Sal's RuneScape Forum
Kemosabe

2007Scape Subforum

I think we should make a subforum for the new (old) servers, much in the same way we did for EoC. Judging by the recent spark in activity and the popularity of the servers I believe there is enough need to warrant a new subforum for it. I think we should even move the RuneScape Marketplace into it because there it'll actually be useful and needed.

I was thinking the same way yesterday. It just seems weird to have a forum for General RS, EOC, and 07Scape lol. It would be nice though.

This seems reasonable, especially what with the Marketplace being a dead forum among dead forums; without the Grand Exchange and such, it's safe to predict that a lot of trading will be requested in '07 Scape exclusively. And of course, the activity of Sal's Forum in general has received an evident spike, which can easily be attributed to the revival of this update. Discussion and communication would certainly bring activity with this subforum.

It (may) be a good idea to see how long the activity lasts before putting in a subforum.

It (may) be a good idea to see how long the activity lasts before putting in a subforum.

I do believe that activity will drop after the free month ends, but I think we should implement the forum now to cater for the boost to activity and if needed can revert things back to normal later. Honestly, in my opinion, having an EoC subforum is not needed because the EoC isn't so new anymore and the whole RuneScape forum should be catered toward the EoC seeing as it is now the norm.

Merge EOC forum into General.

Create RS07 forum group.

Move Marketplace into RS07 forum group.

Merge EOC forum into General.

Create RS07 forum group.

Move Marketplace into RS07 forum group.

This. A forum marketplace is going to be more used in 2007scape for obvious reasons.

-gazisere ^_^

In my opinion a '07RS subforum is about as needed as the EoC forum: not needed at all. I can sort of understand why Sal created the EoC forum though, EoC was a big change and nearly all the guides had to be updated and nobody knew anything at all about the new combat system + it made Salmoneus' life a lot easier to have all the EoC posted in the EoC guides subforum. But now it's becoming an useless forum, all RuneScape related topics, both EoC and '07RS, should be posted in the same forum (General RuneScape Discussion) and that's it. I fail to understand why it's needed more subforums when everything can be posted in the one that currently exists.

Edited by Micael Fatia

In my opinion a '07RS subforum is about as needed as the EoC forum: not needed at all. I can sort of understand why Sal created the EoC forum though, EoC was a big change and nearly all the guides had to be updated and nobody knew anything at all about the new combat system + it made Salmoneus' life a lot easier to have all the EoC posted in the EoC guides subforum. But now it's becoming an useless forum, all RuneScape related topics, both EoC and '07RS, should be posted in the same forum (General RuneScape Discussion) and that's it. I fail to understand why it's needed more subforums when everything can be posted in the one that currently exists.

It would prevent some confusion when people don't specify which Runescape they're talking about. I think it's not an unreasonable idea.

But you see, EOC was a mandatory update of the main branch of the game. That in comparison to '07 RS--which is now a separate game (since they run different databases). I think it's worthwhile to pursue--at least a single section for '07 Runescape (and perhaps a few subdivisions--'07 Scape News, GenDisc, & Marketplace).

But you see, EOC was a mandatory update of the main branch of the game. That in comparison to '07 RS--which is now a separate game (since they run different databases). I think it's worthwhile to pursue--at least a single section for '07 Runescape (and perhaps a few subdivisions--'07 Scape News, GenDisc, & Marketplace).

This is the way I see it. EoC did deserve its own subforum in the beginning because it was such a radical change, but it is now just a part of the game and so the whole forum should cater to it. 2007Scape is radically different, not only in the type of game it is, but also the way people play it. I don't think it's large enough to warrant as many sections as Bobsama is suggesting, but I think its own subforum for everything and then that extra marketplace section is warranted.

This is the way I see it. EoC did deserve its own subforum in the beginning because it was such a radical change, but it is now just a part of the game and so the whole forum should cater to it. 2007Scape is radically different, not only in the type of game it is, but also the way people play it. I don't think it's large enough to warrant as many sections as Bobsama is suggesting, but I think its own subforum for everything and then that extra marketplace section is warranted.

I'm saying one section on the Everything Runescape with a few subsections for different areas.

But is there really enough activity to justify the creation of a '07 RS forum/subforum? I would understand (and support) the creation of such forum/subforum if the General RuneScape Discussion forum was filled with both EoC and '07 Rs topics, but it's not. The way I see it you want a '07 RS forum/subforum just for the sake of having a '07 RS forum/subforum, because with the current level of activity I highly doubt it will have more than two or three active topics and for that I think General runeScape Discussion is good enough.

Edited by Micael Fatia

I agree with Micael on this. The activity at the moment is just too low to get separate forums/subforums.

