Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
NeckChamp

Clarification on the "Life" of Runescape.

So lately I've been noticing displeasure among Runescapers across the game, all these talks about Runescape isn't what it used to be, ya know, all that jazz...

My question (which could spark discussion) is:

Is Runescape REALLY dying? Or is it growing? What's the health of it? Will this game ALWAYS be here??

-Moos

I do think that activity on RuneScape is not what it used to be. However, this is the same with all video games - eventually a newer, better one comes along and players gravitate towards that.

I've played for over 9 years, somewhat sad I know. The game is very different now than when it started, but if it hadn't changed or adapted then it wouldn't have ever gained anywhere near the popularity it has.

I may not go as far as to say that is it dying but that the activity is at least in a slump. It's health is not so great, but that could easily change. Nothing lasts forever, so I wouldn't say it will "always" be here but the game might last for another decade. Who knows.

I think it is dying, due to bad management. The membership figures have fallen drastically after EoC (we will see the full impact of this in about a month, when people like me who are playing out remains of their their cancelled memberships have gone), and Jagex are hemorrhaging cash funding lots of other failed/cancelled indefinitely delayed projects. Runescape players have paid, and are still paying for for the development costs of 8 Realms, Mechscape, Stellar Dawn and the long overdue Transformers MMO, which is a huge financial drain for not much financial return.

I'm not sure Jagex can survive EoC, they have a large staff, many failed projects, and their cashflow has taken a huge hit. The only hope is that IVP wakes up and realises their asset is devaluing at a staggering rate and needs a big change of strategy, fast. Forking off the pre-EoC code as so many players are begging for would be a sensible move, but forking the whole company would be better - give a small dev and quest writing team a licence to the pre-EoC code and floating them off as a a new company (also owned by IVP) would cost far less than Jagex regularly waste on junk like 8 Realms and would provide a lifeline when the original company crashes and burns.

I don't think its dying but It has slowed down. As someone whose played since 2005 I've seen the game go up and down and I think it can revive from this down time. I think it still has some years left on it. Overall, I'm happy with the EOC. But, I can see why so many people dislike it.

All games slow down and feel like they're dying to older players, I think RS will always be there but I'm sure it's going to be changing quiet a bit

I think it's just in a slower activity phase but those always end come school breaks like summer and etc

I'd actually be interested in seeing how all MMORPGs in general are doing, and if they've declined in activity like RuneScape has. I just have this feeling that a lot of the younger kids getting into gaming are getting into console games like CoD and Halo, and not into the MMORPGs that those our age did back when online console gaming just didn't exist or wasn't popular/viable, and we relied on PCs and the internet to play games with friends or other people. I have no data to back this up, which is why I'd be interested in seeing the numbers.

This article doesn't bode well.

http://www.develop-online.net/news/42659/Jagex-months-past-due-on-yearly-financial-report

However EVE Online is doing ok.

And what is really interesting is that EVE Online went into microtransactions this year too.

However someone leaked the news to players and players had time to organise, and EVE took their player council to company HQ for a chinwag about it.

The EVE CEO apologised after some four months, but before that, he was saying the same things Mark Gerhard is saying. And his tone was the same, i.e. dismissive of player intelligence.

One example was the EVE CEO going on about only paying attention to what players do, rather than what they say. Gerhard said exactly the same thing. Both failing to realise that players are gamers, they will game the game. And at the same time tell management how the game could be better. EVE and Jagex unfortunately will only really listen to the cash registers falling silent.

But MMOs are hard to kill, and EVE Online is growing again after that system shock. I doubt Runescape is, unless it's bots passing their normal 100k accounts per day quota.

All MMOs eventually die, RuneScape will die one day and so will WoW and every other MMO you can think of for one of a multitude of reasons, whether due to better newer MMOs coming out, lack of paying members, lack of quality updates, or because the MMO will simply reach a point nothing new (of significance) can be added to the game and the majority of the members will move on after 'completing' the game.

This can happen tomorrow or in a decade, and there's nothing we can do. But I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you, people have been saying RuneScape is dying ever since I started playing and the game is still here and alive. It's seen better days, sure, but I don't think it's going to die anytime soon at least.

