Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Zooey

What do/did you enjoy about Runescape?

And if you've quit, what made you? I'm kinda curious as to why so many people, including me, have just completely lost interest.

The simple f2p gameplay and social aspect was the most appealing to me, plus I'd never played a game with their type of quest system. The simplicity of the game was also a huge draw for me. I was never a fan of dungeoneering and the direction the game took after that just didn't appeal to me.

I think at first, it was the simplicity of the F2P game that drew me in. What kept me going was not only my OCD mentality of keep improving in an RPG. After that, it was the social attachments and community here and in the end, it was my Clan and the PvP.

As friends moved on and the Clan Community started dying, it was time to move over to a different game and enjoy that instead and I never really looked back.

Literally the only reason I came back is because of the community but now that I'm back I find that I'm enjoying both the variety and the fact that I can play it while doing something else. It's also really the first proper MMO I ever played and the world just amazed me so much. It became very real to me.

The F2P for me also. Since I could only play for a bit every weekend, I would crave for my time.

I loved "finding" my friends. I would walk around looking for a green dot. It made me happy to see an irl friend.

I loved exploring.

Then I quit when all my friends quit. When I came back later, it was quite different and I loved training. I remember pkng.

I kinda quit when I found it was too boring. I found that taking turns while attacking was boring. My guthix/rune armor looked so cool.

I don't like talking about it now. Makes me feel so sad. ^.^

Literally the only reason I came back is because of the community but now that I'm back I find that I'm enjoying both the variety and the fact that I can play it while doing something else. It's also really the first proper MMO I ever played and the world just amazed me so much. It became very real to me.

Seems like community is a driving force, shame how it's so small now. And to think we left because everyone else did! :P

I liked the fact that it didn't have a downloaded client (like Maplestory, the only other F2P MMO I knew of back before I had disposable income, did), that it could be played mouse-only, that it was AFK-able, and that it wasn't mainly combat-based like almost all MMOs were and are.

The adventure aspect was the best part for me. After that what kept me playing was trying to unlock everything. But after awhile in freeplay there isn't much to unlock so now I don't play too much.

I like how you can do literally anything you want. I don't really like the direction the game has taken the last couple years, but I stay because of, well, you guys in the clan and friends chat.

Though it saddens me that the friends chat is usually empty or quiet.

Also, 2,000th post... just saying :P

Edited by Big Tree

Probably the simplicity, and the fact that my first six accounts or so (this one, I believe, is my seventh or eighth) were basically you-die-you-lose things, where once I died, I started a new account. So, that was some added challenge that I tossed in because I don't know why.

And then after that it was almost certainly the community and the amount of things to do. Now, there's more to do, sure, but the community is terrible and the updates are bad (especially the lodestone update, which is by far the worst thing to ever happen. Catering to lazy and stupid is not how you make a good game), and the game has all around started to suck. I'd probably play more, but training combat in EoC is just horrendous (mind, the entire rest of EoC is great, the weaknesses and specificity of dealing damage to creatures with a weakness is awful, especially for experience), and combat was a big part of the game for me years ago. Another factor is probably the fact that you absolutely must know one hundred percent exactly what to do, in a very precise manner, every millisecond in order to make any money at all. Add that to crashing prices for everything that used to be good (kingdom hauls) and it's just not fun to play anymore. Making money and skilling is even more of a grind now that it was before EoC, which was supposed to remove part of the grinding aspect. While I'm talking about grinding, Ports is a massive offender of grind-and-you-will-get-rich. If you don't have level 90 in one of those skills, what do you do? You grind, and grind, and grind. I'm pretty sure it's not even that great for money any more. There's too much high-level content, and there's too much low-level content. Needs more mid-level content. That's what was great about it before. Plenty of content for all levels. Now, I can't do jack shizzle because I'm mid-level, I've done all the low-level stuff, and all that's left is high-level stuff that I can't do for another five years, because I'll be grinding skills that whole time.

That's my rant on why I play less, good bye.

Edited by Amber Pyre

The adventure aspect was the best part for me. After that what kept me playing was trying to unlock everything. But after awhile in freeplay there isn't much to unlock so now I don't play too much.

You said you were getting members for a month, right? Has that turned out to be enjoyable for you?

I enjoyed it for the combat, skills, quest, chat, and mini game systems. Back around when I started January 2008 at least. A lot of updates since then have be bad in my opinion, and the graphic overhaul was bad to me. The simple look was good, but now everything has spikes and people stand really oddly. The chat faces were preferable back then, and it's caused a lot of game feel to go down. Now I'm the only one of the group of friends that still plays, and even then probably only two hours of eoc and 07 combined.

Edited by One Eye57

It's a really straightforward game, and you could play it at your own pace.

The fact that it was a unique medieval MMO that was based off of the legends/fairy tales of the medieval world was what got me into it. I have an undying love for all thing medieval. It was a game that needed time to invest in order to get far. The skills were diverse and fun. There was so much that made this game fun.

I think the price rise per month did me in. I remember paying $5 a month for membership. Sure, it's still somewhat affordable now, but the loss in population of the game also did me in too.

