Sal's RuneScape Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Sobend

How did you start playing Runescape.

I thought I'd start another one of these topics. Post how you found out about the game, etc. I'm sure everyone has some sort of story besides "I randomly typed in runescape.com and made an account lol."

I first heard about the game through a good friend who I knew when I was growing up. I went over to his house and the first thing he did was show me the game. I watched him kill a chicken, cut down a tree, make a fire, and burn the chicken. Exciting. After that I basically gave him the why am I wasting my time watching this nerd bullshizzle look and he got the message. For the remainder of the day we did something stereotypical boys that age would do like play touch football or race in the pool. Months later I hear some really annoying kids in my class talk about this game called Runescape. The game sounded vaguely familiar from the experience I had with my friend so I decided to try so I could act all pro to the annoying kids. I created on a Friday afternoon an account which I got lost somewhere in Varrock, so I made Sobend. This time I played safe and stayed in Lumbridge. I got to level 20 or something killing cows and over time got iron armor and stuff. Then when those kids were talking about it in class I barged in (this was a little before Runescape was well known and considered nerdy by kids that age) and began talking about how good I was. After getting yelled at the teacher for talking too loudly about my iron longsword they were like woahhh. I found it funny. Later I talked to my friend who originally introduced me to the game and he taught me some more stuff, like how to communicate with other players by typing (I did not figure that out on my own sadly >.<). From there I kept training my combat stats and also began doing mining and smithing. And then Runescape and I lived happily ever after.

So share your stories. I know it was a long time ago for all of you but I think we all remember how we began to play. Also try to prevent yourself from getting nostalgic and saying "runescape was sooo much more fun then man." We know you think that already.

When I was 8 my mom signed me up for this computer camp at one of the local colleges, and one of my closest friends at the time was there. He saw me playing Lego games online and said I should try RS, so I did.

Nothing really interesting.

Basically I found it by accident. My first year of college my roomate's family came to visit from the UK. I let her little brother use my laptop to play a couple of games, one of which was Runescape. When my roomate saw this she said that she plays RS too. And showed me on her pc. She even let me try out her character for awhile.

Soon I had my own account and was quite addicted for awhile. It was fun trying to play catch up. It was nice to have my rooomate and her brother and their friends look out for me and help me and each other out. None of them play anymore. But most of them visit now and then.

I started for a similar reason to Sobend. All of the kids at school were talking about it, so I wanted to be in on the conversations. I still remember the date I created my first account, March 6, 2006. It was named Hoponpop55 (Thank god I didn't stick with that name :s), and I somehow died and my stuff. This was the first game I'd played with death penalties like losing items, so I thought I was totally boned. I made a second account to which I've now forgotten the name, and repeated a similar process of dying. I called it quits for the day.

The next day at school I started discussing the game with peers. They told me about the general store where I could get things like buckets and whatnot that I lost on death. I think I was going to a friend's birthday party the coming weekend, so I named my character 'Birthday', to which Jagex assigned me the number 53. Tbh, I find that name really juvenile and stupid now, but playing RS with any other name would just feel weird. I've changed my name a few times, but I've always changed it back. And the rest, as they say, is history.

I remember kids in my school talking about it and then looking it up, but I don't remember making an account after that. However, my uncle and several cousins happened to play it so when I visited them once I made an account, richiepeep, that I eventually forgot about and I would imagine is deleted? Not sure. Either way, then at some point I made rwm28juni (now renamed reepicheap), not sure when that was though.

When I was in 9th grade in High School a friend of mine named Josh (who was like the reject of our group :D) had told us about the game. Several of us played it for a good 3-5 months. By the end of that first school year only my friend Gentry and I were the remaining players. Josh had already stopped as well.

So by about a quarter of the way into the second year Gentry got hacked by (we believe it was Josh but not sure) so he pretty much quit. I was the only remaining player.

When I first started playing we all thought it was so cool. Well you know how overwhelming the game can be for the first time player. There is just so much to do! So many places to learn about. It took a toll on everybody myself included and I personally think that's one thing that turned several of my friends away. I still remember being a noob thinking Draynor was Varrock :D

As a matter of fact, there was a person on Sal's Realm named Thai Tong I'm sure many of you know him ;)

He was one of the very first people who first told me about how to get stuff done and taught me a long the way. We have been friends for a very long time! Whenever I needed assistance he was there and when Dungeoneering first came out he took the time to teach me about it cause it didn't click with me at first.

Edited by Kaysie

I used to go around to a family friends house with my sister a lot, and I made friends with a guy there called Todd. I watched him playing for a while, and didn't think much about it, I just nagged him to play miniclip games instead. (I was I believe 9 years old) But then one day I think he asked if I wanted to make an account, and I said sure. I still remember him going through the process, getting to the terms and conditions saying "skip all this crap, heh heh" and me trying out for the first time. When I first saw bronze bars I thought they were chocolate. And that began my RuneScape story!

Back in 6th grade (~9 years ago) I was sleeping over a friend's house and he showed Runescape to me for the first time, it looked interesting so I gave it a shot and got hooked right away.

Saw it on AddictingGames when I was 10 or so, which I used to frequent. Tried it out and got me, my brother and my friend addicted to the game. My brother still plays (albeit not as much), my friend quit and I just took a few months' break from the game but will start playing again soon.

