + Venetian profanity = ???

I live two and a half blocks from the bay in New Jersey, water came up to my neighbors house so I got really lucky. I have been without power for a while, and more importantly, without internet. Luckily I got a generator a few years ago, and it has served us well this year and last. My family in union beach was not so lucky, house damaged heavily and tons of things ruined. Getting gas is a nightmare. Friends down the street from me have their house condemned, some had most of their home washed away. Many places I have come to know and love, or have fond memories of, are either gone. Keansburg amusement park is damaged to the point that it may never open up again, and even so, it will never be close to the same. Iconic features of the jersey shore (and not just seaside and point pleasant, didnt really care for those anyways) are gone. Everything has changed. This is the worst thing I have ever seen irl.

whats really sickening is that we are going to rebuild and not address any of the problems that allowed for this to happen. We arent going to get better infrastructure, etc.

also as a side complaint the police here really suck at directing traffic. It's not that hard to do.. There are some citizens looking for something to do, let them do it. It would save everyone time.

I have been without power for a while, and more importantly, without internet.

Uh...

I...

nvm

Edited by theking1322

I have been without power for a while, and more importantly, without internet.

Uh...

I...

nvm

Smartphone. Today I managed to get to a friends house about an hour away that has real internet and power.

I live two and a half blocks from the bay in New Jersey, water came up to my neighbors house so I got really lucky. I have been without power for a while, and more importantly, without internet. Luckily I got a generator a few years ago, and it has served us well this year and last. My family in union beach was not so lucky, house damaged heavily and tons of things ruined. Getting gas is a nightmare. Friends down the street from me have their house condemned, some had most of their home washed away. Many places I have come to know and love, or have fond memories of, are either gone. Keansburg amusement park is damaged to the point that it may never open up again, and even so, it will never be close to the same. Iconic features of the jersey shore (and not just seaside and point pleasant, didnt really care for those anyways) are gone. Everything has changed. This is the worst thing I have ever seen irl.

whats really sickening is that we are going to rebuild and not address any of the problems that allowed for this to happen. We arent going to get better infrastructure, etc.

also as a side complaint the police here really suck at directing traffic. It's not that hard to do.. There are some citizens looking for something to do, let them do it. It would save everyone time.

Sorry to hear that. :( Hope you get your power back soon though.

The after effects: Mile-long lines of cars parked on the streets and on the highways. Highways are literally lined with cars lining up to the gas stations. I filled up my tank before thankfully but this is terrifying.

Overrated; it's only going to cause inconvenience but not much destruction. My power was out for awhile but was recently fixed. It'll probably go out again in a couple of minutes. :mellow:

You clearly don't live in central New England.

You're right; I live west of Philadelphia near where the storm went onto land though. So I'm not some outsider who doesn't know what they're talking about here.

"Not much destruction" was probably the wrong choice of words, but like anything the local and national media overplayed this one in my opinion. Excluding the shore areas (which had major issues) the biggest problems were only power outages. Most of the pictures of inland destruction were very isolated incidents. Tons of houses were out of power however. I was lucky and at night my power never went out for more than a minute. I feel for all of my friends who own houses on the Jersey shore though :P.

Right, 39 people dead and counting is no big deal. :rolleyes:

Though I feel bad for the victims and their families, the death toll from the storm is the least impressive statistic. 39 deaths in a region of millions is actually not too impressive. In the same time that 39 people died from the Hurricane, elsewhere 39 people probably died from some other odd cause. In fact, the hurricane probably saved lives. It kept people off the streets, so nobody got killed in car crashes, murders, etc.

In hindsight I underestimated the hurricane (I was basing this off of the media's prior coverage of storms similar to this one), but the death toll does not do much to impress when you think about all of the people dying from other things.

Edited by Sobend

From what I've heard, gas stations are definitely not doing well. Lines that can take up to 3-hour waits which result in a limit of maybe $20 of gas.

Also, there's this tree near where I live that fell down. I fudgeing liked that tree.

There are fights breaking out. Literally hundreds and hundreds of cars lined up on the highway. I can't even imagine this going on much longer because I refuse to get involved in that.

i guess you could say....

america was blown away

YEAHHHHHHHHHH

Oh you cheeky guy you

Sounds pretty bad. Dutch news channels don't make it seem quite so bad, so I'm surprised by what I'm reading.

america was blown away

YEAHHHHHHHHHH

Oh you cheeky guy you

Sounds pretty bad. Dutch news channels don't make it seem quite so bad, so I'm surprised by what I'm reading.

That's because otherwise you guys would look at the dams keeping your polders dry AND PLUNGE INTO DESPAIR

america was blown away

YEAHHHHHHHHHH

Oh you cheeky guy you

That's because otherwise you guys would look at the dams keeping your polders dry AND PLUNGE INTO DESPAIR

No, we'd look at them with little euro signs in our eyes, given that we're apparently world leaders in keeping water out. After all, we do have an entire province that didn't exist until we decided to throw a bunch of sand in the sea :P

Finally got power and internet back about an hour ago. New Jersey is rationing gas (odd/even like in the seventies). We are screwed for a while because the ports to bring in gas are damaged and many refineries are in New Jersey and offline. Sandy really did a number

In the end, I only lost internet for a couple minutes.

Go figure.

New York is very bad from what I heard.

Media won't show it. :/

BTW, I saw this topic and I was like wth, isn't Sandy gone? :o

Gas shortage seems to be over here and things are starting to return to normal (power wise). Still so much destruction. Not a fan of these hurricanes.

Not a fan of these hurricanes.
I'm not sure if there would be fans of these hurricanes... :P

I totally disagree, surely hard-core scorpion fans?

[4/5]

Edited by Lonely

I totally disagree, surely hard-core scorpion fans?

[4/5]

They didn't say there were hurricanes, they'd just rock you in a fashion similar to a hurricane's effects, not much else.