Sal's RuneScape Forum

iPhone 5C packaging surfaces

http://www.macrumors.com/2013/07/28/photo-of-plastic-packaging-with-iphone-5c-name-surfaces/

An image posted on Chinese site WeiPhone appears to show plastic retail packaging marked with the name "iPhone 5C". If the packaging is genuine, and it has not yet been confirmed to be, it could be for Apple's long-rumored plastic iPhone. The image was first noticed by French site Nowhereelse.fr [Google Translate].

iPhone-5C.jpg

The "C" designation would presumably refer to the various color options available on the rumored lower-cost device.

The packaging appears to be a white plastic box that would hold the device and associated accessories and documentation. A front cover, unseen in the photo but perhaps clear to show off the various color options for the device itself as seen on Apple's iPod lineups, would appear to rest on a small lip around the interior.

A number of photos showing plastic rear shells alleged to be for Apple's rumored lower-cost iPhone have surfaced in recent weeks, and Apple is rumored to be launching the device alongside the iPhone 5S later this year.

The WeiPhone forums are a fairly frequent source of Apple rumors, although the site itself does not frequently report on them, making it difficult to determine a steady track record as posting in the site's forums come from a variety of different posters. Still, the alleged plastic packaging and official look of the "iPhone 5C" moniker appear to have some legitimacy, and would increasingly make sense as Apple may be gearing up for a launch of the low-cost iPhone this Fall.

I honestly wonder what the C stands for.

A plastic iPhone, why.

As long as it feels better than the complete shizzle Galaxy S 3 and 4.

Because they're going to be launching multiple models in order to better compete in emerging markets. This isn't a flagship by any means.

Edited by Adam?

I'm guessing this is fake, because I don't see Apple launching any low-quality products any time soon. I'm not an industry expert but they've always kept themselves to the highest standards (and charged double for it :cute:), why start now? They've got a solid foothold in most markets, plus you can get cheap iPhones by buying last-gen phones.

I'm guessing this is fake, because I don't see Apple launching any low-quality products any time soon. I'm not an industry expert but they've always kept themselves to the highest standards (and charged double for it :cute:), why start now? They've got a solid foothold in most markets, plus you can get cheap iPhones by buying last-gen phones.

I'm assuming the margins on the iPhone 4 aren't what Apple is looking for. A cheaper iPhone is all but guaranteed, and they'll have to keep introducing new iPhone models if they want to compete with Samsung who offers a phone at virtually any specification. (Except for high-end specifications with a smaller screen size.)

Highest standards? Huh? My 1st generation iPod Shuffle would like a word with you

Highest standards? Huh? My 1st generation iPod Shuffle would like a word with you

Ah, I see. Well, all experience I've had with their products were good ones, but I've only experienced the apple ecosystem from when they released the iPod touch 2G.

I'm assuming the margins on the iPhone 4 aren't what Apple is looking for. A cheaper iPhone is all but guaranteed, and they'll have to keep introducing new iPhone models if they want to compete with Samsung who offers a phone at virtually any specification. (Except for high-end specifications with a smaller screen size.)

That is a good point but I just don't see Apple putting out a shizzlety phone. Because if it is shizzlety, the phone will get awful reviews and that would not be good for Apple.

Ah, I see. Well, all experience I've had with their products were good ones, but I've only experienced the apple ecosystem from when they released the iPod touch 2G.

That is a good point but I just don't see Apple putting out a shizzlety phone. Because if it is shizzlety, the phone will get awful reviews and that would not be good for Apple.

It's not going to be a shizzlety phone. It's going to be a mid-range phone made from cheaper materials and a weaker processor going after an entirely different market segment than their new high-end phone (probably the 5s). The selling point is going to be iOS itself and the ecosystem inherent.

Edited by Adam?

It's not going to be a shizzlety phone. It's going to be a mid-range phone made from cheaper materials and a weaker processor going after an entirely different market segment than their new high-end phone (probably the 5s). The selling point is going to be iOS itself and the ecosystem inherent.

