Sal's RuneScape Forum
Roy

Item Database Forum Needs a Cleanup

There are quite a few completed submissions buried deep under all the closed topics in the Item Database sub-forum. One of them is the dragon pickaxe which is almost 4 years old. I think we should do something about this and clean this forum up.

The problem is that when a submission is accepted and added to the site, the topic gets closed and that's it. This makes it very easy for other topics to be buried under those already accepted ones.

I can think of two solutions. One is to have all the topics that aren't closed appear before the closed ones. Or have the accepted submissions moved to a different sub-forum like we do with the guides. We could also have a "accepted but not 100% complete" sub-forum for those submissions that are still missing small things like alchemy prices.

And lastly, tinypic and proably all other sites that offer free image uploading, delete their images after some time and some time later they recycle their urls. Which has a few hilarious consequences as seen in some topics:

http://runescape.sal...10-giants-hand/

runescape.salmoneus.net/forums/topic/218188-12-plain-pizza/

This could be solved by replacing the url of the image in the topic by the url of the image on the site after it gets accepted.

This could be solved by replacing the url of the image in the topic by the url of the image on the site after it gets accepted.

This is done regardless. The image are hosted on Sal's server.

But also what 'shu said.

I meant on the original topic.

Oh, I see. That would be a lot of work and if the item is already uploaded I'm not sure how much that would even benefit anybody. Or is there maybe something?

Oh, I see. That would be a lot of work and if the item is already uploaded I'm not sure how much that would even benefit anybody. Or is there maybe something?

It might benefit people who go through the added content subforum, I would rather see the actual image than a girl taking a picture of herself...

I agree that it will take a lot of work to do this with all the submissions, but I was thinking of just the new ones, the ones added from now on. If that's not too much work as well.

It might benefit people who go through the added content subforum, I would rather see the actual image than a girl taking a picture of herself...

I agree that it will take a lot of work to do this with all the submissions, but I was thinking of just the new ones, the ones added from now on. If that's not too much work as well.

Yeah, what lilshu is saying is the problem. Since DMs at this time can't edit posts within the DB submissions forums (not at this time anyway) it'd be up to only the mods. It'd just add an extra step to the uploading process which is fairly tedious and long as it is :P If work that is only kind of useful and certainly not super important can be avoided it's only a good thing because even people who get to edit Sal's don't live forever :cute:

I'd be willing to venture a guess that people digging through month old threads for content that's already on the site is going to be a pretty rare occurrence. I don't think it'd be worth the effort.

What do you think about the new submissions forums? :o

Looks good.

Speak for yourself.

There are a lot of guides (mostly from the EOC drive) that have also been forgotten about. I realize that this will take a lot of work to put all of the stuff in but we put ourselves in this position and now it is time to get out of it. Once we have caught up with all of the old guides there won't be much left to do except add occasional new info.