Sal's RuneScape Forum
Young Leo

The last person to post here wins

Hmm, personally, I play the D & D TTRPG, and I think WOTC should stop trying to shoehorn MTG crap into it. It's only pissing off the long-time players who have stuck with them through thick and thin,  and would rather see things like Dragonlance, Greyhawk, and Eberron; less of this MTG tie-in bullshizzle like Ravnica... 

8 hours ago, NobleKorhedron said:

Hmm, personally, I play the D & D TTRPG, and I think WOTC should stop trying to shoehorn MTG crap into it. It's only pissing off the long-time players who have stuck with them through thick and thin,  and would rather see things like Dragonlance, Greyhawk, and Eberron; less of this MTG tie-in bullshizzle like Ravnica... 

I think we might be seeing more of that now

the 'old school' rpg's were dead

indies like larian revived the genre with their own worlds

now those indies are big enough to be able to get licencing deals

and I think WOTC gets the picture, it's either now or not makign any money on those licenses anymore because the 'indies' have proven that they don't need the D&D label to make great games with great revenue

combine that with the failure of the 'neverwinter mmorpg' and they learned they lesson I suppose

here's to hoping for a dark rpg set in the ravenloft setting

although I will always love the good old forgotten reals

I am extremely pro-Forgotten Realms too. I grew up with stories from there, so I could not care about anything other than that. Dragonlance, Greyhawk and Eberron means nothing to me personally. 

2 hours ago, Yuanrang said:

I am extremely pro-Forgotten Realms too. I grew up with stories from there, so I could not care about anything other than that. Dragonlance, Greyhawk and Eberron means nothing to me personally. 

me neither really, but ravenloft does

it's more or less the the World of darkness form vampire the masquerade (from the vampire: bloodlines computergames), werewolf the apocalypse etc placed in a fantasy setting 

quite cool

56 minutes ago, Egghebrecht said:

me neither really, but ravenloft does

it's more or less the the World of darkness form vampire the masquerade (from the vampire: bloodlines computergames), werewolf the apocalypse etc placed in a fantasy setting 

quite cool

I know a little bit about Ravenloft. There is a (good) possibility that I will run Curse of Strahd for 5th edition for some World of Warcraft guild members, and I have read a bit about it to get some background knowledge and the setting. I like the dark and omnious setting, so I think it will be a great fit. :biggrin:

1 minute ago, Yuanrang said:

I know a little bit about Ravenloft. There is a (good) possibility that I will run Curse of Strahd for 5th edition for some World of Warcraft guild members, and I have read a bit about it to get some background knowledge and the setting. I like the dark and omnious setting, so I think it will be a great fit. :biggrin:

I'm completely behind on rule system and scenario's

the last rule system I played was the 3,0 one, got a lot of source books from that one

the last boxed scenario I played was the AD&D (2nd edition) return to the temple of elemental evil

12 minutes ago, Egghebrecht said:

I'm completely behind on rule system and scenario's

the last rule system I played was the 3,0 one, got a lot of source books from that one

the last boxed scenario I played was the AD&D (2nd edition) return to the temple of elemental evil

It is different for me, as 5E is the first edition I have genuinely played as a table top game, and not a port to a PC game. I have always been a D&D fan and nerd, but it has been more about reading about it, rather than actually playing it.

I took a liking to 5E, mostly because it is pretty simple to get into (and very easy to play through Roll20 if you live in areas with a lack of player availability). It was pretty clear to me that while I like playing, it is demoralising if everyone only cares about combat, and you want that plus.. more.

That said, I am drawn more towards DMing as a concept, anyway. :tongue: 

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Yuanrang said:

It is different for me, as 5E is the first edition I have genuinely played as a table top game, and not a port to a PC game. I have always been a D&D fan and nerd, but it has been more about reading about it, rather than actually playing it.

