Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fatalysm

Surge in spam?

Something needs to be done to stop these spammers getting useless rubbish inside the forums. Obviously the weird thing is that they can already get through the security measures. So either they are awesome bots or they are regular people signing up. Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove them easier?

Invision Power Board does have an Anti-Spam system integrated into the ACP of the forums. I'm wondering if there is more that could be done with that. Perhaps more restrictions need to be placed upon new members, but then that's not really fair on legitimate members who want to participate.

I'm looking for some modifications, but most just ban and don't filter.

Well, I don't see it as a big issue. There's usually a DM on who can get rid of it in forums that we have power over and there's usually a mod that can get rid of the rest. Anything beyond simple measures would probably cause trouble for other normal members.

There's no more than we've been dealing with for well over a year now and it's easily and quickly resolved, last couple of weeks have been a little slower in the non-RS sections but there's been a lot of other stuff ongoing with the guide drive.

Ah that's okay then, it's good that it's easily dealt with. But are there any easy fixes to ensure it doesn't really happen. Or is that just being pedantic?

Ah that's okay then, it's good that it's easily dealt with. But are there any easy fixes to ensure it doesn't really happen. Or is that just being pedantic?

A little :cute: I question whether the effort required to get more measures up and running are worth it, especially considering that they may not help that much. Plus, I'm guessing that very few people would actually fall for these scams, so I would say that the problem is more aesthetic than anything. And scams that aren't obvious would probably bypass the system anyway :P

Something needs to be done to stop these spammers getting useless rubbish inside the forums. Obviously the weird thing is that they can already get through the security measures. So either they are awesome bots or they are regular people signing up. Anyone have any suggestions on how to remove them easier?

Invision Power Board does have an Anti-Spam system integrated into the ACP of the forums. I'm wondering if there is more that could be done with that. Perhaps more restrictions need to be placed upon new members, but then that's not really fair on legitimate members who want to participate.

Well, here is basically the issue:

Quite some time ago, we realised that we were having some validation issues with new members signing up because suddenly, there were validation threads popping up everywhere and add on to the fact that they were not validated all that efficiently either, so we simply turned off Administrator Validation since we have some anti-spam/anti-flood modifications running. (IE: Do not refresh the forum pages or post many replies in a short timeframe or you will just get blocked from the site. :cute: )

This in turn let the occasional spambot slip through the cracks by our automated systems. This has actually gone on for quite a while now, so it is not a recent surge at all.

That said, we do have an idea on how to fix it. In the past, we used a custom modification that basically denied any New Member with less than X posts (X used to be between 1 to 5) to posts which contained links or images. When we upgraded the forum, that modification got broken and it has been slightly tricky to work around. The idea is for Sal to fix/code it when he gets the time, but it is not exactly the top priority for his spare time at the moment, simply because it is handled efficiently as it is (in my opinion). There is the occasional thread that stays unhidden for some hours now and then on a day where most of us is absent, but... you know... that happens. :cute:

Anyway, no need to look for a modification or something. We are on the case already, but I could not possibly give you an estimated timeframe for the fix. It is done when Sal has the time to make it. :P

Edited by Yuanrang

Well, here is basically the issue:

Quite some time ago, we realised that we were having some validation issues with new members signing up because suddenly, there were validation threads popping up everywhere and add on to the fact that they were not validated all that efficiently either, so we simply turned off Administrator Validation since we have some anti-spam/anti-flood modifications running. (IE: Do not refresh the forum pages or post many replies in a short timeframe or you will just get blocked from the site. :cute: )

This in turn let the occasional spambot slip through the cracks by our automated systems. This has actually gone on for quite a while now, so it is not a recent surge at all.

That said, we do have an idea on how to fix it. In the past, we used a custom modification that basically denied any New Member with less than X posts (X used to be between 1 to 5) to posts which contained links or images. When we upgraded the forum, that modification got broken and it has been slightly tricky to work around. The idea is for Sal to fix/code it when he gets the time, but it is not exactly the top priority for his spare time at the moment, simply because it is handled efficiently as it is (in my opinion). There is the occasional thread that stays unhidden for some hours now and then on a day where most of us is absent, but... you know... that happens. :cute:

Anyway, no need to look for a modification or something. We are on the case already, but I could not possibly give you an estimated timeframe for the fix. It is done when Sal has the time to make it. :P

Ahahaha!

I got down to the last paragraph just about to jump in and thoroughly search for a modification. But you out-gamed me to the process. I like that other people already know my next move. I figured something had changed.

Fix it like he fixed the tutorial section AMIRIGHTGUIZ. :P

You've also happily explained why I occasionally get blocked. My internet lags out, so I refresh the pages a million times and get blocked :P.

Should just make a section for new members to chat with people before they get access to the public....oh wait, it's called the scape lounge...

Anyway, cheers for solving that dilemma!

You've also happily explained why I occasionally get blocked. My internet lags out, so I refresh the pages a million times and get blocked :P.

Should just make a section for new members to chat with people before they get access to the public....oh wait, it's called the scape lounge...

Usually, the block is entirely avoided if you browse regularily. Repeatedly spamming F5 or loading a ton of topics at the same time will get you shut out temporarily (or, if your name is Lilshu or otherwise emulate him, permanently unless you contact Sal to give you access again :aware: ) until your IP is just automatically removed from the "Do not allow" list.

We already have a section for validating members and, as you say, the Scape Lounge is basically the hang-out spot for those that are New Members. :P