The current controlling company's development/marketing strategies for the game do not benefit the health of the game in the long run.

They aim to maximise short-term profit, and successfully does so through microtransactions. However, this comes at the cost of game content quality. Significantly less effort is put into actual game updates - one prime example is the recycling of the penguin hide-and-seek mechanic which now takes the place of many holiday events, events which used to be very unique and fun. Instead of trying to improve the quality of the game, IVP instead uses gimmicks such as the Loyalty store, as well as an overload of daily- and weekly- activities in order to retain members.

One other problem is their copying of concepts from other MMOs (EoC is the major example) which lowers the uniqueness of the game.

Copying has a hidden problem too, it makes things simple.

Jagex probably believes this makes the game more accessible, but it also means the need to talk about the game is lesser, and that there is no learning going on, which means means less fun.

See Raph Koster on the Theory of Fun for the second point.

Simplicity means less talking in game and less fun.

Mind you the wholesale discounting of what skill levels mean is going to do huge damage to Runescape, if it hasn't already. Both to new and old players.

Rawr! Wake up Jagex.

In my opinion, it died along time ago for all the players who where playing right from the beginning or the old days. Even for the people who started around 2006 onward the game has changed dramatically in every aspect, some people like the changes and some don't, but most have seemed to stick around. But since the release of EoC a lot of players quit, and numbers of active players have at least halved.

I wouldn't like to put a time on how long I think until the game is completely gone, because it's simply such a good game and always has been - and it will be a sad day in the diary of many the day runescape dies (nothing lasts forever)

For me personally, I prefer the game how it was in the 2005-2007 era. Although I still do play but no where near as much, and it seems with less enjoyment as I did.

But since the release of EoC a lot of players quit, and numbers of active players have at least halved.

There are currently 82k people playing I don't think I have seen numbers as high as 162k since before the first bot nuke, so the idea loads of people have quit is ridiculous.

People leave because they lose the feel of accomplishment after gaining an achievement ingame. Now.. Everything is too easy

Runescape is dying. I've played on and off for the last few years, and each time I started up again, I saw more material that deteriorated the old morals and codes of Jagex. The game has been dying since MMG took over. Andrew and Paul did a fantastic job before the executive change. Runescape was fresh, original, and exciting. We met people who shared similar passions, who also strived to learn the secrets to success in the game. Although everything looks better in retrospect, I do believe that, in this case, it does not hold true. The past was simply better.

The game has a few years left. It is dying; look at the amount of people who play. Take a closer look at how empty member worlds have become. I think many of us can relate to clicking "login" for five minutes straight just to get into World 2. Today, the server is half empty.

I've had great memories with the game, but as previously mentioned, every good thing has to come to an end.

All MMOs eventually die, RuneScape will die one day and so will WoW and every other MMO you can think of for one of a multitude of reasons, whether due to better newer MMOs coming out, lack of paying members, lack of quality updates, or because the MMO will simply reach a point nothing new (of significance) can be added to the game and the majority of the members will move on after 'completing' the game.

This can happen tomorrow or in a decade, and there's nothing we can do. But I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you, people have been saying RuneScape is dying ever since I started playing and the game is still here and alive. It's seen better days, sure, but I don't think it's going to die anytime soon at least.

I don't think WoW will ever die because they release new expansions at very smart times when everyone is about to quit. Then the players are all like, "Oh, I'll subscribe again!!".

But for RuneScape, the monthly content is somewhat little and people are over and done with it in a few days. I feel the way they handle releasing content isn't as good as it could be.

Or I could be totally wrong.

I'm positive that RuneScape is dying and my basis is this; I've been logging on more frequently lately and I have yet to see World 2 being full. It used to be sit there and spam log in to try and get it, but when I've been on there's always free spots.