I get that. However, if you've ever seen the lower quality Android phones you know that it's prone to being absolute crap. I get that this is Apple but I'm not sure they can make a phone that is cheap and still not crap, given that iOS is so bloated at this point.

I get that. However, if you've ever seen the lower quality Android phones you know that it's prone to being absolute crap. I get that this is Apple but I'm not sure they can make a phone that is cheap and still not crap, given that iOS is so bloated at this point.

I mean, it's literally just going to be a 4-inch phone with a hard plastic shell and the iPhone 4s' processor. They're not going to make a piece of shizzle when they're only selling two phones. I don't really understand your point.

Edited by Adam?

I mean, it's literally just going to be a 4-inch phone with a hard plastic shell and the iPhone 4s' processor. They're not going to make a piece of shizzle when they're only selling two phones. I don't really understand your point.

It's going to be a 4-inch phone that is cheap. My point is that I don't see how Apple will manage to keep the same kind of user experience given that iOS is seriously bloated and I just doubt it'd be any good for Apple.

It's going to be a 4-inch phone that is cheap. My point is that I don't see how Apple will manage to keep the same kind of user experience given that iOS is seriously bloated and I just doubt it'd be any good for Apple.

It's not going to be cheap, it's going to be mid-range. My iPhone 4 performs perfectly well on iOS 6 and this phone is going to have a better processor. It's meant to address a financial reality, yes, but Apple isn't going to launch a phone unless it can handle its OS (which is far less bloated than Android; my Nexus 7 is practically unusable). The cheaper iPhone's main purpose is to deliver iOS into as many hands as possible while delivering sufficient margins to Apple. It's going to be able to handle its own operating system.

It's not going to be cheap, it's going to be mid-range. My iPhone 4 performs perfectly well on iOS 6 and this phone is going to have a better processor. It's meant to address a financial reality, yes, but Apple isn't going to launch a phone unless it can handle its OS (which is far less bloated than Android; my Nexus 7 is practically unusable). The cheaper iPhone's main purpose is to deliver iOS into as many hands as possible while delivering sufficient margins to Apple. It's going to be able to handle its own operating system.

I know that Apple would do that, otherwise they wouldn't put it out. My question was whether they could. Perhaps they can. Anyway, Android is super bloated, so comparing iOS to it doesn't say much :P I know, however, that at this point the iPhone 3G S just sucks when running iOS 6 so it has become significantly more bloated, though if it is actually a 4S processor it might be fine depending on RAM.

I know that Apple would do that, otherwise they wouldn't put it out. My question was whether they could. Perhaps they can. Anyway, Android is super bloated, so comparing iOS to it doesn't say much :P I know, however, that at this point the iPhone 3G S just sucks when running iOS 6 so it has become significantly more bloated, though if it is actually a 4S processor it might be fine depending on RAM.

You brought up the comparison first. Honestly I think it's going to be a hit. The continued popularity of the iPhone 4 displays a desire for Apple products at most levels of the market.

You brought up the comparison first. Honestly I think it's going to be a hit. The continued popularity of the iPhone 4 displays a desire for Apple products at most levels of the market.

It certainly could be, but I'm not entirely convinced they'll be able to beat Android at lower price ranges.

It certainly could be, but I'm not entirely convinced they'll be able to beat Android at lower price ranges.

Again, they're after the middle market, not the lower market. And the iPhone 4 is still selling well.

Again, they're after the middle market, not the lower market. And the iPhone 4 is still selling well.

But presumably then this phone would have higher margins than the iPhone 4? Otherwise I don't really see the point.

But presumably then this phone would have higher margins than the iPhone 4? Otherwise I don't really see the point.

You should probably call Tim Cook and tell him this cheaper iPhone idea is stupid.

I honestly don't see Apple trying to "cheap out" with this. I don't think they'd just try with phones when they have expensive laptops. I think if they wanted to hit the cheaper price range, they'd do it with all the products, not just phones. Apple has to much going for them to just start making cheap products.