Sal's RuneScape Forum

Hey guys,

I started playing old school about 5 days ago, and only have about 70k. All my friends have about 250k and are doing really well. The problem with me is that i don't know what skills to train most importantly, and how to effectively make money. I hate being on a tight budget too. How should I go about getting a 70+ CB level and a total level of about 650? I just need tips and things. Also, what order should I do it: training or skilling first? Thanks.

Do quests. I'd follow that up with slayer as it's really profitable now.

More specifically, Waterfall is really good combat xp, plus then you have access to the Fire Giants in there, although they're very busy at the moment.

I've done waterfall and about to do some quests. As for skills, which should I focus on the most besides RC?

Fishing is useful for getting your own food and a reliable money source, and Agility is useful in any situation so I'd definitely recommend getting that up.

Get 25 agility as soon as possible. Do Grand Tree and Fairy Tale to unlock spirit trees, gnome gliders, and fairy rings.Train your magic so that you have access to basic teleports.

I'm on to training range to 50 for fire giants. After all, they'll pay me back with sufficient drops right? I'm doing bows with bronze arrows. For armour, what should I use?

I wouldn't bother with d'hide until blue if you are on a budget, just make do with studded/maple bow/bronze arrows. Flesh crawlers are a good way to get 50 range if you are not already, from 1-50 i got a good 100k-150k worth of drops.

I would've never thought of flesh crawlers, thanks man. How many arrows do you think that would be?

erm can't remember exactly i think i used about 3000 bronze arrows maybe a bit more. The loot easily pays for that. (although i wouldnt sell unids yet)

Edited by Ice

Can someone explain the trouble with unids? Also, I'm really poor and it's so hard to fund any training of any sort. What's a quick, steady source of income?

Can someone explain the trouble with unids? Also, I'm really poor and it's so hard to fund any training of any sort. What's a quick, steady source of income?

Err as far as i know they are still rising in price so it would be a bad decision to sell them immediately. Nature/Law running can get you a lot of money pretty quickly.

Right now I'm woodcutting, trying to make some money. Currently 54, should I do willows which equal speed, or maples to 60 which will provide me with about 140k? I have little to no money and want to become one of those rich people, haha. My friends all have their ways, and mine is woodcutting. I just want someone else's input.

You could do teaks and mahoganys too, those may prove to be somewhat valuable eventually when the higher lvl construction ppl want to train faster. The problem with that is that it requires a good bit of trading sticks to be able to do. Now, you could get trading sticks from jungle cleanup, but the best way is to mine gems in shilo and sell the opal/jade/topaz to gabooty in tai bwo wannai. You do have to do jungle potion to be able to do shilo village though. If you're too lazy to do all that, and you just want some quick money, then I would recommend doing maples until a little bit after 60 before you start on yews. I don't know if you can still make more money on yews at 60 or not, but I do know that training is faster on willows or maples than yews at 60.

Assuming you still need advice in regards to gold and seek to level your combat stats whilst doing it, I advise Slayer. Around the 50's+ in that skill you'll start to make some decent gold, at 75+ you'll start making hundreds of thousands for simply one drop (uncommon / rare drops, might I add, Granite Mauls are hovering around 800k-1M, where as the Rune Boots, which are uncommon as opposed to the rare Granite Mauls (runescape.wikia.com), will net you anywhere from 600-700k per drop). And eventually, you'll hit 85 and even 90 (if you so choose) Slayer to acquire single drops worth multi-millions (Abyssal Whip + Dark Bow).

To get started simply talk to the Slayer Master appropriate for your Combat Level (Burthorpe Slayer Master from 1-20, Canifis from 20-40, Edgeville from 40-70, Zanaris from 70-100, Shilo VIllage from 100-126) and get Slaying! I advise going to the way back machine, inputting tip.it, select August 7, 2007, click on Skill Guide on the left side of the page, and then select the Slayer Skill to have more indepth information.

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm now at 73 woodcutting and boasting a 2M bank :P. I kind of want to start working on other skills now, maybe 30+ all skills since my total level is lacking Question is...what order should I do it? For example, fishing before cooking, that kind of thing. Thanks in advance!

I'm back again, like a month later! ^_^ Anyways, I always feel like i haven't done enough. I want a 1100 total level, with mine being 800. How should I start it?

Work on skills that level quickly such as:

Cooking

Fletching

Hunter

Smithing

Unless you have intentions of climbing up to the top 100 or so and maintaining that kind of rank, I suggest not worrying about your Total Level and that you focus on more important things such as; maxing out a particular money-making skill, leveling up your combat skills, getting quests done needed to work towards various items (Rune Plate, Dragon Weaponry, New Magic books / spells, Barrows Gloves, etc.)