Edited by Something Obscure

I've recently (very recently, as in <1 week) started playing again after a rather long hiatus, and I will have to agree that something's dying. However, I don't feel that the game is the thing that's dying, the community is. I've wandered around, participated in the christmas event, checked out most of the updates, and try to find some new training spots after the EoC update, and the majority of the people I've encountered are:

• "Veterans" - They sit at GE with their rares, doing absolutely nothing except brag about their wealth and complain about how Runescape is dying/dead, which baffles me because they're willing to waste time standing around in a dead game they're so obviously displeased about.
  • "Ads" - advertising websites, nothing new, report and move on
  • Beggars- as their names suggest, they simply beg for money from anyone they can find, follow drop parties and cry if they don't get anything. Most ungrateful bunch of kids I've seen in a while.
  • Powertrainers- No, not shoes. Basically huge crowds of people stacking on yew/fly-fishing spots. They're silent. I'm tempted to report some, but I can't really tell between antisocial and botting.

Basically, the Runescape community has basically been reduced to levelling, farming mobs, showing off wealth, and QQ. I've been in the presence of many level-ups and no Yay!, Grats, or anything were heard. The community don't feel like they're enjoying the game anymore. I've yet to visit the Karamja docks, but I sure hope that place haven't changed. I've enjoyed many afternoons there chatting with randoms. I haven't visited clan wars either, but after my hiatus, most friends were long gone. I'm not quite prepared to go through another phase of meeting fantastic people only to grew weary of the game.

I have no proof of my statements, but this is all I've seen. I'm rather self sufficient and I don't mind playing a game quietly, but I sure miss the feeling before, the desire of logging in to see if my friends were online, to check on their achievements and celebrate them together (Do people still do 70/80 in x skill parties?) Now it seems like nothing is of value besides 99 in all skills.

OT: Runescape isn't dying, the community/ quality of the community is

Edit: Forgot to mention one experience I had with the "Veterans": I saw them complaining about EoC and how it destroyed the game, and the only response they could come up with was "Well many legends quit now". I can't describe how displeased I am with that answer. Why are people playing the game for someone they've never talked to? Why does the loss of a few "well known" players mean the game is dying?

Edited by peter_144

But since the release of EoC a lot of players quit, and numbers of active players have at least halved.

There are currently 82k people playing I don't think I have seen numbers as high as 162k since before the first bot nuke, so the idea loads of people have quit is ridiculous.

Okay maybe not half looking at how things have come out now, but saying that a lot of people haven't quit due to eoc ? Now that my friend is ridiculous.

Okay maybe not half looking at how things have come out now, but saying that a lot of people haven't quit due to eoc ? Now that my friend is ridiculous.

Not really.

Nobody I know of has quit directly because of EoC. They all threaten to quit, but none of them go through with it because they know their reasons are irrational and very dumb.

Inb4negs

I have been an on/off player since 2004 ish. I can fondly look back on those days and recall them as being the best of my time on Runescape. However, a lot of things look better in hindsight, and that's just what happens when things change. I haven't played seriously for a while (I stopped playing again earlier in 2012 when the armour graphics were updated), and having logged back on last week (after EOC and Squeal of Fortune etc. have been introduced), it once again feels strange. Now I feel like even earlier in the year before those graphics updates was a better time for the game. However, it's possible that again it's just due to the fact that I haven't had a chance to become comfortable with the changes.

Other than that, I just focus on the parts of the game I do enjoy and don't bother with the parts I don't like or don't agree with. That's the great thing about it being such a large game - you can decide on what you want to do and there are so many possibilities. So I wouldn't say the game is dying, it's just changing - perhaps you could say it's still in a period of transition. For some players, the change is welcome, for others it is not. I agree that it's a lot easier these days to achieve things in the game that were very difficult a few years ago, but that's how it is. The game still lives on in its current form.

Now that I am playing again, I will be interested to see what changes come in 2013...

I actually just bought 6 months of membership a few days ago after a long hiatus of around 2 years and I'm thoroughly enjoying myself. I agree with Peter, it's not the game that's dying, it's the community. The majority of players are veterans who do nothing but talk at the G.E and show off, bots, beggars and advertisers. None of these players makes the game enjoyable. The game (imo) has gotten a lot better since '07, and although a few updates have been rightfully crap (Solomon's and purchasing spins) I love the game!