Sal's RuneScape Forum
Young Leo

The last person to post here wins

5 hours ago, Young Leo said:

It's on my on-the-fence list right now - would you recommend it to people who haven't seen the majority of Tarantino's films?

yes, although idk if i can compare it to his recent films. its closer to feeling like a vintage piece period film such as pulp fiction

16 hours ago, Magic of Woodcut said:

yes, although idk if i can compare it to his recent films. its closer to feeling like a vintage piece period film such as pulp fiction

Interesting - I'll keep that in mind, ty

It is probably best to point out that Tarrantino's style, if he has one, is to incorporate and mix-mash a lot of different genres, narrative aspects and general methods of creating action, suspense and drama. You can love one of his movies, and feel entirely different about another one. Tarrantino is the prime example of someone who just wants to tell a story and be artistic in the way he pays homage to the stories/genres he found inspiration from.

I'm visiting my parents for the long weekend so if there aren't any crazy events, I'm going to try and watch Inglorious Basterds plus Reservoir Dogs if there's time.

On 7/30/2019 at 3:47 AM, Yuanrang said:

It is probably best to point out that Tarrantino's style, if he has one, is to incorporate and mix-mash a lot of different genres, narrative aspects and general methods of creating action, suspense and drama. You can love one of his movies, and feel entirely different about another one. Tarrantino is the prime example of someone who just wants to tell a story and be artistic in the way he pays homage to the stories/genres he found inspiration from.

If you had to rank Tarantino's movies from your personal best-to-worst (or top three, maybe) what would they be? I've only seen Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained  :box:

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Zooey said:

If you had to rank Tarantino's movies from your personal best-to-worst (or top three, maybe) what would they be? I've only seen Inglorious Basterds and Django Unchained  :box:

1. Reservoir Dogs (It was the first Tarantino movie I saw, and I love the premise of it.)
  2. Pulp Fiction (It is just great.)
  3. Kill Bill volume 1 (Very confusing and disjointed way of telling a story, but the mix of genres and pushing a general narrative through volumes 1 and 2, makes both 1 and 2 solid movies. Volume 1 was clearly the better one, however. 
  4. Inglorius Basterds (Perhaps this is ranked as number 3, not sure. I like it, but Kill Bill played with so many genres and made a really good, though thoroughly confusing, movie). 
  5. Kill Bill volume 2
  6. Very large gap down from the above 5 that I consider to be solid movies, to the bottom two which I did not like too much.
  7. Jackie Brown (People usually love this, but I do not, and I do not know why. I ought to give this a second chance.).
  8. Death Proof (Not a fan of the genre, so I very much did not seriously watch this, but more with half an interest. I should perhaps give it a more honest chance, but genuinely...? I do not like the genre, and I do not care to give it another go. :tongue: )

I have not seen Django Unchained nor the Hateful Eight (or Once Upon A Time..), so I cannot say. I think both of those would be movies I would greatly like, however, so.. :tongue: 

Edited by Yuanrang

3 hours ago, Yuanrang said:
  1. Reservoir Dogs (It was the first Tarantino movie I saw, and I love the premise of it.)
  2. Pulp Fiction (It is just great.)
  3. Kill Bill volume 1 (Very confusing and disjointed way of telling a story, but the mix of genres and pushing a general narrative through volumes 1 and 2, makes both 1 and 2 solid movies. Volume 1 was clearly the better one, however. 
  4. Inglorius Basterds (Perhaps this is ranked as number 3, not sure. I like it, but Kill Bill played with so many genres and made a really good, though thoroughly confusing, movie). 
  5. Kill Bill volume 2
  6. Very large gap down from the above 5 that I consider to be solid movies, to the bottom two which I did not like too much.
  7. Jackie Brown (People usually love this, but I do not, and I do not know why. I ought to give this a second chance.).
  8. Death Proof (Not a fan of the genre, so I very much did not seriously watch this, but more with half an interest. I should perhaps give it a more honest chance, but genuinely...? I do not like the genre, and I do not care to give it another go. :tongue: )

I have not seen Django Unchained nor the Hateful Eight (or Once Upon A Time..), so I cannot say. I think both of those would be movies I would greatly like, however, so.. :tongue: 

Sweet, thanks! I realize I've seen Kill Bills and agree with ya - I'll have to spend a week or two catching up with Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction; you think they're good movies for a crowd? I've spent a lot of my time just watching shows/movies by myself and ask since Harry Potter was the last group movie I watched: ha.

