Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Young Leo

Batman: Arkham Origins

http://ca.ign.com/ar...igins-announced

Warner Bros. has announced the next title in the Batman: Arkham franchise will be Batman: Arkham Origins, currently in development for the PC, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii U.
It's currently slated for release on October 25 this year, but there's no mention of the game appearing on next-gen consoles.
The game, which is the subject of Game Informer's latest cover, will not be developed by Rocksteady Studios this time around, instead being worked on in-house at Warner Bros. Games Montreal.
The new development team will be using many of the assets that Rocksteady has used in the past, including its customised Unreal engine so as to try and avoid any discrepancies in the aesthetic of the franchise. Eric Holmes, lead designer of games including The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction and Prototype, is heading up the project.
The game will apparently take place long before both of the existing Arkham titles, when a young and inexperienced Batman will encounter many familiar villains for the first time. As can be seen in the Game Informer imagery, the assassin Deathstroke will be one such foe, making his core Arkham game debut.
Alongside the console game though, Warner Bros. has also announced a handheld title, Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate. The game, which will be released on PS Vita and 3DS again on October 25, is set after the events of Arkham Origins and is being developed by Armature Studio, the company that was founded by several of the brains behind the Metroid Prime trilogy. With this in mind, it's not too surprising to find it described as a "2.5-D Metroid-style exploration action game".
What do you reckon? Are you excited about the idea of a Batman origins title, or does the fact Rocksteady isn't involved worry you? Let us know your thoughts in the comments.

This is AWESOME.

EDIT: Threw in the Game Informer video. Edited by Leo Crimson

Well, this has been rather strongly rumored as of late anyway so it is not one of those massive reveals, but this is quite frankly one of those games I can not wait to play. The Arkham games are quite frankly some of the games that I love the most.

Short teaser trailer:

Anybody know which villain that is?

Deathstroke if I'm not mistaken; apparently he's also playable in a DLC if you preorder the game.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2013/05/19/deathstroke-will-be-playable-in-batman-arkham-origins?+main+twitter

Short teaser trailer:

Anybody know which villain that is?

Deathstroke if I'm not mistaken; apparently he's also playable in a DLC if you preorder the game.

http://ca.ign.com/ar...s? main twitter

That is indeed Deathstroke the Terminator, but he is apparently just one out of eight villains in the game. That said, I sorely missed Deathstroke in past games but I suppose the old games would have struggled with too many mastermind tacticians and that more or less describe Deathstroke more so than most characters in the DC universe. :P

Here's the full trailer for the game:

Edit after watching it:

I guess Black Mask is the new primary kingpin, putting a bounty on the Batman. Also, Deadshot returns.

As for the trailer itself, I am indifferent. I knew it was going to be a action-orientated trailer to hype people up for the game, but that is to be expected. What I want to see is actual gameplay footage from the game so we can see if they have totally ruined the great parts of Asylum and City, or improved them. :P

Edited by Yuanrang

The above gameplay video completely made all my fears go away. I feared that a new developer would drastically change the game engine, but by the looks of it, they are just taking the old Rocksteady engine and polishing it a bit. To be honest, I am entirely fine with that since the old formula was amazing. :P

My new worry: That they mess up the story, but then again, I really do like what I have seen so far from the trailers and the plot of the game, so I am pretty sure it will be worth buying eventually, though it is realistically hard for it to surpass Arkham City and Arkham Asylum.. :P

The above gameplay video completely made all my fears go away. I feared that a new developer would drastically change the game engine, but by the looks of it, they are just taking the old Rocksteady engine and polishing it a bit. To be honest, I am entirely fine with that since the old formula was amazing. :P

My new worry: That they mess up the story, but then again, I really do like what I have seen so far from the trailers and the plot of the game, so I am pretty sure it will be worth buying eventually, though it is realistically hard for it to surpass Arkham City and Arkham Asylum.. :P

I think that if the game was on par or almost on par you'd already have an amazing game. I think there's not that much they can screw up with the basics anymore though - the premise is pretty good.

I think that if the game was on par or almost on par you'd already have an amazing game. I think there's not that much they can screw up with the basics anymore though - the premise is pretty good.

Half the fun is the combat and exploration, and if they retain that, then it will be worth the cash in my book.

Oh, and by the way, if you were buying the Arkham GOTY games in the Amazon sales, they are in the 6 hour flash sale on Greenmangaming now for 12.49 (minus the 10% discount they also give you to lower it further). Activate on Steam DRM, apparently.

Edited by Yuanrang

Do the games get better the deeper you go with them? For me, I tried playing both the first and second one. I was annoyed with the camera, the fighting felt boring and the story didn't grasp me like a Batman story usually would. But then again, I've played maybe 2-3 hours out of both of the first two games. I do think for me to enjoy it I'd need to presented with a different game engine and a new set of mechanics. But I'm definitely interested to see what everyone else has made of them.

Do the games get better the deeper you go with them? For me, I tried playing both the first and second one. I was annoyed with the camera, the fighting felt boring and the story didn't grasp me like a Batman story usually would. But then again, I've played maybe 2-3 hours out of both of the first two games. I do think for me to enjoy it I'd need to presented with a different game engine and a new set of mechanics. But I'm definitely interested to see what everyone else has made of them.

Well, if those are your issues with the game I think you're out of luck :P I really enjoy the smooth combat, never had issues with the camera and loved the story. Regarding the story though, 2-3 hours won't say very much.

Well, if those are your issues with the game I think you're out of luck :P I really enjoy the smooth combat, never had issues with the camera and loved the story. Regarding the story though, 2-3 hours won't say very much.

