Sal's RuneScape Forum
dizzy

Is Runescape declining? If so, why do you think?

After quitting runescape years ago, I've been feeling nostalgic lately and kind of want to come back to the game(I made an attempt last year but it didn't last more than a month) It seems to me that everyone i talk to says runescape is dying. Why is this? Did Jagex really made updates that made people quit such as the EOC? I'm just curious and I normally don't post here anymore :P

~dizzy

To me their attempts at making the game more appealing have only made the game seem worse (to me). It seems like its individuality and uniqueness was lost a long time ago, which I know a lot of people loved.

Edited by Zooey

I think they have a chance to "right" the ship with RS3 somewhat. They won't get back everyone but I think, at least for a while, activity will go up. That is, if they don't screw it up.

I think RS has declined but I don't think its about to die.

Runescpae lost its flair when it started to lose its originality with newer updates. They updated too fast and the new content became either boring or unnecessary, and the fans were not being recognized. JaGex finally decided to listen to what fans wanted and made a server to play the game to good old ways it was meant to play and at its strongest. However, this decision was too late and by then, a lot of RuneScape's population had gone down. Still, there are the die-hard fans that will remain to play the game, but if RS3 does not do the game justice, then only the hardcore players will remain.

However, I would recommend the game to people wanting to start out the MMO genre. The game's basics are easily to learn and discipline a newcomer to enjoy MMOs for what they are. Hell, if I hadn't played Runescape, I would not be playing more MMOs.

Runescpae lost its flair when it started to lose its originality with newer updates. They updated too fast and the new content became either boring or unnecessary

^

like he said

but most people hate eoc while i love it, best update ever in my opinion

at least now you can do something more then hoping you hit and wait for it

Edited by siverion

It started declining ages ago, pretty much as soon as IVP bought controlling interest of the company. RS3 doesn't look too promising either.

Even an expanding universe with multiplayer can become stale.

Everything dies, just be thankful it's not milk.

I think it's actually more of a loss in interest in the genre than it is the actual content of the game. I feel like Jagex's moves to make the game the way it is now were to counter the declining activity, so I don't think the content is really a catalyzing thing.

I think it's mainly because of three things:

1. EOC. It was a complete change, of a major feature of the game. Instead of adding more worlds with this feature included, they forced it upon everybody, and there are many people who don't like it.

2. Solomons/Squeal of Fortune. And update is coming out at what seems like once a week for these 2 things, which is obviously raking in the money for Jagex, but many people feel it is like RWTing. I.e; buying runescape items/experience/advantages for real life money.

3. Some people feel like Jagex is ignoring their community, and completely focusing on the money.

1. EOC. It was a complete change, of a major feature of the game. Instead of adding more worlds with this feature included, they forced it upon everybody, and there are many people who don't like it.

2. Solomons/Squeal of Fortune. And update is coming out at what seems like once a week for these 2 things, which is obviously raking in the money for Jagex, but many people feel it is like RWTing. I.e; buying runescape items/experience/advantages for real life money.

3. Some people feel like Jagex is ignoring their community, and completely focusing on the money.

I still don't think that the SoF has made Runescape pay-to-win at all. You'll get some money, sure, but buying spins for money is not a viable option. Plus, the items that come out are obtainable outside of the SoF and not awfully amazing. I mean, the Lamp of the Djinn was wonderful and all but at most 20k exp per skill which is peanuts when you compare it to what you need to get a 99.

Regarding EoC: adding extra worlds with EoC would not be viable in any way. Either EoC, ie. something that Jagex spent a lot of time and money on, would die and they'd lose their investment or the old-school combat would die - and essentially with '07 it did die. Of course, '07 didn't just die because of the combat, but still. EoC was Jagex's way of keeping Runescape relevant. I appreciate the fact that people dislike it but I don't see why it is particularly awful - some strategy when it comes to fighting is now advantages, especially with the greater focus on weaknesses, it's more interactive, it's another way in which high skill levels are rewarded (by way of action unlocks), and so on and so forth.

I still don't think that the SoF has made Runescape pay-to-win at all. You'll get some money, sure, but buying spins for money is not a viable option. Plus, the items that come out are obtainable outside of the SoF and not awfully amazing. I mean, the Lamp of the Djinn was wonderful and all but at most 20k exp per skill which is peanuts when you compare it to what you need to get a 99.

Regarding EoC: adding extra worlds with EoC would not be viable in any way. Either EoC, ie. something that Jagex spent a lot of time and money on, would die and they'd lose their investment or the old-school combat would die - and essentially with '07 it did die. Of course, '07 didn't just die because of the combat, but still. EoC was Jagex's way of keeping Runescape relevant. I appreciate the fact that people dislike it but I don't see why it is particularly awful - some strategy when it comes to fighting is now advantages, especially with the greater focus on weaknesses, it's more interactive, it's another way in which high skill levels are rewarded (by way of action unlocks), and so on and so forth.