I took a liking to 5E, mostly because it is pretty simple to get into (and very easy to play through Roll20 if you live in areas with a lack of player availability). It was pretty clear to me that while I like playing, it is demoralising if everyone only cares about combat, and you want that plus.. more.

That said, I am drawn more towards DMing as a concept, anyway. :tongue: 

always thought you would have played before that

but then again, I grew up in a city with always at least one tabletop gamestore and that makes finding a crowd of players easier

Edited by Egghebrecht

8 hours ago, Egghebrecht said:

always thought you would have played before that

but then again, I grew up in a city with always at least one tabletop gamestore and that makes finding a crowd of players easier

I would have if presented the opportunity to do so, but... D&D was not super popular here "back then" and, I suppose, is not that popular still, but I see more of an availability of groups and players now. :tongue:

1 hour ago, Yuanrang said:

I would have if presented the opportunity to do so, but... D&D was not super popular here "back then" and, I suppose, is not that popular still, but I see more of an availability of groups and players now. :tongue:

I have no idea about the popularity nowadays really, totally out of the loop on that one

but the worlds biggest larp draws almost 10k people to central germany each year

even met an australian dude last year...

On 6/12/2019 at 7:24 PM, Egghebrecht said:

I have no idea about the popularity nowadays really, totally out of the loop on that one

but the worlds biggest larp draws almost 10k people to central germany each year

even met an australian dude last year...

I think D&D got widely popular around 5E (it became less mathematic, more newbie friendly) as livestreamed and/or recorded games became popular on podcasts, youtube and twitch. 

I think LARP as a concept is cool, but I am really fond of the storytelling and theatre of mind aspects of D&D, so I am more interested in that than the more physical aspects of it. I have looked at a few of the grand European LARP feeds though, and it looks really awesome. :ice:

11 hours ago, Yuanrang said:

I think D&D got widely popular around 5E (it became less mathematic, more newbie friendly) as livestreamed and/or recorded games became popular on podcasts, youtube and twitch. 

I think LARP as a concept is cool, but I am really fond of the storytelling and theatre of mind aspects of D&D, so I am more interested in that than the more physical aspects of it. I have looked at a few of the grand European LARP feeds though, and it looks really awesome. :ice:

everything is available in the larp scene nowadays

I've seen cult larps where tou get to play a new initiate in a cult for a week

i've seen a 1920's 'pulp' cthulhu event in the sahara (yes the actual sahara desert)

on the other side of the spectrum there is a warhammer style combat event this summer in poland

14 hours ago, Egghebrecht said:

everything is available in the larp scene nowadays

I've seen cult larps where tou get to play a new initiate in a cult for a week

i've seen a 1920's 'pulp' cthulhu event in the sahara (yes the actual sahara desert)

on the other side of the spectrum there is a warhammer style combat event this summer in poland

...I am fairly sure that some people would argue that being a part of LARP is like being in a cult in the first place, akin to how D&D was devil worship, and what not. :xd:

19 hours ago, Yuanrang said:

...I am fairly sure that some people would argue that being a part of LARP is like being in a cult in the first place, akin to how D&D was devil worship, and what not. :xd:

well it sure is as expensive XD

2 hours ago, Egghebrecht said:

well it sure is as expensive XD

See? Totally sold your soul to afford it! :ohmy: 

12 hours ago, Yuanrang said:

See? Totally sold your soul to afford it! :ohmy: 

there's to much inflation to sell your soul, the world has gotten so crowded lately that the price of a soul is registered in Venezuelan Bolivar

On 6/19/2019 at 4:46 PM, Egghebrecht said:

nope, I still win

You might think that, but you will not. 

18 hours ago, Yuanrang said:

You might think that, but you will not. 

as long as you don't cheat I shall win!

23 hours ago, Egghebrecht said:

as long as you don't cheat I shall win!

Ye of little faith. :ohmy: 

38 minutes ago, Yuanrang said:

Ye of little faith. :ohmy: 

As my catholic religion teachers knew, that is an undeniable fact