I could possibly stay and deal with the mechanics, the camera is a big annoyance, but if the story got a lot better I could invest time into it. There is a line for me that I found in these games and it starts with the controls. I can button mash and block my way through the first parts of the game, but the difficulty ramps up rather quickly causing me panic. So then I go through this agonising process of learning how to play well. Which is rewarding enough, but not good enough without a good story. I'm one of those gamers that can just switch off a game, It takes me like 10 seconds to get bored with a scenario. So that's probably where my fault has been. Getting frustrated fighting goons or something.

It's just weird, because Batman is awesome. I love superhereos and this genre...It bugged me that I didn't like the game and everyone I knew did.

I could possibly stay and deal with the mechanics, the camera is a big annoyance, but if the story got a lot better I could invest time into it. There is a line for me that I found in these games and it starts with the controls. I can button mash and block my way through the first parts of the game, but the difficulty ramps up rather quickly causing me panic. So then I go through this agonising process of learning how to play well. Which is rewarding enough, but not good enough without a good story. I'm one of those gamers that can just switch off a game, It takes me like 10 seconds to get bored with a scenario. So that's probably where my fault has been. Getting frustrated fighting goons or something.

It's just weird, because Batman is awesome. I love superhereos and this genre...It bugged me that I didn't like the game and everyone I knew did.

Eh, I wouldn't get overly annoyed with it, not every game is for everybody. Still, I don't see what the issue with the camera is :s And well, the story, there's not much to argue over there if you simply don't like it :P

Eh, I wouldn't get overly annoyed with it, not every game is for everybody. Still, I don't see what the issue with the camera is :s And well, the story, there's not much to argue over there if you simply don't like it :P

The way batman is constantly to the left hand side with the strange forced camera angles? HOW IS THIS NOT AN ISSUE FOR PEOPLE!! :P

The way batman is constantly to the left hand side with the strange forced camera angles? HOW IS THIS NOT AN ISSUE FOR PEOPLE!! :P

I see where you're coming from but it's zoomed out whenever anything difficult in the way of acrobatics or fighting needs to be done. I think the zoom is actually quite nice sometimes :P

The camera is actually very fluent when you start moving around a lot in the combat, because it has to zoom out from all the moves. The fighting actually tends to be complex and simplistic at the same time. There are two simple ways to dealing with things:

• Do not engage in combat at all. Take 'em all out by just disabling every enemy through stealth and gadgets. There are only a few fights which you actually have to do, hand to hand.
  • Hit every target and do not tunnelvision one simple enemy. Batman's strength is that he is mobile. He has instant KO moves to make things easier, you just need to understand how to activate them (chain up your combo number until it goes yellow, then hit E when facing an enemy). Also, dodge enemies. Flipping over enemies put you with no enemies behind you, and they are all gathered up in front of you so you can easily control the fight. Combat in the Arkham games is basically like a game of Pool. You make your shot in such a way that you always position yourself to take down the next ball. :P

As for storywise, the games do tend to be rapidly more complex than the straight-forward approach of what the beginnings would imply. Especially Arkham City is full of twists and turns, plotwise.

The camera is actually very fluent when you start moving around a lot in the combat, because it has to zoom out from all the moves. The fighting actually tends to be complex and simplistic at the same time. There are two simple ways to dealing with things:

• Do not engage in combat at all. Take 'em all out by just disabling every enemy through stealth and gadgets. There are only a few fights which you actually have to do, hand to hand.
  • Hit every target and do not tunnelvision one simple enemy. Batman's strength is that he is mobile. He has instant KO moves to make things easier, you just need to understand how to activate them (chain up your combo number until it goes yellow, then hit E when facing an enemy). Also, dodge enemies. Flipping over enemies put you with no enemies behind you, and they are all gathered up in front of you so you can easily control the fight. Combat in the Arkham games is basically like a game of Pool. You make your shot in such a way that you always position yourself to take down the next ball. :P

As for storywise, the games do tend to be rapidly more complex than the straight-forward approach of what the beginnings would imply. Especially Arkham City is full of twists and turns, plotwise.

About the combat: I'm replaying it on hard mode, and you definitely don't want to do that if you find the combat system difficult. If you do the normal difficulty though, the prompts make the combat fairly doable, I think. And while I definitely recommend stealth whenever you can, you'll want to practice big fights as well because they will happen. Just pay attention and you'll be fine.

The reviews aren't stellar :/ Glad I didn't do anything like preorder, I'll probably end up picking it up in a year or so.

Edited by reepicheep

Saw some people in my fraternity play it. Looks pretty dumb.

What about it looks dumb?

Well

Joker is the villain again and there was an incredibly forced hallucinating sequence since they have to have one of those.

Just seemed like a cash in. And not a well done one.

Well

Joker is the villain again and there was an incredibly forced hallucinating sequence since they have to have one of those.

Well, don't forget that (as far as I'm aware) this series doesn't actually have anything to do with the movies, so the Joker isn't the villain 'again' as such. The hallucinating sequences weren't forced either, I think. It was just a way of showing how Batman fought off the Scarecrow's toxin. Don't knock it until you try it :P

Well

Well, don't forget that (as far as I'm aware) this series doesn't actually have anything to do with the movies, so the Joker isn't the villain 'again' as such. The hallucinating sequences weren't forced either, I think. It was just a way of showing how Batman fought off the Scarecrow's toxin. Don't knock it until you try it :P

What.

The Joker has been the villain in every single game. Arkham Asylum's hallucinating sequences were awesome and the one in this game is awful.

What are you talking about.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Guidelines and Privacy Policy.