Sal's RuneScape Forum

That's true, I forgot about the 750k requirement.

Well I've seen Mod Ash say something about it not being on the table at the moment. I guess we can only really cross our fingers that they reconsider down the road.

I agree with nistyr that Runescape in general is losing players but not necessarily for those reasons. Sure there have been bad decisions made but the real problem is that the game's genre is losing its popularity. World of Warcraft is going through a similar (more drastic actually) decrease in activity. Not much Jagex can do about it.

Got to agree with Sobend; the industry goes in cycles, as do other industries like film for instance. Certain genres, sub-genres and the like are popular at different times. Sure, Jagex have changed a lot recently and that's alienated a lot of people, but I think that's more down to simple refusal to adapt and embrace what's new. MMORPG will have it's time again, and when it does so will RuneScape.

I don't think it's MMORPGs as a whole that are seeing a decline. It's subscription based games that are losing players. There are still a lot of wildly popular MMOs, like League of Legends.

Most MMOs nowadays use the free-to-play model, but almost always have a real life cash shop that gives some sort of advantage or bonus over non-paying players. RuneScape sort of has this with Squeals and Solomon's Store, but I feel like it was executed poorly. I'm not so sure Jagex's refusal to adapt is what caused a decline in players, I think it's the way they adapted.