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Zooey said:

Sweet, thanks! I realize I've seen Kill Bills and agree with ya - I'll have to spend a week or two catching up with Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction; you think they're good movies for a crowd? I've spent a lot of my time just watching shows/movies by myself and ask since Harry Potter was the last group movie I watched: ha.

I mean.. they are not your average popcorn action flick like The Expendables for groups of people, but bouts of philosophy and morality aside, they are entertaining enough to see with people, yeah.

In fact, if you consider Kill Bill or Inglorious Basterds something that you can see in a group, then yeah, both Reservoir Dogs and Pulp Fiction will be more than fine. Bear in mind that, at this point, they are movies from the early 90ies though, so... I am not sure if that will turn people away (and if it does, might I suggest you unfriend those noobs? :cute: ). :tongue: 

Edited by Yuanrang

Posted (edited)

On 8/2/2019 at 1:18 PM, Zooey said:

For me,

1. Jackie Brown

2. Inglourious Basterds

3. Reservoir Dogs

The rest are great, but these 3 really stick out the most. People would probably hit me with the :huh: every time I say Jackie Brown as my favorite, but it's just so damn wonderful.

Edit: Correction, the rest are great apart from Death Proof. That movie's trash. Also, Four Rooms isn't technically Tarantino's movie I don't believe but he directed some of it, and it's great.

Edited by Magic of Woodcut

14 hours ago, Magic of Woodcut said:

For me,

1. Jackie Brown

2. Inglourious Basterds

3. Reservoir Dogs

The rest are great, but these 3 really stick out the most. People would probably hit me with the :huh: every time I say Jackie Brown as my favorite, but it's just so damn wonderful.

Edit: Correction, the rest are great apart from Death Proof. That movie's trash. Also, Four Rooms isn't technically Tarantino's movie I don't believe but he directed some of it, and it's great.

Now you made me curious..! 

Can you give me a compelling argument as to why I should give Jackie Brown another chance? What makes it your favourite one? :ohmy: 

Plenty of people say they like it a lot, but I always forget to ask them about what makes it so good, so... hi. :tongue:

Posted (edited)
On 7/28/2019 at 8:38 PM, Yuanrang said:

You know, I thought about that earlier, how you would die of a heatstroke as you donned armor and ran around in scorching hot 30+ Celsius. I am glad you are not gambling your health on attending Conquest, because... damn... :xd:  

last year it was that hot

donned armour at 5 in the afternoon, not earlier

utterly unbearable in 35C in the shade without any shade

712487159_COM19Flo-91.thumb.jpg.d5320a81e210adcf67b35279b6d6e39e.jpg

that's me with my hammertime squad (third row with the dragonwing shoulders)

For me,

1. Jackie Brown

2. Inglourious Basterds

3. Reservoir Dogs

I totally agree on jackie brown being his best work

Edited by Egghebrecht

23 hours ago, Yuanrang said:

Now you made me curious..! 

Can you give me a compelling argument as to why I should give Jackie Brown another chance? What makes it your favourite one? :ohmy: 

Plenty of people say they like it a lot, but I always forget to ask them about what makes it so good, so... hi. :tongue:

Maybe that is a personal indication that the rest of his works feel like they're supposed to be appealing to a certain group of people specifically during the time that it was procured and filmed. I don't know.  All of the actors do a tremendous job in depicting the situation the film involves and it's more of a cut and paste police-work type film rather than a shizzle's hitting the fan every 5 minutes type like most of Tarantino's movies. If you understand the concept I just described, it 9/10 times falls back on a matter of taste :tongue: Don't get me wrong I love the bulk of his filmography, but as fun as it is to occasionally take a ride on a movie with a fast pace and lots to pay attention to, sometimes film has a way of making you go in for the finer, simpler films with much to offer us like Jackie Brown, which ultimately puts it to the top of my list for Tarantino.

also Pam Grier 

Image result for pam grier 1997

yeah I'll probably go see his latest work

that is if we don't forget to go before it is out of the theatres again

I think I might see that one too. I have not gone to a movie in a theater in five years. I have a "stay-cation" coming so maybe I'll break the streak.

On 8/10/2019 at 10:18 PM, Sobend said:

I think I might see that one too. I have not gone to a movie in a theater in five years. I have a "stay-cation" coming so maybe I'll break the streak.

I go from time to time

but never to a 'major' film really

only exception to that rule are kids movies, went to see the new lion king with my son for his 5th birthday

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Make Max GP said:

Combat & Slayer week!

SLAYER!!!!!

\m/(>.<)\m/

Edited by Egghebrecht

On 8/10/2019 at 5:54 PM, Young Leo said:

source.gif

source.gif

There was a topic like this one years ago: