Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Aabid

Is Windows 8 better than Windows 7

The first thing I do when I boot up my computer is (90% of the time) open Google Chrome and browse the Internet. I've got a Chrome icon on my Start screen, and so as soon as the OS boots I click on that. It makes absolutely no difference should I boot into the desktop by default.

People need to stop complaining about the Start Screen. If you take the time to set it up correctly, it won't make you waste any more time than if you booted straight to desktop.

Why they didn't just make a tablet and a not tablet edition, I have literally no idea. It's literally all they needed to do to make Win8 Win7 2.0.

Perhaps it's this sort of logical thought and ability to comprehend that users telling you your UI ideas should have been abandoned long ago that will ensure that i'm never a higher up in Microsoft.

They did not make a desktop version because they wanted to unify the experience across Microsoft products. Look at an Xbox, a Windows Phone, a Windows 8 tablet and a Windows 8 PC - what do they have in common? The UI.

I honestly think this UI looks really nice, but I haven't actually gotten the chance to properly use it yet.

Also, it's not generally the companies that have spoken out against Windows 8 in general; it's specific people who have spoken out against certain aspects of the platform. Gabe Newell was complaining about Windows 8 moving to a walled garden approach, not about the OS itself.

For everyone nice doggy!ing that windows 8 is "Vista 2" or some other junk is just being silly, you spend at max like 5-10 seconds in metro, also with the boot times being significantly faster and there being better gaming performance, albeit only about 5% or so. And the fact that you can get ti fro $15 bucks through February there is zero reason not to upgrade.

Minus that whole "any time saved in performance is lost to a UI that was designed for tablets."

No, it's not worth the upgrade unless you have a tablet. Even with things like Classic Shell, the OS is a complete step backwards and I can only venture a guess as to who at MIcrosoft thought this colossal screw up was a good idea. Also the changes made to

Why they didn't just make a tablet and a not tablet edition, I have literally no idea. It's literally all they needed to do to make Win8 Win7 2.0.

Perhaps it's this sort of logical thought and ability to comprehend that users telling you your UI ideas should have been abandoned long ago that will ensure that i'm never a higher up in Microsoft.

Here's looking forward to Win9.

I hope you realize just how stupid you sound with a statement like that. Not only do you boot faster but if you have half a brain and can set up the start screen with apps you use most often; ie: how you would set up your desktop its actually faster than booting into the desktop...

"Much better what" means what? :o

BTW, my dad watched cricket on online streams. Lately, its been lagging a lot.

If I get a new PC, will it improve or not?

Thanks!

Thanks!

its because your internet is horrible dude, nothing to do with your computer most likely

For everyone nice doggy!ing that windows 8 is "Vista 2" or some other junk is just being silly, you spend at max like 5-10 seconds in metro, also with the boot times being significantly faster and there being better gaming performance, albeit only about 5% or so. And the fact that you can get ti fro $15 bucks through February there is zero reason not to upgrade.

Minus that whole "any time saved in performance is lost to a UI that was designed for tablets."

No, it's not worth the upgrade unless you have a tablet. Even with things like Classic Shell, the OS is a complete step backwards and I can only venture a guess as to who at MIcrosoft thought this colossal screw up was a good idea. Also the changes made to

I hope you realize just how stupid you sound with a statement like that. Not only do you boot faster but if you have half a brain and can set up the start screen with apps you use most often; ie: how you would set up your desktop its actually faster than booting into the desktop...

I experimented a bit with Win8. Whatever time I was saving was spent doing extra annoying things here and there that I wouldn't have to do in Windows 7. Even if I were saving time, the fact was that I was getting frustrated which is never a good thing.

The boot time advantage is a fairly moot point seeing as I can go do other things in that overall meager time span.

I'll be waitin' for 9 when Microsoft starts to realize they screwed up and need more money to cover up for the wasted R&D on this Vista rehash.

They did not make a desktop version because they wanted to unify the experience across Microsoft products. Look at an Xbox, a Windows Phone, a Windows 8 tablet and a Windows 8 PC - what do they have in common? The UI.