My sister was a role model for me in a lot of what I did. She's 5 years older than me and, when I was something like 7, she was discovering things like Neopets and RuneScape (and later, Whirled). So naturally, I followed suit. It annoyed her, but it was good fun for me. RuneScape was just the one thing that held my interest.

I started with an account called Cheetacub09 or something, which lasted me a year. It eventually got scammed from my 8-year-old hands, for an Amulet of Strength, somewhat less than 10K coins, and some Mithril items. I then started my current account.

So yeah, just went from there. Played on and off for like 8 years on this account, I think. I'll go check how many days until I can get my Veteran cape for 10 years.

EDIT: Yeah, 7 and a half years roughly on this one.

Edited by Hunter

My brothers introduced it to me when I was like 7, I created an account and then stopped playing like a day later. I picked it up again when I was around 10/11 and living in NZ when a good friend and I were looking for games to play and I remembered that it existed. Kinda played it on/off since then.

I was in 5th grade (about 2005) and my friend told me about RuneScape. I remember a group of us sat down and came up with names. I chose Nitua56 because its my name, Austin, spelled backwards without the "s". No idea about the 56, just a random number that I thought looked good.... I didn't have a good enough computer (well it might have been good enough but I wasn't smart enough to make it work) to really play it but every weekend we'd go to my aunts house and that's where I'd play.... all day. So thats one of the reasons that I'm not maxed after 8 years (holy crap) of playing.

Mine is kinda boring compared to your guys's :P.

Edited by Big Tree

A friend introduced it to me at first. I thought it was stupid so I didn't bother. My brother started playing so we shared an account. We got lost in the Varrock Sewers with it. We decided to start fresh after that, so he made his own account and made one for me. He also finished tutorial island for me. I was never really fond of the name he gave me, but this was before you could change your name so I had to stick with it.

A friend introduced it to me at first. I thought it was stupid so I didn't bother. My brother started playing so we shared an account. We got lost in the Varrock Sewers with it. We decided to start fresh after that, so he made his own account and made one for me. He also finished tutorial island for me. I was never really fond of the name he gave me, but this was before you could change your name so I had to stick with it.

That sounds familiar.

My nephews were over to visit and some show was on TV my husband wanted to watch. I searched for a free game online in order to get the nephews entertained so husband could watch tv in peace. We found runescape and I am the one who became addicted.

Just like most people, my friend showed me runescape in 4th grade. I would spend a lot of time exploring the wilderness and it was exciting to see how long I could survive. It wasn't until a year later that I got more into it and started exploring other aspects of the game, such as skilling.

Edited by Heleigh

It was big in my school during the Year 7-9 Me and a group of friends started the account I'm using now just to try it out. They ended up making their own once they saw how cool it was and I kept the original. Back in high-school, I would spend like 8-10 hours straight on the game. I got hooked though unlike my other friends, I never moved on and continue to waste countless hours of my life browsing this forum.

I guess I was around 14 when I saw my brother playing another dumb miniclip game. Then he said it was multiplayer, so I joined in (made him walk me from Lumbridge to Varrock a bunch. World map? what is that). For a few months we played off and on, then found out there was an actual RuneScape.com and that it was more than just a stupid flash game. Then we got hooked :c There'd be times during the summer where all we did was sit around watching TV and playing RS 10 hours a day for a week straight. (I've spent about 2.5% of my life playing RS. :box:)

After a few years in I started getting all debbie-downer about how all these accomplishments I worked so hard towards and felt so good about were in an online game. Realizing how sucked in I got to something so trivial killed the fun for me, and I found it harder and harder to play as things in my life started getting better.

OMG, your one of the Miniclipers? :o Didn't the veterans back then complain how about how most were immature and bratty 13 year olds? :xd: Looks like they were on to something man. ;)

Edited by Phoenix Rider

I found RS from Miniclip.

Back then I had no clue what a good game was capable of, and by comparison to what I was playing at the time, RS was the greatest thing ever made.

I blame that on my parents and their unreasonable grudge against video games. I swear to god, I didn't know who Bowser was until I played SSBM in late 2005 or so.

My nephews were over to visit and some show was on TV my husband wanted to watch. I searched for a free game online in order to get the nephews entertained so husband could watch tv in peace. We found runescape and I am the one who became addicted.

That's hilarious! Sounds like something that would happen to me.

I blame that on my parents and their unreasonable grudge against video games. I swear to god, I didn't know who Bowser was until I played SSBM in late 2005 or so.

My parents could never stand me playing it either in High School

My friend's children played, and I wanted to get to know them.

Wait, what? :blink:

She's in her 40s.

I'm in my 20s.

Her kids are teens, a bit younger than me.

I don't think it's weird. I'm friends with a Mom, so what?

If I like her, then it makes sense I might like them.

Plus it gives us something else to talk about.

She's pretty cool, talks about wild stuff she does.

Edited by Igloo2

My friend's children played, and I wanted to get to know them.

Wait, what? :blink:

She's in her 40s.

I'm in my 20s.

Her kids are teens, a bit younger than me.

I don't think it's weird. I'm friends with a Mom, so what?

If I like her, then it makes sense I might like them.

Plus it gives us something else to talk about.

She's pretty cool, talks about wild stuff she does.

Context was very important here. Your use of friend suggested she was about as old as you, and in that case a 40 year old wanting to get to know kids is a bit odd.

all my buddies played in middle school so i decided to give it a try. its been ~7 years since then now, and i'm the only one left playing regularly. 2 of my friends still play but only occasionally.