Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Beret

a better better ui

jagex i made you a ui. i suggest you use it.

ipLJlaRnaBC1k.png

ibmxeS9mzH3oa8.png

itIBbgrpDIlZ6.png

here is a more conventional approach to the unit frames.

ibjeSQjmAyb2Yr.png

here is the same approach without exp trackers

iZunul3V6LHVy.png

here is the original approach without exp trackers

more variety.

Edited by Beret

fake no one can have that much money u suck

Looks nice and clean though, I like it. What about for those users who use the lowered screen res option?

I would definitely prefer that action bar to the current one. At the moment, there are just nowhere near enough slots to bind abilities to, and it's annoying to constantly have to search for a specific spell because I can't fit it on my hotbars or switch bars mid-combat, causing me to lose significant dps.

fake no one can have that much money u suck

Looks nice and clean though, I like it. What about for those users who use the lowered screen res option?

use old ui obviously

I like the look of this, much better than the mess that is currently in place

I was going to give this a box but then I realized it was in suggestions.

Looks nice, but I personally cbf binding that many keys to things.

10/10 would use.

I feel like I'm looking at a gimmicky WoW ui. You even mentioned OmniCC, lol.

Edited by Something Obscure

Gimmicky wow ui > current ui

This is what people do when they first discover they can change their ui in WoW.

All you did was pretty much take the look of someone who just installed bartender and sexy map, moved their unit frames, and has new buff/debuff timers.

I've told you before, there's no way this will work for players who play at 800x600 or smaller.

This is what people do when they first discover they can change their ui in WoW.

All you did was pretty much take the look of someone who just installed bartender and sexy map, moved their unit frames, and has new buff/debuff timers.

I've made my own UI for WoW several times. First example, Second example, third example.

I've told you before, there's no way this will work for players who play at 800x600 or smaller.

Then those people will play fixed UI until they get a bigger monitor.

Then those people will play fixed UI until they get a bigger monitor.

That does sound logical, but Jagex is rather resistant to having old versions still exist as an option after upgrading (and no, I'm not talking about the EoC)

It's too cluttered. That'd be fine on my screen, playing full-sized - 1920x1080 - but on screens of smaller sizes, or if I wished to play windowed or something that'd be HORRIBLE.

Moreover I don't see much advantage in it over the current system.

http://i.minus.com/itIBbgrpDIlZ6.png here is a more conventional approach to the unit frames.

http://i.minus.com/ibjeSQjmAyb2Yr.png here is the same approach without exp trackers

http://i.minus.com/iZunul3V6LHVy.png here is the original approach without exp trackers

more variety.

I agree with Something Obscure and Hunter. It's much too cluttered and resembles Bartender.

There's no anchoring point for the UI. Nothing ties any of it together - it's all floating around. To a player it would look very unfriendly and intimidating. Also, it would look better if the bottom right buttons were integrated into your design so there's only one place you have to look at for buttons.

Edited by Zooey

I agree with Something Obscure and Hunter. It's much too cluttered and resembles Bartender.

There's no anchoring point for the UI. Nothing ties any of it together - it's all floating around. To a player it would look very unfriendly and intimidating. Also, it would look better if the bottom right buttons were integrated into your design so there's only one place you have to look at for buttons.

woah woah lets back it up a bit. this isn't a final design of course there's changes i would adjust. as for the resolution, it appears both our UIs are in the same sense, the same value in terms of screen real estate. So my statement still stands that if you want to play on a good UI, you'll play on a desktop with a monitor, however, if you play with a laptop, you will have the options we have now. This UI would be an extra option, really, not the only option.

To counter the imprecision of the bars, I was thinking about adding values underneath them. The compass is a nice change, in my opinion and obviously not going to be perfect in this mock-up, because, like I said, it's not a final, it's just meant to show what I think an ideal set up would be. Ingame, the compass would be precise and have proper symbolism.

I know I cannot please everyone because not everyone is appealed to the same design. My design is functional because I would add two much needed features: Docking and UI scaling. I figured this was implied but you would be able to dock and undock each UI element and move them around as you see fit, primarily used for moving the unit frames, map and action bar(s). Speaking of the action bars, the amount of bars is optional, you don't need 3, you could stick to 1 if you wanted.

Scaling is another wonderful feature for people with odd resolutions. Is the map too big? Scale it down some. Bags? Chatbox? You get the idea. In the same regard, the chatbox is re-sizable and would allow for font customization. Name tags wouldn't really be needed be needed after the tutorial simply because there are so few menus in RuneScape that it's not hard to memorize them.

The compass is nice albeit a little big, but if it was scalable like you said then it would be great. Docking and scaling doesn't really change that it's just floating there. It doesn't look like a solid UI to me, but maybe other people like it.