Is there a demand consistent with the amount of topics?

Will the longevity of the forum last more than a couple months?

Can topics go elsewhere just as easily?

In my opinion a '07RS subforum is about as needed as the EoC forum: not needed at all.

If 07 gets 500k votes (dw it won't) then it pretty much becomes a separate game, a subsidiary (so to speak) of the main one. They're not the same thing.

EoC on the other hand, is a part of RS, not independent.

Guys, let's be totally honest here. We have too many forums and subforums as is, the activity here is so stagnant. One look at the front page tells me that Marketplace, PvP (*SOB*), and Runewise are all practically useless. Events, EoC, and Suggestions haven't been used in over 72 hours. Only 17 members are currently online.

The purpose of subforums is so that people don't have to sift through a massive number of topics to get to the subject they want. For instance, if there were 100 topics made in the last day, and 30 of those were on 07, then somebody wishing to read or answer 07 questions would have to look at all 100 topics to answer those 30, and a subforum would be warranted. If, however, there were only 10 topics made in the last day, and 3 of those were on 07, it would take somebody wishing to read or answer 07 questions like 30 seconds to look over the 10 headings and open up the 07 ones. Honestly, unless activity picks up drastically sometime between now and the end of time, I can't possibly foresee anything that would warrant its own subforum on this forum, ever. Personally, I'd throw EoC, Suggestions, Marketplace, and maybe even PvP (*SOB* again) as subforums to General Discussion.

We have too many subforums as is.

And yes, I am aware that I am reversing my stance from the time I asked them to split the PvP forum hahahaha.

If 07 gets 500k votes (dw it won't) then it pretty much becomes a separate game, a subsidiary (so to speak) of the main one. They're not the same thing.

EoC on the other hand, is a part of RS, not independent.

RSC is also a separate game, sure it doesn't get any updates but it's still separate game and we don't have any RSC forums/subforums because there's not enough activity to warrant them. Yes I know it's a somewhat bad comparison because we actually have a lot of members who play old school RS and it's very possible more people will return from retirement to play it, but it's still valid because unless someone went and created three or four old school topics during the two minutes it took me to write this post, the number of old school RS discussion topics should still be almost identical to the number of RSC discussion topics. Yes I'm sure we'll see an increase in old school RS question topics, but that's what the RuneScape questions section is for, it would be silly to have a different questions subforum for all the different versions of RuneScape. There's also quite a lot of new old school RuneScape skill logs, but I'm sure you agree it would also be silly to split the skill logs section.

My point is that an old school RS forum/subforum would only be used for General RuneScape Discussion like discussion topics, and we clearly don't have enough members interested in discussing RuneScape or the General RuneScape Discussion would be a lot more active than it is now. :s

Turning a sort of inactive forum into two even more inactive subforums is basically the only thing splitting the GRSD section would achieve, and that really doesn't make much sense to me.

Even if there isn't necessarily a need for a RS07 subforums yet (personally I feel it's far too early to make judgement calls on how much activity we're likely to get on RS07 conversations), it's a good opportunity to talk about the current structure of the RS section.

I'd probably suggest something similar to Lilshu/Kemo, although perhaps RS Questions could retain its own subforum as it seems to get a fair amount of traffic. I definitely agree on the 'Other Content' section or whatever it would end up being called, I don't think we can really justify having that many subforums, given the traffic that we're seeing there. It'd be good to get some feedback from the Clanning folks about what they think is best for that section.

And i'm sure we're all savvy enough to include some sort of RS07/EOC disclaimer in a topic title to let people know what we're talking about.

Any thoughts on combining RS Events/Suggestions with RS Discussion?

How would that work? Events and Suggestions can be EoC or Old School, wouldn't make sense merging Events with General RS Discussion for example then force the Old School players have to post their event topics in a forum of a version of the game they don't play.

I know it's not a big deal because the events section is pretty dead and the official events usually get posted in the announcements forum, but if we start removing all forums that are not that active just because, well, they're not active then we're going to end up with only like 4 or 5. :s

Edit: missing words.

Edited by Micael Fatia

Any thoughts on combining RS Events/Suggestions with RS Discussion?

How would that work? Events and Suggestions can be EoC or Old School, wouldn't make sense merging Events with General RS Discussion for example then force the Old School players have to post their event topics in a forum of a version of the game they don't play.

I know it's not a big deal because the events section is pretty dead and the official events usually get posted in the announcements forum, but if we start removing all forums that are not that active just because, well, they're not active then we're going to end up with only like 4 or 5. :s

Edit: missing words.

What about merging them into two, ie. one EoC, one Old School section?