I also, will admit, I started botting on my main because I saw more potential in gearing a pker than my main. I believe both accounts aren't banned, I have just forgotten my passwords and usernames (had only 3 accounts, 1 main, 1 pker, 1 skiller. Main and skiller would bot time to time).

edit: Okay, Main and skiller should've been banned, but I cannot verify due to not knowing my usernames/passwords

Edited by Tsunayoshi

1)Clan PvP wars and the competitive Clan Community, 2)PKing, 3)Quests, 4)Bossing, 5)Training (back when all, or at least most, 99s were considered very impressive achievements. I liked looking up to people with better stats than me and work hard to become as good as them)

And, of course, above all the Sal's community and the friends I made clanning. Had I not joined Sal's I am 100% sure I would have permanently quit a long long time ago. And like others said I think the simplicity of the game is also something I really liked/like. It was easy to learn how to play, and the graphics were pretty decent for a java game.

It's kinda sad to think that of the things I enjoy the most about the game three no longer exist in the version I play: Clan PvP wars and PKing (well PKing still exists but it's a shadow of it's former self) and the incentive to train (pretty much everyone has pretty high combat and total nowadays and very few achievements are considered impressive).

That leaves me with just the Quests (and I'll eventually complete them all now that I have nothing else to do), Bossing and the Sal's community.

:/

What interested me was the sheer amount of content yet it was so simple to play. Also just the fact of improving skills is always a plus in any game. I also lost a lot of interest when dungeoneering came in... my least favorite skill by far!

I used to enjoy going to house parties, or working on skills. When EOC came out, even though I knew it was going to ruin the game, I was excited to try the combat abilities. But then that's when I learned how bad their new "and improved" their combat system was. Considering they did that to a feature that has been in the game as long as combat has, made me not want to play anymore. I mean, what else are they going to change? I still get on occassionally, to goof off, and train skills.

1) The competitiveness. I loved getting my levels slowly onto the high-scores, and then seeing the ranks go up ever so slowly. I remember when some of my friends introduced me to the game I said something like "I'm going to get level 100 in everything and be the best!" Of course, at the time I had no idea the cap was 99.

2) Upgrades. I always looked forward to getting 70 Attack for a whip, being able to make Nature runes for dat cash money money$$, and being able to make a gilded altar, etc.

3) Probably the biggest one, the community. W46 Ape Atoll, Rouges Den, Varrock West bank, Sals chat, PoH parties... And probably a lot of other really memorable places I can't think of off the top of my head.

i tried it again today and as soon as i logged in and walked out of the bank i was getting flamed for wearing a quest item which makes me a "poor fgt"

i think that's why

also because i keep losing money

and i have no patience sometimes

I loved how this game offered such a variety of things to do at that time. It was simple and easy to get into for new players. After developers started to change game appearance and adding Dungeoneering, SoF & other pointless things, I completely lost interest in it. EoC only put the mess deeper than it was. I'm pretty much done with EoC RS.

You said you were getting members for a month, right? Has that turned out to be enjoyable for you?

Well I haven't used my card yet. I'll probably use it in a couple of days. I assume I'll have more fun but I'm not expecting it's going to be like the old days again.

It's funny to think about how much fun I used to have compared to how much I have now. People say it's content but I'm sure growing up has a thing to do with it too.

Edited by Sobend

It's funny to think about how much fun I used to have compared to how much I have now. People say it's content but I'm sure growing up has a thing to do with it too.

You're right, when we're younger everything just seems so much funner than it really is. I still like and find RuneScape fun, but nowhere near as much as I used to.

You're right, when we're younger everything just seems so much funner than it really is. I still like and find RuneScape fun, but nowhere near as much as I used to.

I can only speak for myself, but I think it has to do with a sense of loss of adventure as well. I probably enjoyed the game the most when the map seemed huge and foreign. Every new place I went to had some danger in it because I was unsure if there were any threats I was unaware of. Now the map seems pretty small and I know how to do everything. There's no sense of adventure for me. I've always thought of Runescape as a fantasy adventure game.

For me, It was just the community aspect that I enjoyed. Being in a clan and 2 scrollsworth(as in scrolling down all the way twice :P) of friends online at all times was amazing. I started playing back in 2006 and been hooked on it all the way until 2010. I enjoyed my first experiences such as seeing varrock for the first time and getting owned by dark wizards. Also I enjoyed how this game didn't require a downloadable client especially because my computer was really bad. These times when I was a noob is what i enjoyed the most. Although i continued playing even after I was a noob and still enjoyed it was because the community here and my friends list kept me enjoying the game. I would log on and always have something new to do everyday whether it would be work on a 99 or make an RSMV for fun. I for one feel like I didn't quit because of the community, I quit because there were other games out there such as WoW, etc. Eventually when I came back everyone quit so I never returned.

~dizzy

I enjoy/enjoyed a lot of the things already mentioned. (adventure, community, simplicity, no installation reqiured)

What I think really keeps me returning to rs is that I get to play by my own rules. it's kind of an escape for me.

I can be as non-conformist as I wish and suffer no consequences. I don't have to worry about what I look like or what I am wearing. I don't have to worry about how I act or how others react. I can be penny wise and pound foolish. I don't have to be a jerk. I can do things the hard and go my own way. I can be incompetent and irresponsible.

these are not things I would try at home/irl.

Edited by Gantowisa

oh man, in 2007, me and me friend racing for everything f2p. He had a head start of about a month on me though. It ended up being a competition to kill elvarg (which i was so desperate to win i went with salmon before he had tried and lied to him about how powerful elvarg was), after that race to full rune, race to get all the random event costumes, etc. He won all of those, and then he got members, so i quickly followed suit. He quit in 2009 but i kept playing till about boxing day 2010, when I got my ps3. I didnt play properly after that untill about the diamond jubilee last year, when i reinstated my members and got to grips with all the new changes.