Sal's RuneScape Forum
Part

Will RuneScape ever be good again?

I'm an inactive player I played from 2007-2011 and I was just getting up to date on the game when I saw the Evolution of Combat update. IMO it looks like it totally ruined the game and makes me question whether I should start playing again. Every day for those 4 years, I played at least 4 hours a day and it was the greatest thing in my life the friends, fun, and not being bored. Seeing this update has made me more depressed than I have ever been and I just feel really bad that they did it. So should I play it again or just try and forget all the good memories I've had? Should I go back to RS 07?

Alot of it is subjective, NOONE who has ever played Runescape in any of its formats at any point along the way can ever truly recreate that 1st thrill/flush of playing a new game or content they were looking forward to.

That being said everyone has a favourite game or stage of development, if 07scape is what you want to play rather than current version so be it. Alot of people thought the same, & while there are still players on the servers that 1st rush of "OMG i miss this so much" wore out quickly for alot, in many cases because the engine may be the old one, but the community & mindset of players has moved on irrevocably.

Theres things they've lost along the way or changed irrevocably in RS2 & EOC, but not without some good additions or improvements, personally i find 07 graphics depressing, but they were reasonable for the time. The balance you, & we all, have to find is do you want to be stuck playing the game you remember fondly, or watch the game continue to grow, as much as some of that growth may be ugly mutations.

What Bwauder said. Just give the game a go and see if you enjoy it. Talking about it won't give you any sort of right impression.

I'd personally say the game is definitively worse, but not because of some nostalgia I have for the older game. It's actually pretty bad. The interface felt cumbersome and slow to me (Sometimes I press enter, it doesn't go through and I have 10 separate windows open..), the gameplay was choppy and I drop frames even on a pretty good computer.

You'd think with customizable interface the game would be easier to play, but I found it the opposite.

Edited by Zooey

I'd give it a shot. I think its still a good game that has some of the redeeming qualities you remember. If not then, well, life goes on.

I think at least part of the decline of RS is the change in the mentality of the player-base; they've grown up, don't like the same things they used to, want different things from games. On the other hand is the section of players that want consistency and don't like adjusting or changing the way they play. For these people, the EOC was unacceptable and many of them probably didn't even give it a chance. Its hard to say where RS would be without EOC, so I'm not going to try.