Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
error404

Is a loaded die "random"

A question I got asked: assuming that the normal die is random, not pseudo-random, would a loaded die be random? According to mathematics, random is the unpredictability of events, thus both randomness and bias can co-exist mutually, as far as I know.

If the die is random, would be a 100% loaded die be random? If you loaded it so much that it was guaranteed to land on one side.

Edited by error404

You might find this video useful.

Also, if it's 100% guaranteed, then it's not random as far as I'm aware.

Edited by MFI

I would assume that loaded simply means that it's biased. Yes, it is random, and yes, Numberphile videos are da bomb. Bias doesn't change randomness.

I would assume that loaded simply means that it's biased. Yes, it is random, and yes, Numberphile videos are da bomb. Bias doesn't change randomness.

But if it's guaranteed to land on one side, choosing "3" from 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3 surely isn't random?

But if it's guaranteed to land on one side, choosing "3" from 3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3,3 surely isn't random?

Well, no. I would say that randomness requires a range of possibilities. But loaded generally implies bias, not guarantee.

Well, no. I would say that randomness requires a range of possibilities. But loaded generally implies bias, not guarantee.

I agree with you, but OP said this:

If you loaded it so much that it was guaranteed to land on one side.

Oh shoot, didn't see that. Then it isn't random, because the outcome is guaranteed, you're right.

Oh shoot, didn't see that. Then it isn't random, because the outcome is guaranteed, you're right.

But the definition of random doesn't take into account the amount of possibilities, so in theory the die is random, even though it would land on 3 all the time...or am I missing something here?

Is there a real difference between multiple possibilities and just one?

But the definition of random doesn't take into account the amount of possibilities, so in theory the die is random, even though it would land on 3 all the time...or am I missing something here?

Is there a real difference between multiple possibilities and just one?

Randomness means a lack of predictability. If there are multiple possibilities, (And we're assuming these aren't predictable, although of course with a real die there are factors that will ultimately determine it, wind, initial trajectory, etc etc,), then the outcome is not predictable. If there is only one possibility - it is trivial to predict the outcome; it is that possibility.

Edited by Mano