I'm just noting things that I have noticed other complaining about, and as you probably noticed, those were the most common complaints.

I can personally say I lost interest when they were adding in what felt like multiple quests and new items every week. If you weren't playing this game 8 hours a day there's no way to actually "catch up" so to speak...

I found myself actually falling into my old habits moreso instead of branching out and trying new things in the game, simply because I felt there was no time before something new came out.

I want to give it a try with RS3 but I feel as though this game has lost its identity. There's so much random stuff now... Like amulets for example. At this games peak the Fury had just come out and the Glory amulet was still worth ~ 100k.

Now it's possible to have a bank page with like 60 different amulets and it seems like 5 of them do the same thing. It's just gotten ... messy.

I remember when my ATT rating was horrible and I trained non stop to be able to use my Rune Scim...

Got members a month later and no lifed it until I could afford a d-med and d-scim

Now it seems like there's 60 different weapons that could be used in place and take no time, or a simple quest to be able to use.

It was a sense of improvement and desire to be able to use something, now that's gone in place of 1000 useless items.

It's declining, yeah. I honestly think a movement towards smartphones and tablets could bring a resurgence.

Jagex is definitely in decline. The management don't listen to the players, and keep driving away large sections of the player base with unpopular changes. Runescape is now a confusing mess that doesn't run properly on most browsers. It has has lost all the charm, simplicity, social interaction and regular quests updates that made it fun, and the players that have stuck with it are being bled dry to fund Jagex's long string of failed games. Mechscape, Stellar Dawn, FunOrb, 8 Realms, and the biggest money pit of all, the 6 years late Transformers MMO.

I like the new Runescape. I don't understand why everbody hates it?

I don't think everybody hates it. Some people do, some people don't. I don't hate it either.

I like the new Runescape. I don't understand why everbody hates it?

I wouldn't go as far as to say people "hate" it. People just in general just don't like change especially when it's large change. Some may actually quit but several will return, and will get used to the system.

As soon as HD came out RS started declining badly. People like change, but a lot of people didn't like the complexity change. Needless to say people like the Old School version of runescape and now most have left and refuse to return. Jagex tried to adapt and change, but failed miserably in doing so.

Runescape is definitly declining and not just at a slow rate. This game is losing players at a high rate for a few reasons. Runescape started reapid declining a few months ago back when eoc first came out. EOC has lost runescape majority of its players for a few reasons. For the first part EOC was not an option instead it was forced upon many unwilling players who did not want a change in the games combat. This ruined many gamers view of runescape and overall lost them plenty of fans. EOC created loss of originalty and made as one of those other MMOs. Another reason for runescapes lacking is because JAgex refuses to listen to the fans. When jagex finally listened and brought out 07 scape it was far to late and many of the players had already lost intrest and had quit the game. If runescape does not come to realize the damage that they have done they will shut down.

I've come back after about a year or two's hiatus. I have no idea when EOC came out but all I know is this game has become way more complex than it used to. Some changes are fine, some just make things to difficult. Why do I have to open a big cumbersome window in my game screen to change combat styles or to see my combat level? And I know the ability bar was made in EOC to somehow make the game more "exciting" but i really doesn't add much other than the fact you can mash some keyboard buttons to get some extra damage. Now, with that said, I like how RS3 lets the game take up the whole screen and I can adjust the menu sizes and a few other changes. The game is still fun, but just not as fun as it used to be.

It's definitely declining in the last few months, nowadays there are NEVER any worlds that are full, and I'm seeing populations as low as in the 100's. They need to change something for the better, and SOON, maybe even more blatant advertising in places, just something. It's on a downhill roll.

Don't forget there's a lot less bots too, the game didn't lose as many players as the empty worlds suggest.

Lost quite a few players not denying that, but I think it lost considerably less players than the online members counter makes it seem.

But yeah you're right, JaGeX should start advertising the game again. They probably already do I don't know, but clearly there's room for improvement.

Has Jagex ever advertised the game? In America anyway it seems like the only way to find about the game was through word of mouth or seeing a game card sold at a 7-11.

Oh yeah I forgot about miniclip. I'm not sure if Jagex actually paid for those ads though; it was just part of the deal to bring Runescape on miniclip. I was thinking more along the lines of other stuff. For example World of Warcraft does a ton of internet ads (occasionally even on runescape.com) and even some tv slots. I haven't seen Jagex come close to that (albeit Blizzard probably has a bit more money).