I honestly think this UI looks really nice, but I haven't actually gotten the chance to properly use it yet.

Also, it's not generally the companies that have spoken out against Windows 8 in general; it's specific people who have spoken out against certain aspects of the platform. Gabe Newell was complaining about Windows 8 moving to a walled garden approach, not about the OS itself.

iOS and OS X have very similar UIs but they're not the same and they sure as hell haven't modified OS X to be a tablet OS and thrown it on iPads when the vast majority of their users are distinctly NOT tablet users.

It is one incredibly sad day when I have to point to what Apple does as what Microsoft should be doing.

Edited by Sax

I experimented a bit with Win8. Whatever time I was saving was spent doing extra annoying things here and there that I wouldn't have to do in Windows 7. Even if I were saving time, the fact was that I was getting frustrated which is never a good thing.

The boot time advantage is a fairly moot point seeing as I can go do other things in that overall meager time span.

I'll be waitin' for 9 when Microsoft starts to realize they screwed up and need more money to cover up for the wasted R&D on this Vista rehash.

iOS and OS X have very similar UIs but they're not the same and they sure as hell haven't modified OS X to be a tablet OS and thrown it on iPads when the vast majority of their users are distinctly NOT tablet users.

It is one incredibly sad day when I have to point to what Apple does as what Microsoft should be doing.

iOS and Mac OSX don't have nearly as many similarities between UI's as the Windows ecosystem.

Also, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Vista was not actually bad.

could you elaborate on that, im curious

Thanks!

Thats not lag, that's just what cricket is actually like.

You like to spout hyperboles, don't you? Windows 8 is a great OS, much improved over Windows 7. Why do you hate it so much?

Thanks!

Thats not lag, that's just what cricket is actually like.

TROLOLOL

K.

I will not be home boxing day.

What processor should I tell him to get?

I just need to play LoL.

BTW, what is the difference between bad Internet and a bad PC?

Why does my screen randomly turn off. It happens at like 6:00. Just blinks a black and then turns back on. Three days in a row now.

Why am I getting way more ping this weekend on LoL? (141 compared to 89)

Will LoL work on Windows 8?

Ty.

I'm convinced I want Windows 8 now.

Personally I think Windows 8 is an overglorified tablet OS and sucks, but suit yourself.

Also, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Vista was not actually bad.

I don't even know how to respond to this.

uwotm8?

Personally I think Windows 8 is an overglorified tablet OS and sucks, but suit yourself.

This guy.

Vista wasn't bad, and definitely not nearly as bad as people say it was. Overhyped, perhaps. There were issues, no doubt. But I've used plenty of computers with vista, and I've never found the experience lacking. I preferred it to XP.

Coolest feature of Windows 8 is when you shut down, it's a combined hibernate/shutdown. It hibernates system files, but closes user files. So the whole system doesn't need to turn on from scratch, it's ready to go.

You guys take this stuff too seriously. It's an OS, relax.

uwotm8?

This guy.

elaborate on the little things you end up doing, the part i bolded

What processor should I tell my dad to get?

Whats the bare minimum for intel and amd?

I just need to play LoL.

BTW, what is the difference between bad Internet and a bad PC?

Why am I getting way more ping this weekend on LoL? (141 compared to 89)

Will LoL work on Windows 8?

TYTYTY :D

Aabid please, please just read some wikipedia. I want you to have a general knowledge of these things.

better yet go to Reddit, search r/buildapc post all your questions there, look at the side bar and the guides and shizzle, enjoy.

Aabid please, please just read some wikipedia. I want you to have a general knowledge of these things.

better yet go to Reddit, search r/buildapc post all your questions there, look at the side bar and the guides and shizzle, enjoy.

I don't want Sal's to die completely....

I don't want Sal's to die completely....

lets be honest though, he'd get way more help there and a lot more info; seeing as the voice of reason lately has been like you, me, Bob and a few others lol