Sal's RuneScape Forum
Phoenix Rider

Pope Benny resigns

Pope Benedict XVI in shock resignation

Pope Benedict XVI is to resign at the end of this month in an unexpected development, saying he is too old to continue at the age of 85.

He became Pope in 2005 following John Paul II's death.

Resignations from the papacy are not unknown, but this is the first in the modern era, which has been marked by pontiffs dying while in office.

At 78, the former Cardinal Joseph Ratzinger was one of the oldest new popes in history when elected.

priests

He took the helm as one of the fiercest storms the Catholic Church has faced in decades - the scandal of child sex abuse by priests - was breaking.

In a statement, he said: "After having repeatedly examined my conscience before God, I have come to the certainty that my strengths, due to an advanced age, are no longer suited to an adequate exercise of the Petrine ministry...

"In today's world, subject to so many rapid changes and shaken by questions of deep relevance for the life of faith, in order to govern the bark of Saint Peter and proclaim the Gospel, both strength of mind and body are necessary, strength which in the last few months, has deteriorated in me to the extent that I have had to recognise my incapacity to adequately fulfil the ministry entrusted to me."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21411304

Dan Brown must be giddy. :xd:

NOW LET THE PAPAL CONCLAVE COMMENCE!! :wizard:

Edited by Phoenix Rider

I already sent in my application. The Holy See could need more fire and brimstone in their public appearance to the rest of the world.

Given the brown-nosing nature of the Italian media towards the Vatican, I can just expect hours and hours on end of news reports and generic bollocks about it all.

Couple it with the impending elections, and you'll know why I'm eagerly waiting for Vogon ships to arrive.

Hrmph.

Gonna miss him. He was such as fun character.

KatamariPapacy.jpg

Now kneel before the King of all Cosmos you fools!

*Insert Katamari Papacy Theme song ♪♪♫*

Edited by Phoenix Rider

KatamariPapacy.jpg

U0tmS1S.jpg

WE DID IT REDDIT!!!!!

Edited by theking1322

KatamariPapacy.jpg

-snip-

No. Please oh God, just no. :sick:

Apparently, things can get worse for Catholicism. :)

I think the thing i'll miss the most is the gifs.

I'm finding it pretty funny how they're talking about Ratzinger's reign as if it's ridiculously more controversial than the others. The last time the Catholic Church wasn't controversial was probably, well, never in its history.

edit: maybe because JPII was so cute

Edited by Goggie

I think the thing i'll miss the most is the gifs.

I'm finding it pretty funny how they're talking about Ratzinger's reign as if it's ridiculously more controversial than the others. The last time the Catholic Church wasn't controversial was probably, well, never in its history.

edit: maybe because JPII was so cute

JPII was extremely charismatic and I think that's why people have overlooked his conservatism. Not to mention that he came out of a communist country and was the first "people's pope" who actually traveled and met with people all over the world.

First time in 700 years that a pope actually resigned. Wow.

Even if you disagree with this guy on the issues, you have to respect him. It takes a lot of courage to be able to step down from such a powerful job. Now if only some of the guys in government had the sense to step down...

Edited by Sobend

Even if you disagree with this guy on the issues, you have to respect him.

No, you don't.

Good riddance. Still waiting on a pope who can bring the church into the modern world.

Edited by LCD

No, you don't.

Good riddance. Still waiting on a pope who can bring the church into the modern world.

So we can't respect people who have different views from ours? I'm not saying you should love the guy, but at least respect this selfless move which is probably for the best of his organization.

I'm not sure if we should say good riddance because the guy who replaces him is going to have similar views. In my opinion it's going to be a meet the new boss, same as the old boss type of deal. I would like to see a more liberal pope, but I don't think a pope close to our standards can get elected right now. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not catholic.

No, you don't.

So we can't respect people who have different views from ours? I'm not saying you should love the guy, but at least respect this selfless move which is probably for the best of his organization.

I'm not sure if we should say good riddance because the guy who replaces him is going to have similar views. In my opinion it's going to be a meet the new boss, same as the old boss type of deal. I would like to see a more liberal pope, but I don't think a pope close to our standards can get elected right now. Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm not catholic.

I wouldn't necessarily say his move is "selfless". He's doing it because of his waning health - which is absolutely understandable and justified, but is hardly selfless.

Just because the person who replaces him may be the same it doesn't make it unacceptable to be wholly dissatisfied with his actions while holding the position. I am Catholic, and I expect his holiness to be a leader, not a roadblock - Benedict XVI was more of the latter.

Given the brown-nosing nature of the Italian media towards the Vatican, I can just expect hours and hours on end of news reports and generic bollocks about it all.

Couple it with the impending elections, and you'll know why I'm eagerly waiting for Vogon ships to arrive.

Hrmph.

The only problem is that you wont really know it happened, just have a fuzzy day of memories when they recreate Earth from the moment of destruction.

PROTIP: don't go to any poetry readings.

No, you don't.

The Church is still run by 70-year old men. Do you really expect them to modernize overnight? Really?

No, you don't.

The Church is still run by 70-year old men. Do you really expect them to modernize overnight? Really?

No, but I want to so I can complain

Also, since they're all so old, they could relocate somewhere warmer, like Avignon, or Greenland

Hrmph.

The only problem is that you wont really know it happened, just have a fuzzy day of memories when they recreate Earth from the moment of destruction.

Actually, you will get warned about the impending destruction right before it happens. :P

Hrmph.

Actually, you will get warned about the impending destruction right before it happens. :P

See that guy with the "WELCOME" sign? That's me.

And, as usual, the Flawless Victory award goes to The Onion:

tumblr_mi2v1gvFKI1qckp4qo1_1280.png

No, you don't.

At what point did I suggest that I expected them to modernize overnight? I sure as hell wish that they would, but I'm confused as to how you got the idea that I believed this was actually within possibility. Small steps make all the difference - steps that leaders of one of the largest religious institutions in the world should be taking, but have staunchly elected not to.