Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Insta Mute, don't get caught out!

(Firstly, I'm not 100% sure what forum this should be under, however this seems most suitable ^^)

As a few people know, there are certain things that when said in-game, instantly mute you, even without being reported.

Recently people have found out that if you say, "[first]" (without quotation marks, of course), you will get automatically muted for 2 days. I believe it's something to do with gambling websites or some other thing.

So, what certain people did, was ask a person, "Hey, would you like a riddle?", the player accepts, then they ask "What comes before [second]?"

If the player replied with "First?", they would be asked to try again, untill they said "[first]", and upon saying that, they would get automatically muted for 2 days.

However, my friend messaged me in-game about someone asking them really obscure riddles, and he said I would never guess what they asked, and I asked, "What comes before [second]?"

And for saying just those words, without any context, I got a 2 day mute.

Not going to mention any personal feelings about the "instamute system", however just so people know, it's probably best if you just don't mention anything about instamute related things, even in pm's to your friends. =p

Seems a bit draconian, doesn't it? Good of you to mention it. You could probably have put it under 'Runescape Discussion' (seeing as it pertains to Runescape).

I guess it seems harsh but if it stops us getting bombarded by spam I'm OK with a little collateral. Until it happens to me, then I'll be maaad! :)

I just tried this ingame and didn't get muted. I think this is just another silly myth that people have made up to scare people.

firstmh.png

I just tried this ingame and didn't get muted. I think this is just another silly myth that people have made up to scare people.

firstmh.png

7734 is a liar and a scoundrel!

i r v disappoint

Get them pitchforks 'n' torches, we gon' haves us an ol' fashun lynchin' :pirate2:

i r v disappoint

Get them pitchforks 'n' torches, we gon' haves us an ol' fashun lynchin' :pirate2:

I'll go get the townies and their votes.

Write down "what comes before [second]?", wait 5-10 mins and relog, that should work since it's exactly what I did.

For the record, I got the mute lifted a few hours later though. :)

And also, you can still see your chat when you're muted, however others can't.

Are you entirely sure about that? I have no idea how the system works currently, but in the past, you could not see your own mute.

I do recall a run-in ending in disaster because a Player Mod muted our regular target-caller in-game, and everyone just waited for a target, while he was getting a heart attack from us apparently not responding to his name spam.

My point is that it might actually have worked, unless they changed the system over the past 6 years. :P

Edited by Yuanrang

Are you entirely sure about that? I have no idea how the system works currently, but in the past, you could not see your own mute.

I do recall a run-in ending in disaster because a Player Mod muted our regular target-caller in-game, and everyone just waited for a target, while he was getting a heart attack from us apparently not responding to his name spam.

My point is that it might actually have worked, unless they changed the system over the past 6 years. :P

I tried it and messaged my brother afterwards, still wasn't muted.

Guess that puts the matter at rest.

Guess that puts the matter at rest.

still not sure guise, i think we need moar confirmashunz before we call it quits.

hey guys apparently if you say 'kemosabe is awesome' ingame, you get insta-player mod. it could be a fake rumour, but i think you should all try it just to see.

hey guys apparently if you say 'kemosabe is awesome' ingame, you get insta-player mod. it could be a fake rumour, but i think you should all try it just to see.

I got banned for lying!

Coming back to RuneScape this information has really helped me.

i feel betrayed by trusting you :[

Coming back to RuneScape this information has really helped me.

Is it... is it really you? :o

:welcome:

"7734"? Is that a reference to something?

Edited by theking1322